Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Low-Gravity and Over Speed Damage with Actuator Criticals  (Read 2889 times)

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
During our last game a question came up. We are fighting on a .5 Terra standard Gravity moon. It is also -50C and vacuum just so you have all the details.

The situation: A 5/8/0 Mech (10/15/0 because of .5G) breaches a leg during the game's opening salvo. The Hip overrides all the other actuators for movement reduction so the 'Mechs speed is now 3/5/0 (6/9/0 from the .5G).

The Question: Do we PSR for over speed damage at the 'Mechs original 8MP Runnign Speed or the new lower 5MP Running speed?

Table reaction. Players are mixed on the opinion with a slight lean towards checking with the normal 8MP (but now with all the Leg Actuator damage piloting modifiers). We are playing with AToW rules and the pilot Edged the breach roll and we played on. We are sure the problem will come up when we continue the adventure.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 02:04:45 by Xotl »

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
I believe almost universally Battletech works on whatever the 'current' set of circumstances are. Can you describe a little more why you feel it should still be at the 8MP level?

What page in TO are you referencing?
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
I believe almost universally Battletech works on whatever the 'current' set of circumstances are. Can you describe a little more why you feel it should still be at the 8MP level?

What page in TO are you referencing?

Pg 55 TO under High/Low Gravity

Our thinking for keeping the PSR for damage check at the 8 Running MPs was the leg is designed to carry the 'Mechs weight Running at full speed. Even with the 'Mech dragging one leg behind it the functional leg is still taking less dynamic load moving at 50kph then it would with 2 good legs moving at 80kph. And the High/Low Gravity damage feels like it is coming from exceeding design stress limits more then just going "too fast"

The people thinking the check should be at the new lowered Running MPs is basically what you said, "Battletech usually works on whatever the 'current' set of circumstances are."
« Last Edit: 06 June 2011, 17:14:22 by Cannon_Fodder »

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
Anything yet? Next session this Sunday 6/12 where we continue this scenario.

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Make all rolls based on the 'current' MP.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
And your reasoning? since you asked for ours.