Register Register

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion
« Last post by Daryk on 25 June 2022, 17:40:36 »
And I applaud TPTB for providing me the things I wanted, exactly in line with my complaints! :)
BattleMechs / Re: Royal Dragon
« Last post by garhkal on 25 June 2022, 17:40:13 »
If the LRM 15 fitted int the centre I would have in a heart beat.

ArtIV is relatively worth while but I feel the closer in damage with the pulse weapons more than makes up for it. Its a banger at long range, and at short it still hits reasonably well.

I almost actually took a SRM 6 launcher instead of the LRM 10, as it would greatly increase the damage output at short range, but in saying that, it almost leads itself to a LB10-X ac, in place of the gauss, which could have worked, as a crit machine, but as mentioned elsewhere, its not really its modus operandi.

OR optinally a streak 4!
Fan Fiction / Re: And I Feel Fine: Book III: Thunderclap
« Last post by Liam's Ghost on 25 June 2022, 17:36:13 »
"We are nothing but technicians reading from a manual," Doctor Phineas Grove said to himself as he reviewed the information in front of him.

It all lined up. The Director General's genetic profile, the structure and makeup of his tumor, the specific chemistry of the medications indicated for its treatment. It all lined up.

This condition dictated these drugs at these dosages, with definitively positive results eliminating the cancer in 99.9% of all recorded cases. This protocol worked, and worked fantastically well.

But the more he looked at the data on the medication, the more certain Phineas was that he had no idea how it worked. It didn't match any of the numerous standard forms of targeted cancer medications he was already familiar with. In fact, the actual mechanism of action wasn't clear at all.

A lot of doctors wouldn't have cared to know. For the most part, Medicine was a solved game in the Bastion. Input symptomology, genetic profile, and testing panels, output cure. A machine could (and frequently did) handle that. The only medical professionals still studying the why of things were almost all engaged in pure research, not patient care.

The fact that Phineas was an exception was part of the reason he was here. The Director General had insisted his physician be someone who actually knew the science behind the medicine, rather than someone who simply checked off a list and dispensed pills.

And yet, Phineas hadn't really bothered to look too deeply into the treatment regimen. It was just cancer, after all...

"You're up late," a voice came from the door. "There a problem?"

Phineas looked up and smiled as Beverly came into the room, even as with one hand he closed the file he was reading. "Nothing I can find," he said. "Just some light reading. You off the clock?"

Beverly raised an eyebrow briefly, but didn't say anything as she sat down on the couch. "Long day."

Phineas got up from his seat and went over to the couch, Beverly leaning against him appreciatively. It happens, you know? You work close together, you start to admire each other, become friends, sometimes something more...

The Director General had done them a favor, in a way. Before being stationed at the Embassy, both of them had been responsible for the Director General's well being, albeit from different directions, which made any deep personal relationship a conflict of interests. Phineas was still Hanse's physician of record, but Beverly had handed over her job to a subordinate so she could take over Embassy security. No conflict to worry about anymore, they could see where things go.

Well... "I really can't talk about it," Phineas said, sensing a bit of tension. Beverly sighed.

"I know," she said. "Old habits."

Phineas smiled again and squeezed her a little feeling her relax a bit. There was a lot unspoken in those few words. Beverly would have seen the name on the file, and thus would have reason to worry, but Phineas was at ease. Even if he wouldn't talk about his patients, she would know he wasn't worried, so she didn't need to be either.

That's what made this work so well, they just got each other.

And really, there wasn't anything to worry about. The treatment worked, even if Phineas wasn't sure how. It had been proven over the course of nearly two centuries of successful uses. Really, the only nagging doubt was his own ego. "How was your day?"

"Bleh," Beverly replied. "Same old stuff, mostly. We've been seeing a spike in angry people outside the embassy the last few days, but nothing major, yet. We may want to have extra security on some of your talks though."

"If you think it's necessary," Phineas said. "They'll still be discrete, though, right?"

"For now," Beverly replied. Openly, they relied on Lyran security assistance as a show of good faith, but covertly the assistant that accompanied Phineas during his lectures at Tharkad's various medical institutes was a fully augmented and discretely armed marine. "If we start having incidents, we might have to arrange more overt measures to deter an incident."

"Don't care for that," Phineas replied. "Sends an ugly message to provide life saving knowledge while being watched over by a uniformed guard."

Beverly looked at him. "But you know why I'd order it, right?"

Phineas sighed. "People all over this world are dying of problems we solved ages ago. It's easy for people to think we're not helping them enough and start to resent us."

Beverly leaned her head back on his shoulder. "Or someone decides you're a bundle of secrets they could monetize. Either way, you and me have a good thing going here. Call it a conflict of interests, but I'm keeping you safe."
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion
« Last post by Sartris on 25 June 2022, 17:31:45 »
I'm trying to set a going example for the rest of the 30-40 year old kids that will start acting like 12 yo as soon as the KS goes live.

Too quixotic for my tastes. Especially since most of the complainers buy a pile of stuff anyway
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Grand Melee Questions
« Last post by bugman on 25 June 2022, 17:29:04 »
I would probably go with 3.5k or 4k and single mech format. This allows you lots of mech choices from light to assualt. With cheaper mechs allowing significant pilot upgrades. Gunnery and piloting with a max 2 separation. Single mech format creates a all or nothing atmosphere. Multi units can't create that type of tension.
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: What type of CBT do you play?
« Last post by acemarke on 25 June 2022, 17:25:45 »
The Dayton/Fairborn group primarily plays the Solaris Melee Challenge ruleset, since our GM runs that at Gencon/Origins.

(We also occasionally do one-off scenarios, like the Worldwide events or other random bits.)

Since we resumed from COVID, I've also seen another group or two start playing at our FLGS, and they seem to be doing more of a MW:Destiny mixed RPG+mech campaign.
BattleMechs / Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Last post by Daryk on 25 June 2022, 17:12:31 »
Well, that settles that then!  8)
BattleMechs / Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Last post by HABeas2 on 25 June 2022, 17:05:09 »
The Tankus class has possibly the broadest range of looks, given that there are 3 Mech modes (Shootist, Highlander, and Cyclops) and four tank modes (Ajax, Morrigu, Marksman M1, and Demolisher). I have the Banshee as an alternate Mech form for the Leader class, specifically used for the Primus Thermal (Rodimus Prime) and Star Train Alpha (Astrotrain's Mech/"Train" mode).

And since I already "canonized" MechaTankus as a Shootist in the original WttNC, I'm sticking with that. ;)

Also, I kind of already drew MechaT here...

- Herb
Fan Fiction / Re: Self Configuring Modular Robot.
« Last post by Daryk on 25 June 2022, 17:02:50 »
It depends on how deeply he's looking into the physics... that's an EXPENSIVE problem...
Fan Fiction / Re: Self Configuring Modular Robot.
« Last post by glitterboy2098 on 25 June 2022, 16:59:10 »
Agreed... I don't think it would be a priority for Sun Tzu.
after they learn about Joshua and see how that improves the relationshiop between the fedcom and the FWL i can see him directing his people to look into cholman's, but he'll be playing catch up.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]