Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Thought it was pretty common knowledge but . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia

Caeser advanced into Gaul, fought some skirmishes, found out the head of Gaulish resistance was holed up in a fortified town waiting for the Romans to move- Caeser did, to just outside of town.  Set up a encircling set of fortifications to hold them in, and when a few Gauls escaped before it was complete and scouts talked about Gaul forces moving, he builds another set of walls facing out.

He starved the Gauls out of Alesia, while beating off several increasingly desperate attacks from both directions.

Let alone what happened to the citizens in Alesia.  Short version is that Vercingetorix couldn't keep them in the town as they would use up his food supplies, and Caesar wouldn't let them out because they could provide intel to any other Gaulish forces.  So they were stuck outside the walls of Alesia, and inside the walls of the Roman fortifications.  Things got bad
The Periphery / Re: Pirates, how?
« Last post by idea weenie on Today at 06:47:17 »
And honestly with a number of places you are hitting... if you turn up with enough force you can probably get what you want [or enough of it] without having to shoot anyone or be shot at.

You turn up to many places on the fringes of the Inner Sphere with a mech company or two and demand X... they'll give you X because there is only two ways this can go:

1: You march in, kill anyone who resists, take X and walk out. Then maybe bring up the Firestarters and kill 90% of the population to make an example of why you don't pick 1.
2: They give you X, you walk away satisfied and no one has to get hurt.

I wonder if a few pirates might go an extra bit there, and use their Mechs to help out the local colony while they are loading the loot?  An Axeman might not be as good as a LoggerMech, but having a Mechwarrior spend a little extra time to clear cut part of the woods and haul the lumber back might be appreciated.  A Mech with a fusion-powered Flamer can be used to superheat some rocks, then another Mech with a tank of water pours the water on the rocks to shatter them to make them easier to remove.

Eventually the population just considers the pirates as a bunch of very cranky tax collectors.
Get on that, IW! (Would that be a BattleMech or an IndyMech? I know BT has at least one emergency rescue Mech.)

- Herb

Consider it done:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/st-bernard-25-ton-quad-rescue-industrialmech/

Went with IndustrialMech to reflect its civilian purposes.  A Combat Mech would have likely been retrofitted with weapons and lost in combat (though the free Environmental Sealing was nice).
Make sure the defender players are specifically advised that if they allow any serious forces(as in more than a single lance or so) to gain LoS and firing range to the Union, it's likely a goner.

Don't let them labor under the common misconception that your average DropShip is in any way durable. This has never been true for the entire history of the game, yet somehow pops up time and again.

And let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:
Much of the situation was dictated by 3 previous major battles and some RP skirmishes. So the defenders had little time and choices. They have some fire power so I expect they can do some severe damage before they go down. I think the lance of Saladin hover tanks could have some effect, they have 3 mechs with AC20s, and highly moded Centurion with a Gauss rifle, and the dropship as a diversion.
The dropship is unimportant to either side in this situation. I think it works to the defenders advantage if it soaks up hits that their mechs would receive. Losing the depot supplies are more important in the grand scheme.

It is likely no matter what they do they won't survive, but if they inflict enough damage it could make a difference down the road. When the defenders re-invade the planet with the remaining 2/3 of their forces.

One of the attacker's 2/3 pilots is out for the campaign do to injury sustained in the first battle. The attacker's special pilots and mechs are at risk to attrition.
This is Thermoplyae ,300 Spartans situation. I think I will play that angle up to bolster the defenders morale. If I was playing this, it would not be about winning, but rather how well I played the rather tough situation.

I am only running 2/3 a year for this Campaign reboot. This Campaign goes back to 86/87 I think. I have about 13/14 players coming. A few from out of state that played in our big GenCon events from 88/93. Some of those events came from replays of rather competitive Campaign games (I ran more than a few knife edge campaign games in the past). The GenCon players are familiar with the PCs from the Campaign. But this is the first time actually being in the Campaign. We have not seen these guys for 30 years.

We have a non campaign straight BT game scheduled for the night before. So in 2 weeks we have a lot of BT going on for the weekend.

I really appreciate all the insight from all of you. In general, I like the BV system and am likely to incorporate it more in the future. I am going back and looking at the original battle (in this current mini campaign) and doing a BV calculation to see what the numbers look like. The attackers won a huge victory that day, that really put the on planet defenders in a no win situation going forward.

BattleMechs / St Bernard (25-ton Quad Rescue IndustrialMech)
« Last post by idea weenie on Today at 06:30:52 »
Made a sarcastic comment once about a Quad Mech with 3 tons of rescue supplies split between its Head and CT locations, and now I am trying to back it up.  Expensive at just under 1.6 million C-Bills, but its capabilities should make it quite useful.

Key items and why I chose them:
1) Fusion reactor - nobody knows how long they may be out in the middle of the disaster, so a long-term power supply is always useful
2) Environmental Sealing - nobody knows the environment it may be operating in, so the Sealing is to let it handle nearly any setup that wounded humans could survive in
3) Industrial TSM - for when you really gotta move debris out of the way
4) Paramedic equipment - gotta keep the person alive and not bleeding (plus any special medicine they may need)
5) Cargo is to represent the basic accommodations for the rescuee along with an EMT in the cockpit's jump seat.
6) Recon Camera & Searchlight - gotta find the rescuee first, and if you need help the Searchlight pointing straight up will lead a VTOL to your location
7) 3 Jump Jets - for when the rescuee is on the other side of a 75-meter crevasse and you can't afford to backtrack
8) Heavy industrial Armor - gotta protect the rescuee until help arrives

Other design studies were performed to see if increasing the mass provided better capabilities (all other equipment was kept the same, including armor mass and type):
- a 30-ton version of this increases the cost to ~1.8 million C-Bills, has 2 tons available, has 4 crits available due to one of the Heat Sinks now being mounted in the enlarged engine
- a 35-ton version of this increases the cost to just over 2 million C-Bills, has 4 tons available, has 5 crits available due to two of the Heat Sinks now being mounted in the enlarged engine
- a 40-ton version of this increases the cost to ~2.3 million C-Bills, has 6 tons available, has 6 crits available due to three of the Heat Sinks now being mounted in the enlarged engine
- a 45-ton version of this increases the cost to ~2.9 million C-Bills, has 7 tons available, has 7 crits available due to four of the Heat Sinks now being mounted in the enlarged engine
- a 50-ton version of this increases the cost to ~3.2 million C-Bills, has 8 tons available, has 8 crits available due to five of the Heat Sinks now being mounted in the enlarged engine
- a 55-ton version of this increases the cost to ~3.55 million C-Bills, has 8.5 tons available, has 8 crits available due to five of the Heat Sinks now being mounted in the enlarged engine

The rough expectation is that the 40-ton will be the largest version to be sold, as going from 35 to 40 tons is only a ~300k C-Bill increase in cost but going from 40 to 45 tons is a ~600k C-Bill increase in cost.

Main issue I had were that I could not find a good 2-person cockpit so the pilot could carry an EMT in the jump seat to take care of the rescuee.

Code: [Select]
Rescue Mek: St Bernard

Mass: 25 tons
Chassis: Industrial Industrial Quad
Power Plant: 125 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
     Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor: Heavy Industrial
Armament:
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3025
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-E-D
Cost: 1,557,581 C-bills

Type: Rescue Mek
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tonnage: 25
Battle Value: 338

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure            Industrial              5
Engine                        125 Fusion              4
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 3
Heat Sink                     10                      0
Gyro                                                  2
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Heavy Industrial)72                    4.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         9     
     Center Torso            8         9     
     Center Torso (rear)               2     
     R/L Torso               6         8     
     R/L Torso (rear)                  2     
     FR/L Leg                6         8     
     RR/L Leg                6         8     

Weapons
and Ammo                              Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Heat Sink                               FRL        1        -       1.0   
Jump Jet                                 CT        1        -       0.5   
Jump Jet                                 RT        1        -       0.5   
Recon Camera                             RT        1        -       0.5   
Searchlight                              RT        1        -       0.5   
6 Industrial Triple Strength Myomer    RT/LT      6/6       -       0.0   
Heat Sink                               RLL        1        -       1.0   
Heat Sink                               FLL        1        -       1.0   
Heat Sink                                LT        1        -       1.0   
Jump Jet                                 LT        1        -       0.5   
Paramedic Equipment                      LT        1        -       0.25 
6 Industrial Triple Strength Myomer    RT/LT      6/6       -       0.0   
Cargo (1 ton)                            LT        1        -       1.0   
Environmental Sealing                 (1 each location)     -       2.5   
Heat Sink                               RRL        1        -       1.0   
Clan Chatterweb / Re: Can Trueborns Get Sick ?
« Last post by Alan Grant on Today at 06:30:44 »
I can't recall specifics right now, but in the old Clan Wolf and/or Clan Jade Falcon sourcebooks, during Operation Revival there were one to three occasions where the Clans attacked and conquered their Inner Sphere world target quite easily, crushing some planetary militia with few losses, then saw their warriors brought low by some local disease or illness that was common on that planet but that the Clans were unprepared for. Which in turn put that Clan unit out of commission for a while. As you can imagine this was seen as ironic.

So yes, Trueborns get sick.

Even if you discount them being trueborns though, think about what they generally are. Humans in prime physical condition, excluding those who were prone to illness as a child (I imagine it's difficult to test out of the sibko and become a warrior if you are particularly prone to being sick all the time, that trueborn cadet with a weak immune system, or who develops a lot of childhood medical complications probably gets relegated to a lower caste), in that 20-40 age range.

In that age 20-40 stage of human existence, you have an above average chance of getting through with fewer diseases and health problems and where, when you do get sick, you tend to bounce back faster. Heck you even bounce back from things like sleep disruption or hangovers faster. Your body can also handle a lot more poor nutrition choices like fast food quite easily. Somewhere in your 30s or 40s (it varies by person) age starts to slow you down and the risk factors of certain health conditions begin to increase. Your body's immune system can weaken, hormone levels tend to start changing, and so on. In your 20s you could go to that all-night party, throw yourself on a couch, and then go for a run the next day and probably feel mostly fine, you bounce back fast. In your 40s you do the same thing and it feels like you need DAYS to recover.

There are numerous exceptions to this, but that holds true for a lot of potential health issues and complications.

So again, we're talking about very healthy human specimens in peak physical condition. Akin to real world professional athletes who made the cut out of hundreds or even thousands of possible candidates. That has way more to do with it than them being trueborn.

It should be noted that we also know Clan medical science is pretty advanced. So that works in their favor too. The average Clan Trueborn warrior, age 20-35 is going to want for nothing. Medical treatments, therapeutics, preventatives, regrown limbs if viable, advanced cybernetics otherwise. The Clan will spare no expense on them. That's one of the advantages of being the leadership caste in a caste-based society. It's only once they reach solahma status without a bloodname that they start to be seen as lesser-than-deserving of the best available medical support.
Nope. That’s just how computer alphabetizing works.

Rattlesnake JR7-31 - Intro date of 3042 conflicts with Guardian ECM intro date of 3045.

Rattlesnake JR7-31P - Intro date of 3043 conflicts with C3 Slave intro date of 3050.

Availability era of both (Late Succession Wars) also conflicts with the Shrapnel-9-record-sheet.pdf era logo showing Republic era (Error on the RS likely).

Under investigation
Watching Matrix Resurrections. Its not as good as the original trilogy but still entertaing to rewatch a 2nd time to pick up on all the things i missed first time round.
The Periphery / Re: Pirates, how?
« Last post by VhenRa on Today at 06:06:04 »
And honestly with a number of places you are hitting... if you turn up with enough force you can probably get what you want [or enough of it] without having to shoot anyone or be shot at.

You turn up to many places on the fringes of the Inner Sphere with a mech company or two and demand X... they'll give you X because there is only two ways this can go:

1: You march in, kill anyone who resists, take X and walk out. Then maybe bring up the Firestarters and kill 90% of the population to make an example of why you don't pick 1.
2: They give you X, you walk away satisfied and no one has to get hurt.
BattleMechs / Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Last post by Wrangler on Today at 05:45:29 »
Sandman is from Battletechnology.  Its essentially modified / one-off Phoenix Hawk LAM with no weapons with it's large laser (gun) a very claustrophobia cylinder which it MechWarrior/Pilot uses to load people their rescuing from prisons or from captures.  The person knows he coming, because usually a device is sent a head of time to the rescuee with recording of Metallica's Enter the Sandman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10