Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Level 0 Structure - Subsurface of Semi-Subsurface  (Read 1037 times)

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
I'm hoping to create a structure who's highest point is level 0- just high enough for roof- and turret-mounted weapons to fire (intended to be a dug-in missile silo). This falls into something of a gray area in the surbsurface/semi-subsurface rules presented in TO:AR pp. 138.

Is the structure a subsurface or semi-subsurface (or even just a regular structure) structure given the following two scenarios:
A: The structure's highest level is level 0 (or is equal to the level of the surrounding terrain), but may have ammo storage, quarters, or other facilities extending to deeper subterranean levels.
B: The structure's highest level is level 0 (ditto above), but does not extend deeper below level 0 (ditto) at any point.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2022, 12:44:21 by Xotl »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Level 0 Structure - Subsurface of Semi-Subsurface
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2022, 12:44:16 »
There's no such rules structure I'm afraid: Level 0 buildings don't exist; the Battletech universe is designed by a god of gaming and conveniently raises all buildings shorter than 6m to 6m.  This would fall firmly into the land of house rules.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
Re: (Research) Level 0 Structure - Subsurface of Semi-Subsurface
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2022, 15:30:39 »
There's no such rules structure I'm afraid: Level 0 buildings don't exist; the Battletech universe is designed by a god of gaming and conveniently raises all buildings shorter than 6m to 6m.  This would fall firmly into the land of house rules.
This is a building 6m high, but recessed 6m down, thus its roof extends to level 0 but with the rest of the structure beneath the surface. Its roof is visible to the open air, supposedly precluding it from being a subsurface building, but the subsurface portion doesn't have an "above-surface" building at least 2 levels high for it to serve as a basement, precluding it from being a semi-subsurface building, as the rules are currently written.

I apologize if it wasn't clear, this isn't a pancake-thin building resting atop the surface, this is an underground building which is visible from, but does not extend upwards above the surface.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
Re: (Answered) Level 0 Structure - Subsurface of Semi-Subsurface
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2022, 16:25:26 »
there is no such thing as a level 0 building. it's either level -1 or level 1.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2022, 17:29:30 »
there is no such thing as a level 0 building. it's either level -1 or level 1.
Alright then. Please let me rephrase my original question to put aside any semantic issues and restate the original inquiry.

Is the structure a subsurface or semi-subsurface (or even just a regular structure) structure given the following two scenarios:
A: The structure's highest level is level 0 (with the roof visible to aboveground units, but not extending above the surrounding terrain), but may have ammo storage, quarters, or other facilities extending to deeper subterranean levels that cannot be seen or interacted with by aboveground units.
B: The structure's highest level is level 0 (ditto above), but does not contain any levels or hexes that cannot be seen or interacted with by aboveground units.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2022, 19:54:59 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2022, 19:31:24 »
Of course in some rational world a building could go right to the surface and do all the other things you describe.  But strictly in terms of the game, which is what you're asking about, what you want does not exist and is specifically ruled out.  TO:AR p. 138: "For a building to be considered subsurface, its highest elevation must be at least one level below the surface of the ground" and "Underground subsurface buildings may not employ rooftop equipment or turrets."

You start with the rules assumption "the (subsurface) structure's highest level is level 0" and we have to stop you right there because you've already broken the rules.  It's unlikely anyone would ever complain if you made such, but RAW it can't be done and it's unlikely we'll be errataing TO to change that any time soon.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2022, 19:35:41 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2022, 19:56:28 »
Of course in some rational world a building could go right to the surface and do all the other things you describe.  But strictly in terms of the game, which is what you're asking about, what you want does not exist and is specifically ruled out.  TO:AR p. 138: "For a building to be considered subsurface, its highest elevation must be at least one level below the surface of the ground" and "Underground subsurface buildings may not employ rooftop equipment or turrets."

You start with the rules assumption "the (subsurface) structure's highest level is level 0" and we have to stop you right there because you've already broken the rules.  It's unlikely anyone would ever complain if you made such, but RAW it can't be done and it's unlikely we'll be errataing TO to change that any time soon.
Darn. That's what I was afraid the answer was going to be.
Would you be opposed to my putting together an errata submission over in the errata subforum?
Poke's Aerospace Academy

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2022, 22:22:07 »
Darn. That's what I was afraid the answer was going to be.
Would you be opposed to my putting together an errata submission over in the errata subforum?

There is no errata here.  Yes, we would object.  We are not soliciting new rules.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register