Register Register

Author Topic: IO: Battleforce: how is the "strong" regiment defined?  (Read 343 times)

theagent

• Master Sergeant
IO: Battleforce: how is the "strong" regiment defined?
« on: 07 September 2022, 19:58:10 »
So, I was noticing in the IO:Battleforce book that they have rules for creating units for Battleforce play.  They even have the option of having an "advanced" unit:  instead of a standard formation, you get either an "understrength" unit (i.e. battalion has only 2 companies in it) or a "reinforced" unit (i.e. the battalion has 4 companies). 

However...on p. 130, for the "Advanced Formations Table", there's an additional unit type for regiments:  the "strong" regiment.  Now, the way the other tables work is there's a 33% chance of either understrength/standard/reinforced if it's a Company or Battalion...but for Regiments it's an equal 25% chance for understrength/standard/reinforced/strong. 

The only indication of what that is, however, is that on p. 101 a "strong" regiment is five battalions (plus an optional command company)...but there's no explanation for what that means.  At least with the understrength/reinforced units, the "Force Composition Table" on p. 131 may only explicitly list "Battalions", but their trinary structure allows them to be applied to understrength/reinforced Companies & Regiments.  But does the "Strong" Regiment use the "Reinforced" table, adding a 5th Battalion of the same weight class as the Regiment?  Can it be just an additional Battalion of any weight class?  Or is there something that I've missed somewhere?

On a side note...I've noticed that the "Force Weight Class Table" on p. 130 skews heavily towards Medium units.  Based on the 2D6 roll (compared to the similar table from TW), the percentage of Light units is roughly the same (10/36), but the Mediums are drastically increased (goes from 11/36 to 20/36), with the Heavies & Assaults dropping way down (Heavies drop from 9/36 to 3/36, Assaults drop from 6/36 to 3/36).  Not sure if this is meant to help speed up Battleforce games, or if there's meant to be an in-game reason for it.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
Re: IO: Battleforce: how is the "strong" regiment defined?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2022, 19:58:43 »
Sorry, follow-up question.  For the tables on p. 131, I understand why some of the results are there (i.e. a "Light" Battalion with 1 Light & 2 Medium Companies technically skews more towards the Medium weight class).  However, I was curious about the "1-2" result for the Heavy Column for a standard Battalion.  The listed result there is "2 Medium and 1 Heavy" for the companies, which is technically the same as the "5-6" result for a Medium Battalion...but the "3-4" result jumps straight to 3 Heavy.  I was wondering if it was maybe a misprint, & that it was supposed to be "1 Medium, 2 Heavy" to go with the general progression for that column (& mirror the progression in the Medium column)?