Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
YOWZAH!!!!!

as if The Right Stuf anime shop doesn't ALREADY offer lots of cool stuff, they are now taking pre-orders for: an IN-SCALE Arch Angel Catapult Deck designed for 1/144 scale Gundam kits. Yes, it has lots of functional gimmicks and costs $250, but it still looks SWEET.  :drool:
Catalyst Game Labs Demo Team / Re: Gencon 2021
« Last post by garhkal on Today at 00:43:26 »
Does this also apply to origins??
Can confirm, it has all the guns. Even better: it has KNEES!!
I was not that they could build the nighthawk stealth armor easy anymore..
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: New Plastic
« Last post by Pat Payne on Today at 00:30:00 »
I'm actually fine buying more copies of the box sets. It's just that I don't see AGoAC on the CGL store right now. Beginner Box yes. Not the main box.

Actually, of all places, my main pusher military quartermaster to fulfill my plastic 'mech jones force building needs has been my local Barnes and Noble. They've been keeping the Beginner Box in pretty constant stocking and have the AGoAC box frequently as well.
General BattleTech Discussion / ForcePack replenishment ETA?
« Last post by Pat Payne on Today at 00:26:12 »
Hey, just wondering if along with all the Kickstarter goodness that's currently crossing the Pacific, if there's going to be more of the Command and Battle Force Packs shipping too. I missed the chance to snag a few more of those sweet Marauders and Phoenix Hawks on the CGL store, and can't wait to see that "out of stock" change back to "All military procurement contracts accepted"  ;)
Fan Art / Re: Falchion's Hive - Where Art Goes To Die
« Last post by Falchion on 10 May 2021, 23:52:31 »
Not dead, just been excessively busy with other stuff. On the bright side I've worked out some of the finer details of grinding out pieces:

WIPs, but in a better place than most.
The Inner Sphere / Re: RCT vs LCT
« Last post by Hellraiser on 10 May 2021, 23:37:17 »
The problem really is not that the FedSuns had LCTs . . . but they never brought the number of LCTs up to be comparable to pre-FCCW RCTs.  If they had the same amount of mech battalions- be they organized as LCTs or RCTs- then it would not be as much of a problem.  The problem is they replaced RCTs with LCTs because that was the extent of their mech forces post-Jihad & Stoner give away.  If they had actually raised 3 LCT formations for every RCT that was never re-constituted it would have given the AFFS what they needed to face their enemies on a more equal foots.  Realize that would also mean more BA and armor forces overall IIRC- both of which are better for defense . . .

The LCT concept is fine- the implementation sucked though.

Agreed.

The LCT was designed to fill a need.  That need was to have a Mech Battalion reinforce a planet under siege.

At the time, post Civil-War, post Op:Justicesomething, Mid-Jihad, Blakists, Taurians, & Liao's everwhere........ there was only 1 Mech Battalion available where the same area, a decade earlier, might have had 6 of them  (3 in Line RCT, 3 in Militia-RCT).

The concept was fine,  the size was fine,   the issue is Never going back up to Pre-FCCW Strength.

Even if they wanted to keep the March Lords reigned in then they still should have had all non-border Combat Orgs back up to Full Size in the form or RCTs & or a Mix of Both with 3-LCTs for every "missing" RCT.

I don't actually see the LCT as an Offense unit.   Its not even a great "Raiding" unit..... far too many tanks for that.

I also don't see it as something you slap on a Warship.

You load it onto a Starlord/Monolith that drops Docking Collars for LFBs  (Exist in fluff/fiction but no stats for them yet)

To me they have 2 jobs.

1.  Land & Push back a "Raid" that has overstayed its welcome.
2.  Move to Reinforce a world where Intel has an attack as imminent but not actually under assault by multiple regiments "Yet"

In earlier Eras you might have placed them at Robinson or just this side of the St. Ives Compact border in order to quick react to incursions in those areas.

A true "Raiding" force is more likely the same # of Mechs as the LCT but with Twice the Fighters & 1/2 the Tanks/BA.
You need something that can move VERY fast & hit quickly & then GTFO of their.
You don't want the Heavy Tank battalions associated with an LCT on a Raiding force in MOST cases.

I also can't even say the RCT is a "Planet Taker".
In most cases what you got in the 4th SW was like 2 RCTs,  a Merc Mech Regiment,  and a couple extra Line Brigades of Infantry/Armor to hit a world.
Call it 3 Mech Regiments & 25+ Conventional.
THAT is what you take a world with.
The RCT is just the middle ground for "familiarity" between that Solo Mech Regiment & the 2 Line Brigades of Conventional troops.
The RCT gives you a formation that can & does move well together & coordinate combined arms.
The solo units probably wont react as well.
But you still need them for special targets for the Mech & Taking over Garrison of the RCT by the Line Brigades.

Clan Chatterweb / Re: Female Trueborn Pregnancy
« Last post by Hellraiser on 10 May 2021, 23:16:47 »
I can’t remember the source but if a lower caste is not married (within his/her caste) by 25 they are then given proper a genetic pairing.  Since Peri was under 25 and not married her implant removal was not a top priority in the Scientist Caste.
Oh cool, I had not read that age part.
Probably from one of the few books I never got like the MW3 RPG Clan Companion or something like that.
The Inner Sphere / Re: RCT vs LCT
« Last post by Colt Ward on 10 May 2021, 23:06:49 »
People focus so much on the tactical level that I wonder if LCT vs RCT is not more of a strategic implementation as part of 'organizational technology' . . . consider the changes that happened to a army's speed over march when it went from a blob on movement to having divisions, brigades and regiments moving independently along the same axis of advance.

The problem really is not that the FedSuns had LCTs . . . but they never brought the number of LCTs up to be comparable to pre-FCCW RCTs.  If they had the same amount of mech battalions- be they organized as LCTs or RCTs- then it would not be as much of a problem.  The problem is they replaced RCTs with LCTs because that was the extent of their mech forces post-Jihad & Stoner give away.  If they had actually raised 3 LCT formations for every RCT that was never re-constituted it would have given the AFFS what they needed to face their enemies on a more equal foots.  Realize that would also mean more BA and armor forces overall IIRC- both of which are better for defense . . .

The LCT concept is fine- the implementation sucked though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register