Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: How much power doesan Engine make?
« Last post by CVB on Today at 08:25:12 »
@DevianID
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a unified theory of BTU physics (and economics, BTW :) ). It's just my experience after 33 years that whenever I think it could be in reach, another little contradiction rears its ugly head  :)
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Legend-Killer's abilities?
« Last post by klarg1 on Today at 08:10:20 »
Does anyone else remember the old Solaris VII boxed set rules?
Could the delay system explain the superiority of a Rifleman's weapon loadout against other 'Mechs? I remember
that it made machine guns insanely powerful because they had a delay of 0, and so could be fired every turn. If a Rifleman could fire the ACs more often than an Atlas' AC/20, that could explain a lot.

Not really. They would have significantly magnified both the heat issues of the large lasers and the minimum range penalties of the autocannons. I think AC5 might have had a good ROF, but not nearly as good as the machine gun.

You could cook up custom rules which shave off some heat or shorten the minimums. That would go a long way towards giving an advantage.
Fan Designs and Rules / Re: Tech Retcon List?
« Last post by CVB on Today at 08:04:52 »
For my own Against the Bot campaigns, I've retconned much of the weapons and equipment mentioned here to be available in my campaign.  The only thing I haven't done is create a "TRO Retcon" including this stuff in existing 'mechs and vehicles  :D  Maybe I'll head to the design boards at some point and post some stuff.
Would love to see it!
Fan Designs and Rules / Re: Tech Retcon List?
« Last post by BATTLEMASTER on Today at 07:35:22 »
For my own Against the Bot campaigns, I've retconned much of the weapons and equipment mentioned here to be available in my campaign.  The only thing I haven't done is create a "TRO Retcon" including this stuff in existing 'mechs and vehicles  :D  Maybe I'll head to the design boards at some point and post some stuff.
I find it somewhat amusing that a missile system which was developed before the space age is actually reintroduced in the Jihad / Dark Age of the BT universe. IThen again it was probably replaced by more efficient tech as time went on (as you said the system itself is bulky and heavy). Still waiting for someone to build a submarine with cruise missile launchers (which would perhaps make sense for water rich worlds)

I just made a 200 ton mini submarine in the Combat Vehicles section armed with a CL/50 and 2 rounds. Its kind of a WOB Vengeance weapon as its not quite powerful enough to blow up most things but it can cause some terror
Fan Fiction / Re: Operation Armageddon 3014
« Last post by Coriendal on Today at 07:18:10 »
At this point I can either detail the factions or fight the war.  Fighting the war is a big undertaking.  This is the AU I would love to play in though.

Thoughts?

After all, how the war goes will shape what many factions react to.  Tamar, the Capellans, Taurians, the Andurien/Canopus alliance, etc. will all change depending on how others fail or are successful.
I think the original game was designed without any of those engineering concerns and most later explanations are just attempts to fit together parts that had too many inherent contradictions in all too many places to really result in a seamless whole.

Pretty much  :thumbsup:  I think it's fun to talk about considering the same stuff is being worked out IRL right now.
Sounds quite logical. On the other hand, lifting ability depends solely on the total weight of the 'mech and is independent of any engine increase and the assumed myomer fraction of that increase.
  Lifting is dependent on engine increase, just in a way you weren't thinking.  A mech carrying things up to, what, 25%? of it's tonnage has its speed reduced by 3, or by half, whichever is greater.  So a bigger engine moves the things you pick up faster.  A lift hoist also increases both how much and how fast you can pick up/move something.  So while a larger engine doesn't increase your ARM lifting from a baseline 10%, it has a big impact on your carrying speed, and thus the distance you can move a weight (thus the power).

A real world example of what I am saying about reactors and power generation is to look at 2 identical real world fission reactors.  Reactor A has 1 cooling tower attached.  Reactor B has 2 cooling tower's attached.  Reactor B will produce more sustained power, because its cooling infrastructure is doubled.  Thus, like real world nuclear reactors, Fusion engine's sustained maximum power output has more to do with your cooling infrastructure than your engine rating, as the engines can produce more power than a mech can safely use as evidenced by mechs overheating and shutting down--and as the mech overheats, it gets slower and slower.

At this point, like you mentioned CVB, I am just trying to explain the observed engineering of mechs based on the hodgepodge of rules we have that describe the game universe.  If you dont like the fact that a tiny 10 fusion reactor can heat 3 homes (with 3 flamers), but also 20 homes (with 20 flamers) as long as you have 50 extra tons of heat dissipation, take it up with the creators of the game.  But Btech is based on a foundation of nearly limitless power coming out any size of tiny reactor.
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: Back on speed paint.(finished)
« Last post by agen2 on Today at 05:32:23 »
I no longer remembered what it meant to paint 3 miniatures at the same time.

IMG_20211208_160907 by agen2, su Flickr

IMG_20211208_161444 by agen2, su Flickr
IMG_20211208_161934 by agen2, su Flickr
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: How much power doesan Engine make?
« Last post by CVB on Today at 04:54:58 »
I believe, as the only thing that increases is the engine tonnage, some of that tonnage is going to the myomer and actuators that allow the mech to move faster.

A mech on a .5 G world can move 2x as fast, but if they exceed their normal speed of 6 (for a 200 rated centurion) they take leg critical damage.  If you increase the engine from a 200 to a 300, a centurion moving 7 hexes on that .5G world no longer takes leg and actuator damage.  Obviously there is a correlation between the size of the engine rating and the robustness of the actuators and structure, because the leg structure and actuators are stronger once you put a 300 engine in.  That's literally observed fact about the game.

Sounds quite logical. On the other hand, lifting ability depends solely on the total weight of the 'mech and is independent of any engine increase and the assumed myomer fraction of that increase.
I think the original game was designed without any of those engineering concerns and most later explanations are just attempts to fit together parts that had too many inherent contradictions in all too many places to really result in a seamless whole.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10