Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) PPC Capacitors  (Read 3314 times)

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
(Answered) PPC Capacitors
« on: 08 July 2013, 15:58:31 »
So I'm looking at building a combat vehicle with a PPC as the primary weapon, and to give it a bit more punch, I was looking at installing PPC capacitors alongside it, which is where I came across a few questions that I couldn't answer myself, as capacitors seem to have been designed for mechs (understandable, since this is a mech fighting game).

First; Can a PPC be linked to multiple capacitors? If you could tank the heat penalty and were willing to risk the weapon system taking up more space, could you install as many as you wanted?

Second; Is there a limit to the number of capacitors that can be charged per turn? If multiple capacitors linked to a single weapon are not possible, please disregard this.

Third; The entry for PPC capacitors states that charging is an action that generates 5 heat, that keeping a capacitor charged generates 5 heat per turn, and that firing a charged weapon generates 5 additional heat. Does this mean that to charge and fire a PPC with a capacitor, or to fire with a charged capacitor, generates 10 heat per capacitor discharged?

Fourth; Does all that excess heat from the capacitors need to be compensated for with heat sinks, or is is just the +5 heat for firing, as that is the only part of the cycle that an energy weapon is generating heat?

Fifth; Do capacitors count toward the weight of a targeting computer, or to put it another way, are they counted as part of the weapon system or are they a separate system that grants a bonus to another system?

Sixth; Can you buy a targeting computer for a single weapon, and not have any other system on the unit benefit from it, or do you have to buy one for all weapons together? It's for a multi-crew vehicle with one main weapon and a few secondary lasers, but the lasers add a couple of tons to the computer, and I was wondering if such a a weight-saving measure could be implemented.

Seventh and finally; What types of PPC are compatible with capacitors? I know that the standard and ER version are, and the light PPC appears to be compatible, but I have two sources saying two different things: One says that the capacitor is compatible with both the standard and ER version, but the Archangel Berith variant has capacitors on both heavy and light PPCs. Which is correct?
« Last Edit: 18 July 2013, 16:33:04 by Xotl »
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: (Researching) PPC Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2013, 14:02:38 »
In the future, please provide page references. 
Construction rules for the PPC capacitor are on Tactical Operations page 336, with the game rules on page 337.

1. No.  Each capacitor is linked to one specific PPC and vice versa.  (Note that capacitor-linked and non-capacitor-linked PPCs may be mixed freely on a given design.)  The construction rules are specific about this.

2. N/A

3. Not exactly.  You can only charge, discharge, or "hold" a given capacitor in a turn; any of those actions incurs 5 heat.  Firing the attached PPC incurs five heat above and beyond the heat load of the PPC itself.  Remember, capacitors have to be charged before they can be fired.

4. On vehicles and conventional fighters, yes; this is specifically addressed in the construction rules.  'Mechs and aerospace fighters track heat and can deal with the heat load the same way they would heat from movement, firing weapons, etc.

5. The construction rules specifically state that PPC capacitors are not counted for determining the size of a targeting computer.

6. No.  Targeting computers are an all-or-nothing proposition.  In the future, please separate questions like this out - it's not germane to the question of PPC capacitors.  Please see the rules question rules post stickied at the top of this board for more details on that.

7. All Inner Sphere PPCs that can be mounted on a BattleMech (light, standard, ER, snub-nosed, and heavy PPCs) are compatible with capacitors.  Clan ER PPCs and any other scale of PPC (support PPCs on battle armor, naval PPCs, etc.) are not compatible.  This is listed specifically by the construction rules.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
Re: (Answered) PPC Capacitors
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2013, 10:58:56 »
Cheers for the replies. I have just received my copy of Tactical Operations, which cleared up a lot of my questions.

I'll seperate multiple questions in later posts.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: (Answered) PPC Capacitors
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2013, 11:01:36 »
Thanks, that tends to make our life easier...

Enjoy TO, lots of fun stuff in there!
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register