Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Do infantry platoons count as 1 or 4 "units"  (Read 983 times)

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
(Answered) Do infantry platoons count as 1 or 4 "units"
« on: 10 August 2022, 16:37:30 »
AS:CE lists conventional infantry companies as being "3-4 platoons", but Campaign Operations drops the distinct infantry company from the table. I'm assuming that they work like infantry points and level 1s, with a full platoon being the equivalent of 1 mech (so 4 platoons to a lance and 12 to a company), but I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Edit: completely missed the explanation of IS infantry organization in TW, sorry. Kind of odd that platoons aren't organisational equivalents to Lv1s and points, but alright. Go ahead and delete this question if y'all need to.

Edit 2: And missed the part in AS where it clarifies how infantry units work in formation building, which implies that actually yes a platoon is the same as a point and a level 1, "infantry companies" are just basically lances and subsidary to normal companies... Still confused as to the why, but that makes all rules-related parts of my question already answered. I just didn't do my research properly, sorry.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2022, 14:37:06 by Xotl »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
Re: Do infantry platoons count as 1 or 4 "units"?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2022, 00:18:17 »
no worries. we're here to help. there's a lot to keep track of.

the platoon is technically the lance level with the squad being the equivalent of an individual mech or vehicle (even if squad deployment is in advanced rule territory). obviously comstar, the world of blake, and the clans use their own organization with the level I / point acting as the base organizational unit.

on a functional level during regular play, it doesn't matter much. if you are creating a unit of your own, 3-4 platoons make a company.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?