Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
08/21/3063 ‘The Oasis’

Colonel Seth Irons sat on cushions circling short tables beneath the awning of this watering hole as the sun set over the mountains of Valence. Although it had a long poetic name in the local tongue the simply building was simply known as ‘The Oasis’ to the Diamond Sharks and few Cloud Cobra not of the Quarani sect on Babylon. Khaki Patrol uniforms and the Artisan crafted clothing of the few Senior Merchants capable of footing the bill thus surrounded them blending into the sand beyond and masses of Vaga agitating for revenge and resources in town.

Opposite him and quite taller was an Elemental dressed in the white robes of a Cloud Cobra ascetic and a trio of his proteges from Camlaan Arsenal ‘on maneuvers’ each partially obscured due to the dim lighting of lanterns hung from the supports above. “Bowie, I think these Shayatin are of the same group that attacked your Point on Dagda. Same MO; High-speed abductions with high-tech equipment. Smash and Grab against lightly defended targets for maximum terror.”

The Elemental looked at him drinking from a great mug of spiced chai, “So you want me to convince the brothers to help you? Do what exactly?”

“You experienced what they do up close. Aren’t you angry about it? That they would do it again?”

A mild grimace came across the shadowed countenance of the larger man, but it was lost on the freeborns. “I have many things to be angry about but the perpetrators on Dagda were punished. We have no contact with these Vaga Dark Caste or most of the outside world as busy as we are with our own affairs. I only came because you asked me; and the journey was short.”

Seth’s iron fist hit the table, most of the cadets expected it and saved their ceramic wine cups from certain spills that would be tough to remove from the uniform. “What is the point of practicing martial skills in the monastery if you don’t use them outside it! There is an enemy out there.”

He pointed to the South. “And a Bandit King willing to fight them while Clan Warriors do nothing. I am going to Sumral with the Vaga to put down these Shayatin before we Warriors lose any more respect in the Pentagon Worlds.

If we are so unwilling to fight for the lower castes, then they will do it themselves and we lose everything. It will be the Pentagon Civil War all over again.

If you won’t do it for me then help your brother Burrocks redeem themselves in the eyes of the lower castes. Sheridan did not hesitate to throw the responsible parties under the bearcat. Khan N’Buta was quick to distance the Adders after the Absorption so surely that must be worth something to them.”

“I will ask but can make no promises. We had to accept the Cobra’s offer of sanctuary or face Reavings, despite our innocence.”

“You did nothing wrong, and we both paid for it.”

Bowie finished his tea and stood bending awkwardly to clear the pavilion’s fabric cover. A heavily tanned man with close cropped black hair, a heavy build, and red/green Fire Mandrill uniform entered the pavilion tent followed by a blonde Viking with tattoos on his bare chest, pale from to much time in a suit, marking him as Ghost Bear as if one could not discern by his sheer size. They were in turn followed by a total of eight other Elementals which caused many of the Merchant guests to depart their tables paying their servers on the way out. Servers who in turn watched the Elementals take up a larger circle with great trepidation.

“Maybe you should have another mug of tea.”

Seth’s eyes searched the Patrol officers present who all warily looked at one another not expecting two Points of Elementals, particularly fierce rivals like the Hell’s Horses’ Ghost Bear Abtakha and Fire Mandrills just as they were relaxing after a long day of stopping fights between Vaga. “I think you can handle it.”

“Two bottles of your strongest stuff and four cups!”
Shouted the Fire Mandrill, now clearly identified as a Marine due to his Air Assault patch. Bowie returned to his seat edging away slightly to give Seth and himself a clear view on the proceedings, “On the other hand, another mug sounds very appealing.”

Magnus Ghost sat opposite Claude Goulet, their massive arms took up the majority of the table space and at each hand sat a ceramic cup. Two of their fellow Elementals handled jugs of some kind of distilled cactus spirit on the side refilling each cup as it returned to the table. A quick test with a spark lighter showed it to be of sufficiently high proof. “Certain you do not wish a handicap as cutdown Kindraa Leader?”

The smaller Marine’s smile seemed mildly threatening, “Aff, I offer you the same.”

“Neg.”
“As you wish. I have been drinking this stuff since before you were even a sibbie. You are hardly out of it now little bear.”

“Let us begin then.”

Claude and Magnus each took a shot of the harsh herbal tasting spirit, then another, alternating hands while their comrades refilled the cups in a test of coordination as much as constitution. Magnus slowed taking longer and longer to find the proper cup while occasionally spilling it over himself penalized him on the count. Overcome with intoxication he collapsed on his side with a thunderous sound that filled the room with dread despite some of it being broken by the cushions laid atop hardpan. His youthful exuberance unable to match the experience of the older Marine who nevertheless quickly followed him after failing to high five his fellow Mandrills.

A triumphant cry rung out from the Mandrills who took the opportunity to empty the remaining spirits from the jugs while the Ghost Bears sulked at having to pay for their own drinks and that of the victors. After they had their fill the Elementals each grabbed a limb of their fallen comrade and gingerly exited the pavilion to the relief of the Diamond Shark Patrol and Oasis' staff.

Seth finished his own cup of wine which had grown warm while he watched the drunken Elementals exit with concern. The servers barely managed to secure the supporting rods of the tent after one of the Mandrills bumped it. Staff immediately began cleaning the mess left in their wake. “What a disappointment. Here I thought the Ghost Bears were made of tougher stuff.”
Off Topic / Re: Naval Pictures VIII: From Japan with love
« Last post by marauder648 on Today at 10:26:29 »
I would have preferred Leopard for the heraldic connection.

Same! Its always confused me, the Lion class was called The Big Cats. As in plural.

Yet the rest of the classes names were Princess Royal and Queen Mary :p If it had been Lion, Tiger and Leopard then yeah sure!
Oh also — just in case its news — using Chrome you can install FS and launch it in a window without the browser address bar, controls, etc.

FS can also be run fullscreen from Chrome installed or not, though obviously that's a no-go if you're pairing FS with TTS or Roll20 of course.

Though it's only a little extra space in each case, when it comes to text anti-aliasing and legibility complications, every little size bump can help.

Also, I totally get if you're using FF and prefer to stick with that. I do know for a fact though that FF does not support desktop installation & launching in a separate more minimal window. However, there may be general FF settings I don't know about that'd allow hiding the browser address bar etc.
Thanks!

I'm using Chrome and I have two 1080p monitors, one in landscape and one in portrait orientation. On the screen in landscape (i.e. normal) orientation going full screen actually makes the sixes, eights and nines squish less but the whole sheet is still a bit too small to use.

Really oddly on the similar screen (same make, model and settings) in portrait orientation the sheet is actually more zoomed in than it is on the other screen so everything is "larger", but for some reason the numbers still get emboldened and squished together even though the sheet has more pixels to work with than it does on the other screen.
BattleMechs / Re: PPC armed Locust variants
« Last post by Sabelkatten on Today at 10:06:18 »
By the Jihad it's just barely possible to make one with a HPPC. I'd say that's about the ultimate Locust... ^-^
Maybe it's just excuses.  Clan warriors can't possibly lose to the Inner Sphere, therefore it must be their dishonorable tactics and not because I'm not as good as I think I am.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

Against the Inner Sphere, strictly "honorable" combat plays to the Clanners' advantages so of course they insist on it, and if the IS "cheats" well then that just goes to show how superior we are to those surats anyway, etc. etc.

Against other Clanners where strict honor rules would only create an actually level playing field, well, of course find any way you can to abide by the letter while flouting the spirit, or completely circumvent them if needs must.
...when used through browser on 1080p monitor...

Oh also — just in case its news — using Chrome you can install FS and launch it in a window without the browser address bar, controls, etc.

FS can also be run fullscreen from Chrome installed or not, though obviously that's a no-go if you're pairing FS with TTS or Roll20 of course.

Though it's only a little extra space in each case, when it comes to text anti-aliasing and legibility complications, every little size bump can help.

Also, I totally get if you're using FF and prefer to stick with that. I do know for a fact though that FF does not support desktop installation & launching in a separate more minimal window. However, there may be general FF settings I don't know about that'd allow hiding the browser address bar etc.
You kill one rabbit and the Aussies never let you forget it.   ::)   We paid the littering fine years ago!   ;D
MegaMek Games / Re: Coming Soon to MegaMek
« Last post by Hammer on Today at 09:53:10 »
Will this replace all of the current camos, or just the unit ones? (i.e. what about the "Standard Camouflage" folder, which I'm rather fond of)

Can we just keep both? I use current faction camo stuff units as normal or alternative paint schemes.

The plan is to keep both. Deadborders pack will be the main one going forward. With his camo's renamed to match SeaVeas. Any extra camo's will be available as seperate download.
(I see hardcore crusaders who get puffed up at dishonorable spheroids as petulant children is what I'm saying).

I've had questions about this with almost all portrayals of Clanners. 
Clanners versus Inner Sphere: They don't follow the rules!  They are horrible!
Clanners versus Clanners: Constantly not following the rules in order to win.  Sneak attacks, headhunting, artillery blasts from a horde of artillery, ganging up on targets, intentionally choosing the obvious weakness of the opponent (an elemental challenging an aerospace pilot to unaugmented combat).

Up to a point I can explain it as Clanners exploting the system but able to maintain appearances of honor.  You didn't see me blast Kerensky with a cluster worth of artillery.  Yes I choose the less honorable combat to win my bloodname, but that's within the rules. etc.  But what I don't get is the supposed inability of any clanner to deal with any such tactics from the Inner Sphere. Not just complaining, but losing, because they are incapable of expecting or dealing with IS tricks. Clanners deal with Elementals daily, but can't deal with a camouflaged or hidden enemy?   

The weakness of Clanners facing the Inner Sphere seems overblown to me.
Maybe it's just excuses.  Clan warriors can't possibly lose to the Inner Sphere, therefore it must be their dishonorable tactics and not because I'm not as good as I think I am.
Damn it, books I do not have so I did not remember reading about them . . . I was still hoping for a 7/11 MRM Valkyrie when the Dracs held the world.  But now that you say that it reminds me we got one that was slightly faster.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10