Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Recon Camera and spotting for artillery  (Read 3510 times)

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
(Answered) Recon Camera and spotting for artillery
« on: 29 March 2012, 21:34:51 »
p. 338 in TO says the Recon Camera on the Boomerang can be used to spot for indirect LRM fire, but what about using it for artillery?
« Last Edit: 08 September 2014, 19:59:41 by Xotl »

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Recon Camera ...
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2012, 17:22:24 »
Yes, it can also spot for Artillery fire.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
Re: Recon Camera ... (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2012, 19:18:41 »
How do I calculate all the modifiers when using the Boomerang to spot for artillery?

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2012, 21:35:20 »
How do I calculate all the modifiers when using the Boomerang to spot for artillery?

What part of the rules are not clear to you? Please provide page numbers.
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2012, 15:00:18 »
Well, what I'm really getting at is that I've heard there's some benefit (i.e. a beneficial modifier to the to-hit roll for artillery fire) when using a unit with a recon camera equiped unit to spot for indirect artilery; I just don't see that in TO on pp. 181-182 under "Artillery Spotters" or pp. 337-338 under "Recon Camera".

Does that mean there IS no benefit for using a recon camera above any other spotter of equal skill?

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2012, 15:20:30 »
Well, what I'm really getting at is that I've heard there's some benefit (i.e. a beneficial modifier to the to-hit roll for artillery fire) when using a unit with a recon camera equiped unit to spot for indirect artilery; I just don't see that in TO on pp. 181-182 under "Artillery Spotters" or pp. 337-338 under "Recon Camera".

Does that mean there IS no benefit for using a recon camera above any other spotter of equal skill?

That is correct- The advantages of the Recon Camera are offset by being on a moving plane and many kilometers from the battlefield (straight up).
-Joel BC-

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2012, 16:18:05 »
That is correct- The advantages of the Recon Camera are offset by being on a moving plane and many kilometers from the battlefield (straight up).
And if you mount it on a ground unit, it's no better than TAG, right?
So, I'd say the safety of flying at Altitude 10 is a fair trade to have a spotter with unlimited LOS!

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2012, 21:58:55 »
And if you mount it on a ground unit, it's no better than TAG, right?
So, I'd say the safety of flying at Altitude 10 is a fair trade to have a spotter with unlimited LOS!

Correct
-Joel BC-