Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
You lose skills going from 2 to 3 and 6 to 8 terms? ???

Fast/Slow Learner seems fiddly, but so was the original, so no loss there.

It Looks odd but it's about the skill point cost not the number of skills.
You gain the one that indicates the furthest level of education that you obtained at the institution.
You don't actual lose or gain anything as you don't get one then the other.

As for Fast/Slow Learner, what do you mean by fiddly?
If you are taking about the character creation part, that is just to give it a bonus during that stage.
The real bonus is the reduction in the cost to raise a skill during play.
Or you know, they I dunno wrote things down, I know unusual for FASA, but companies tend to keep all sorts of random stuff in archives for various reasons, and as for thinking ahead, the seeds for the Jihad can be found in the OG Comstar book, or at least the very start of a hint at what would become the seeds

Possibly, though I didn't get the sense that FASA was a very organised company? The early material all comes off as very seat-of-the-pants, to me.

(Not a criticism - I'd rather seat-of-the-pants inspiration and lots of content than I would the slow-to-non-existent release schedule of the 2010s. If you give me lots of crazy ideas, and then I can just take what works and ignore what doesn't.)

re: the Jihad, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot like the Clan Invasion itself? Reading the books from the 80s, I think you can clearly see that "the SLDF returns" and "ComStar tries something big" are Chekhov's guns there on the wall, just waiting to be fired. But I don't think the details of either the Clans or the Jihad existed with any specificity.
Fan Fiction / Re: Failure is mandatory...
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 04:27:23 »
Thank you Cannonshop for another very good story.

BUT
Why do you end them this early?

I would really like to have read about how the states develop in the 40 years of peace and then how it heats up and what does the navy do when the SLDF 3 attacks?
Do they make Deep penetration strikes or how do they stop the juggernaut?

On the other hand, if I may critizice you:

Some aspects of your stories become repetitory, e.g. Terrrans bad and only the Ngo`s can save the Commonwealth and with it the Inner Sphere.
What if one Terran would have enough of Stone and all the other Terran leaders and "removes" him and tries to be good?
You know, just like in this story where the LC expands away from the IS the Terrans decide to expand up and down (the milkyway galaxy is between 1000 and 3000 lightyears thick).

And one last question: How do you write such long stories (and overcome writers block etc)?
I would really like to know THE secret, because while I can begin the story, after a few pages it stops. I can imagine how the story continues but putting it down in writing / typing, thats one of the problems.

Let's see... I'll answer your last question.  Stephen King wrote a great non-fiction book.  "Danse Macabre".  Harlan Ellison wrote numerous articles on the act of writing as well.

In fact, when you dig into the subject, one thing stands out;

"WRITE".

King's advice in his book, on how to overcome blocks, summarizes as: "Write at least three words a day-no matter what."

why? because writers write.

Most people who claim to want to be writers or authors, really want to 'have written'.

It doesn't matter if it's crap, just get it on to the page,  (that's what second drafts and editors are for!) most
block phenomena comes down to anxiety, so overcome your anxiety.  the most effective way to do it, is to get it out of your head and onto the page.  If it's crap after that, you have a place start reworking it...

once you've hit the end of the story.

Editing, in short, is grunt-work that if you're actually wanting to TELL a story, you do after you've gotten it written down for the first time.
That's at least, what the professionals I mentioned, suggest.

I post 'cold', that is, without editing unless I'm working with a collaborator, because I don't have the patience to go through the professional process (tried it once, even got paid, didn't actually enjoy the process, hence why I'm not STILL writing canon materials.)

SO, if you really want to tell the story, you bang it out onto the page, whether it's in the forums, or in a website, or just on word.  Bang the words out even if you have to force it, and eventually, you won't have to force it anymore.

A little too much on the clipboard there? ???
Off Topic / Re: The Weather is HERE!
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 04:21:40 »
Alarming indeed!  I hope the doc was able to help...
You're quite welcome, and hooray for no longer having to prove you're human to the forum software!  :thumbsup:
Non-Canon Units / Re: PDF and Garrisons for any planet
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 04:19:23 »
That's certainly one way to deliver a 'mech!  :D

I think Goblins are pretty simple, but then again, I'm a grognard...  ::)
Fan Designs and Rules / Re: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 04:12:47 »
You lose skills going from 2 to 3 and 6 to 8 terms? ???

Fast/Slow Learner seems fiddly, but so was the original, so no loss there.
Fan Designs and Rules / Re: Extra-Light Autocannons
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 04:07:37 »
I think 1.5 is too low for the XLAC/2.  I'd bump it up to 2 tons and shave the range down to 4/8/13.

Similarly, I'd bump the XLAC/5 up to three tons and make its range 3/6/10.
Fan Designs and Rules / Re: ASF+Marine Dyad force with 3025 tech?
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 04:03:23 »
As a compromise, you could use the Marines as double-duty AsTechs.  That way, you only need to bring two full time Techs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register