Register Register

Author Topic: [SO] Tech rating question.  (Read 2793 times)

noobk

• Master Sergeant
[SO] Tech rating question.
« on: 09 February 2011, 17:28:14 »
The Tech rating table is confusing to me, or will not be so confusing if my assumption is correct.

If your tech rating is A then you get a -4 modifier to your TN. Are you getting that dramatic of a drop on your TN because they assume the technology is old and parts are easily accessible?

BTW I am writing a C++ program for my personal use to do all the work for me on maintenance and keeping track of time and what not. I'm putting in some of the variables and i'm trying to understand things as a I go along. The modifier threw me for a loop at first because I thought the lower the letter the worse things were. But -4 seems good to me for something rated A.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
Re: [SO] Tech rating question.
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2011, 01:25:36 »
Exactly.  Older = more common.  The chances of finding armour plating are pretty high, but its going to be very difficult to find/work with/install a Void Signature System.

When you have the program written it'd be great if you could share.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2011, 17:04:42 »
The other fun part is that for the planetary indicators, 'A' means prime real estate, and 'F' means not as good.  In technology, 'A' means low-tech, and 'F' means Clan.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2011, 00:13:34 »
The other fun part is that for the planetary indicators, 'A' means prime real estate, and 'F' means not as good.  In technology, 'A' means low-tech, and 'F' means Clan.

Ya all the inverted numbers/letters drive me a little crazy too.

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2011, 14:25:48 »
An update on the program.

I have a basic menu style coded in waiting for more options. I'm designing the "database" currently. I'm organizing the mechs via era to determine the era modifier. I have most of my source files organized and ready for info and options to be dumped into them to fill the database with the required info. Right now though I'm using an Atlas for my example mech to play with. I'm now working on the data structure for the Atlas so that after you have selected it from the database you can then go through the repair process. I'm currently on the learning curve with Data Structures though, hopefully I will have some time today to work on it.

I work on an Apple so the program is currently being designed to work in your Unix/Terminal window. When the program is complete I will make the switch over to Windows so it will be available to windows users as well and will run in your DOS prompt.

@Herb or anybody who works for Catalyst.

My fear is copyright issues. I'm making this for personal use right now and I'm afraid of what would happen if/when I do pass the program out for others to use. Since we all know others would be interested if I get this running and it works to standard. I'm not very educated on copyright laws and what not, and would rather not get in trouble. I see stuff fly around the internet all time using BattleTech products, but that does not mean I know what I'm doing if i pass this thing out publicly. Obviously the only real rule I know is don't make any money off of it. If somebody could explain to me what I am allowed and not allowed to do I would appreciate it for my own personal comfort!  ;D

The current menu operates something like this.

Main Menu
BattleMechs (Functional)
Repair Options (Non-Functional)

BattleMechs Menu
Era 3025 (Functional)

Era 3025 Menu
Light BattleMechs
Medium BattleMechs
Heavy BattleMechs
Assault BattleMechs

Assault BattleMechs Menu
Atlas AR7-D

So once you have navigated all the appropiate menus and selected your mech, you can then load it into the repair options. From there I hope to keep track of time, c-bills, ect ect. I will have to set up a way of modifying the mech to account for it's battle damage taken. But as I said above I have to understand data structures so I know how to allocate the attributes for all the mechs. Possibly make a menu so you can just input all the info yourself. We will see, I'm having a blast and doing lots of learning while i'm working on this project.

Anyways that's where I'm at for anyone who is curious. Any ideas please throw them out there. What I have right now is a skeleton.