Register Register

Author Topic: Quick Strike at Origins and GenCon  (Read 2624 times)

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
Quick Strike at Origins and GenCon
« on: 06 June 2013, 17:46:38 »
Just to let you know, there will be Quick Strike events for players at Origins and Gencon this year.

Quick Strike Skirmishes is an event that accommodates veteran or new players.  Each time slot of Skirmish is a one on one game, scheduled for two hours, with each player fielding two lances of 'Mechs.

Players unfamiliar with Quick Strike will be given 'Mechs and scenarios designed to teach them the rules as they play. the players will field and play their initial lance, then call on their reinforcement lance when needed after absorbing the rules.  After completing  their first event, players will be able to move onto Veteran Skirmish scenarios.

Veteran Quick Strike Players will have scenarios with advanced units, more complex victory conditions, and use both of their lances at once.

The Skirmish game will feature both map and 3d terrain boards for players wishing to try both styles of play.

Quick Strike Operations is a larger multiplayer event.  This four hour game will feature multiple battalions on 3D terrain. 

Please check the convention schedules on site (some updating it still going on), or the Catalyst HQ table in the Gaming Hall for details on specific event times.  I'll post updates on event times later on. At the convention if you have questions about the events, look for me, I'll be the guy in the Catalyst Game Labs Shirt. What, not detailed enough? Ok, I'll be wearing a Fedora as well.

Nerroth

• Captain
Re: Quick Strike at Origins and GenCon
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 17:57:57 »
Will there be a QS/AS event held at GenCon designed to tie in to the "Fall of Terra" battle being planned for "classic" BT?

With a (probably minor, but still present) chance to have one's exploits in that event echoed in the forthcoming ilClan sourcebook, it would be handy to see this scale of play represented also.

(Not that I would be there to play in either scale, sadly.)

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2013, 09:53:47 »
Will there be a QS/AS event held at GenCon designed to tie in to the "Fall of Terra" battle being planned for "classic" BT?

The QS/AS events are not tied into any of the other ongoing events.

fuzbuckle

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2013, 22:15:09 »
I played the veteran event at Origins, and it was a fun scenario.  It had good force selections and prettu sweet terrain.  The highlight for me, since WJP wiped the floor with me, was that I DFA'd his Whammy IIC with a Fed Suns Lynx.  I had been pouring shot after bloody shot into the thing and decided to go out in a blaze of glory.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2013, 23:25:06 »
I'd be interested in finding out how many new players try QS\AS out thanks to these events. I think AS could be a great way to introduce folks to BT. I know QS has been a topic among the faithful in my area and AS seems to garner a fair amount of interest when I talk to others about it.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2013, 18:00:54 »
I played the veteran event at Origins, and it was a fun scenario.  It had good force selections and prettu sweet terrain.  The highlight for me, since WJP wiped the floor with me, was that I DFA'd his Whammy IIC with a Fed Suns Lynx.  I had been pouring shot after bloody shot into the thing and decided to go out in a blaze of glory.

That WIIC had a very charmed life. You couldn't buy an 8+ for about 3 turns with a stack of C-Bills when targeting it. That sort of helped.  that's sort of like one mech absorbing the fire of 2 Lances for about 9-12 turns, pretty remarkable.

Meanwhile, the case from where that Dasher is contained keeps making growling noises.  I think its hungry again.

I gained a lot of information from that, and I'm ramping up and improving the big game for GenCon.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2013, 15:07:42 »
Are we going to be using the Alpha Strike rules at Gencon or Quickstrike?