Register Register

Author Topic: [SO] Maintenance/Repair and Time  (Read 6173 times)

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
[SO] Maintenance/Repair and Time
« on: 26 January 2011, 14:29:15 »
I'm running a campaign with the Jihad Hot Spots tracks system.  I'm integrating the Strat Ops maintenance/repair/salvage system (will be my first time using it) but because the tracks often have a month or two between scenarios (we run some scenarios in between but not a ton), what's the best way to scale up the time to make the game challenging?  Obviously I need to scale those hours in the day to something that fits within the tracks.  Any suggestions?

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
Re: [SO] Maintenance/Repair and Time
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 20:05:46 »
Just call it x number of days for actual repairs. The rest is spent floating at zero G at a jump point waiting for the KF drive to charge and your techs don't have Zero-G Ops (or whatever other excuse you want to use for reducing the repair time).
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

PhoeniX0302

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 05:31:38 »
Wasn't somewhere in SO written that the normal cycle is one day and this day is worth 8 hours of efficient work?

That said, you could try to calculate the overall working hours of all your techs minus the time in transit in a solar system or at a jump point as doulos05 suggested.
Perhaps this works for you...?!

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 06:31:57 »
If you're dealing with months the best answer is probably to badly undecrew your tech staff.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 20:54:58 »
Don't calculate, "calculate".

As in, don't actually go through the trouble of figuring out exactly how much time they have to do repairs. Decide how long you want them to have and fluff the extra time as unproductive for whatever reason you like. If you tell the players up front, "I'm setting the repair time arbitrarily to maintain game balance", I doubt they'll object too loudly and then you're free to create whatever reason you deem best to fluff why they didn't repair during the extra time
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

Mart_UK

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2011, 04:16:17 »
In a working technician's day there will be a number of things that take away from his/her productive total if you want to pad out the time, in no particular order:

Paperwork, ordering spares, collecting spares, getting tools together, meals and breaks, briefings, checking how to do the job, teaching a new tech how to do a task, unplanned technical issues and goofing around, I mean working hard  ;).  Working with older tools and 'mechs will also increase the time scale, if the equipment is seeing heavy use then it'll need more maint time as niggling issues mount up, they might not be major enough to demand an entry of their own but they take up time.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2011, 16:28:16 »
Wasn't somewhere in SO written that the normal cycle is one day and this day is worth 8 hours of efficient work?
StratOps is fairly ambiguous on the matter IIRC.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Peleandros

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2011, 16:10:41 »
I was running a campaign for a while under the Strat Ops rules, and you'll be quite surprised if you actually use the maintenance rolls, how much of the time between worlds you'll actually spend FIXING maintenance flaws.  The return trip (if you're lucky enough to have one) will combine both maintenance repair and battle damage repair. You'll find that you actually sometimes don't have ENOUGH time between worlds.

A lot of it all depends on the number of Tech Teams you have, their quality, the quality of the Mechs you're using, and the space you have to work in.

But yeah, a cycle was left (as I understood it) to be up to the determining player (or GM's) discretion.  We used to make one maintenance check a week, then use the time in the week (40 hours, cause what self-respecting tech works overtime without getting paid for it) to do what you need to.

Also, another tip if you wanna be ultra-realistic is actually break down the time per day.  It's amazing when you stop and think that that installing that heat sink, if it's on a customized crappy-quality mech, could take ALL DAY.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here." - Jayne, Firefly (The Train Job)

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2011, 17:31:29 »
StratOps is fairly ambiguous on the matter IIRC.

Page 166 would disagree with you.

"Unless agreed otherwise (or dictated by the conditions of a specific scenario), players have eight hours between each scenario during which they can carry out maintenance and repairs. If players are tracking time across days, weeks, months and so on, then each day provides eight hours of productive work. This is referred to as the Maintenance/Repair Cycle."
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2011, 02:18:45 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've run into a little bit of a different problem now in interpreting strat ops maintenance rules.  Here's how I went about repairing a 11 mechs (former company lost a shadow hawk in combat) with 3 Tech teams at regular experience.  Its a merc unit with a D quality rating during the Jihad.

1) Did a maintenance check on each mech indivdually, no mechs had a margin of success or failure to alter the quality of the mech or cause any damage.

2) Ran diagnostics on the two mechs that had parts that were possible to repair, an ECM suite and a MPL.  The ECM couldn't be repaired, the MPL could.

3) Made one attempt per part to obtain replacement parts, as the unit had to quickly leave an area.  Was able to find all the necessary armor, ferro fibrous armor, endo steel, regular internal structure, MPL, ECM, sensors and life support for a destroyed head (single strike hatchet!  :D), and all necessary leg actuators for a mech that had damage to its hip requiring full replacement.

This is the first part where I start to get confused.  What do I roll to find internal structure?  I noticed that armor is obtained in 5 ton lots (with 16 points equalling 1 ton, thats 80 points of armor).  Is internal structure treated the same?

Further strat ops states that in looking for replacement parts for a limb/head/body section you need to replace the part (cockpit) at a cost of (2,400 C bills x Mech tonnage)/10.  In attempting to obtain the cockpit I rolled "salvage quality".  Now I obtained the sensors and life support without trouble, and I've rolled for armor and internal structure (and succeeded on both 5 ton lots).  Do I actually need to roll separately for the cockpit?

4) Now I attempted to repair parts that were repairable with the understanding that if I failed a repair, I could then spend more time and replace it assuming I had the part.  I successfully repaired a MPL (leaving me with a spare I'd obtained and purchased just in case).  Now I attempted to repair some internal structure, but some rolls failed.  But, where on the Master Repair Table (p. 183 onwards) are the rolls for replacing internal structure?  Do you replace the entire location (thus at a +3)?

It helped to write this down too, and I'm curious to hear if anyone else does the Maintenance repair cycle differently.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2011, 19:44:31 »
Page 166 would disagree with you.

"Unless agreed otherwise (or dictated by the conditions of a specific scenario), players have eight hours between each scenario during which they can carry out maintenance and repairs. If players are tracking time across days, weeks, months and so on, then each day provides eight hours of productive work. This is referred to as the Maintenance/Repair Cycle."
My bad, but thus the IIRC.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2011, 20:27:09 »
My bad, but thus the IIRC.

's ok. These books are so frickin' huge that I usually do searches than grab the ToC/indexes.

It also helped that I looked up that info about a month or so ago, so it was still fresh. ^_^
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire