Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) CO (2021 revision): Calculating Infantry/BA peacetime fuel costs  (Read 353 times)

jasonf

• Sergeant
I think there is most likely an errata in here, but I can't figure out what it is, so I thought it best to ask here first.

The issue is how to calculate fuel costs for conventional infantry and BA using the updated rules in the revised Campaign Ops (p.24). Under the earlier version, the cost was 2% of the units' cargo tonnage (or actual mass for BA).

The revised CO states the following:
Combat vehicles have a fuel capacity equal to 10% of their engine mass. To determine fuel usage, jump, mechanized, and motorized infantry are treated as vehicles equal to the mass of the infantry compartment able to carry them. Jump-capable battle armor are also treated as vehicles equal to their mass.

The problem is that CV fuel consumption is based on their engine mass, and infantry/BA don't have engines, so it is not clear what to do next once you convert their weight to "vehicle mass."

If it is an errata, I can think of two possibilities:
1. You might be expected to multiply the unit's "vehicle mass" by its MP to get an engine rating... but then you still don't know the engine type to assume (and therefore don't know its mass)
2. "Vehicle mass" may instead refer to a "a vehicle's engine mass," but then I think it'd just be easier to state that CI/BA fuel capacity is 10% of its cargo capacity/BA unit weight.

Any clarification you could give would be super helpful, thanks!

« Last Edit: 20 August 2021, 14:46:00 by Xotl »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: CO (2021 revision): Calculating Infantry/BA peacetime fuel costs
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2021, 11:42:23 »
It seems like my errata on that paragraph was fixing a non-existent problem and it should be reverted to the original wording:

Jump, mechanized, and motorized conventional infantry use fuel equal to 2 percent of the mass of the infantry compartment able to carry them. Jump-capable battle armor use fuel equal to 2 percent of their mass.

Does that make sense?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

jasonf

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2021, 14:29:54 »
Yes, the original wording makes sense to me as long as it makes sense to TPTB.

The following paragraph in both versions of CO gives which type of fuel to use (which is now included in CO), so the fuel costs are readily calculable using that rule.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2021, 14:45:54 »
Slated for the new CO reprint.  Thanks!
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register