Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Area Effect Weapons vs Grounded Dropships  (Read 3405 times)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
This thread has sparked some related questions from me.  There seem to be no applicable page references for this.

1: Does this mean that grounded Dropships are immune from damage of the secondary rings of AE weapons?  To clarify a bit if a cluster bomb dropped by an Aerofighter falls short of hitting the grounded Dropship but due to having a R1 AE still "splashes" onto the Dropship, will it do damage?

2: If this "splash" damage is applied is it only applied once only or once for each effected hex?  Using the previous example the cluster bomb effects two hexes of the grounded Dropship.  Is 5 points applied once or are 2 clusters of 5 applied?

3: Does AE damage always get abstracted to the nose location or can the shot hit a side arc?  Example: A Long Tom fires a shot at a non-designated hex near the grounded Dropship.  Using the scatter rules it scatters into the Dropship at level +3 above the underlying terrain.  Does the shot still resolve against the nose or would it instead impact a side armor location?  If it impacts at the underlying terrain instead would it then resolve against side arc or rear arc?
« Last Edit: 22 April 2015, 00:05:12 by Xotl »

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: (Research) Area Effect Weapons vs Grounded Dropships
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2014, 09:13:35 »
Bump.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2014, 12:09:23 »
Going to go ahead and bump this a couple days early just so *I* don't forget.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2014, 18:37:36 »
And a topic of discussion has brought forward a related question.  Depends on the answer to 1 and 2 but what happens if an AE attack splashes onto a grounded Dropship in such a way that the main impact hex misses the Dropship but having different AE damage ratings?

Clarifying example:

A Cruise Missile 120 lands in a hex near a grounded Dropship.  The AE ring has one hex overlaying the Dropship at Radius 3 and three at Radius 4.  Would 9 clusters of 5(Radius 3 applies 45 damage) be applied or 12 clusters of 5(3 hexes of 20 damage for Radius 4?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2014, 13:05:03 »
1. The splash will hit only if the center hex didn't hit.

2. Once.

3. No, it's always abstracted.

And a topic of discussion has brought forward a related question.  Depends on the answer to 1 and 2 but what happens if an AE attack splashes onto a grounded Dropship in such a way that the main impact hex misses the Dropship but having different AE damage ratings?

Clarifying example:

A Cruise Missile 120 lands in a hex near a grounded Dropship.  The AE ring has one hex overlaying the Dropship at Radius 3 and three at Radius 4.  Would 9 clusters of 5(Radius 3 applies 45 damage) be applied or 12 clusters of 5(3 hexes of 20 damage for Radius 4?

The DropShip would take the damage of the Radius 3 hex only.  In more than one Radius # hexes overlapped the DropShip, only one would take the damage, determined randomly.

Long story short: No matter how many hexes could be hit by a single AE attack, multi-hex units always only take damage from one hex and only that hex's damage.  The hex chosen is always whichever is most damaging.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: (Answered) Area Effect Weapons vs Grounded Dropships
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2014, 13:44:28 »
Kind of figured but doesn't hurt to clarify things.

But I do have four last clarification questions just so everything I can think of is cleared up.

Artillery Cannons(the shortened Artillery pieces) are still area effect weapons even if fired as direct ballistic attacks.  Do these attacks still abstract against the Nose location if fired indirectly?  How about fired directly?

Likewise if using the direct fire rules for full sized artillery and such a shot was available to said artillery unit would this attack still always abstract to the Nose or like other direct attacks hit the facing side?

In either case would scatter due to missed shots change the abstracted location for where to apply the damage(aside from the obvious exception)?

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2014, 16:53:12 »
A bit of a pain I know but they really are the last things I can think of that are not entirely clear.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2014, 19:23:17 »
Sorry, where did you get the impression that AE always hit the nose?

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2014, 19:59:21 »
3: Does AE damage always get abstracted to the nose location or can the shot hit a side arc?  Example: A Long Tom fires a shot at a non-designated hex near the grounded Dropship.  Using the scatter rules it scatters into the Dropship at level +3 above the underlying terrain.  Does the shot still resolve against the nose or would it instead impact a side armor location?  If it impacts at the underlying terrain instead would it then resolve against side arc or rear arc?

3. No, it's always abstracted.

In other words this thread.  :P

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2014, 22:03:55 »
I know the rules say a month but I'm liable to forget myself if I don't do it now while I'm thinking about it, especially since the thread says Answered instead of Research.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2014, 23:25:36 »
At least I waited a month this time.  :D

More seriously though in trying to thought experiment my own answers for how I'd handle this if it came up in a game until an official answer is given I completely understand that this is a more complex issue then it seems on the surface.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2015, 19:26:50 »
That time again already.  Wow time flies.  Again my understanding and my appreciation for the time you guys are taking on this to sort out an answer.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2015, 21:59:46 »
Appreciate your patience here, monbvol.  Unfortunately the entire answers process is backlogged at the moment, so I'm afraid I can't give you an ETA as to when this will be handled.  But it absolutely will not be dropped.  Thanks.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2015, 13:39:05 »
No problem.  Finding an answer that works for both spheroid and aerodyne dropships without creating a headache of determining artillery flight paths is something that I understand could take a while longer yet.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2015, 06:52:13 »
Yup.  That time again.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2015, 23:26:40 »
Better late than never eh?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2015, 21:22:51 »
Spheroid DroShips take damage on the side the AE comes in on.  In the case of artillery, roll damage on the left or right side, whichever is facing the firing unit.  In the case of bombs, again use the left or right side, whichever is facing the direction of the aero's approach.  Only cluster artillery or direct hits from orbital strikes roll on the nose chart.  Aerodyne ships determine hit chart in the same way grounded fighters do.

In all cases, a given AE shot will only damage one hex.  If a given shot would affect multiple hexes of DropShip, only apply damage to the hex struck by the most damage.  If all the hexes are equal, the DropShip's controller chooses the affected hex.

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2015, 23:40:23 »
Works for me.

Thanks.

Register