Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Advanced Determining Critical Hits and AP Ammo  (Read 1389 times)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Regarding Armor-Piercing Ammo and TacOps "Advanced Determining Critical Hits" (TO pp. 74-75): How do these two rule sets interact? Does 'Determining Critical Hits' stack with AP ammo for Auto Cannons? It feels like the AC/20 gets a tremendous boost, while the AC/2 becomes absolutely useless.

AC/20
TACTICAL  OPS: AC/20 needs a 6+ (Needs 9+ with -4 bonus from the 'Determining...' rule and +1 penalty from the AP ammo)
TOTAL WARFARE: AC/20 needs a 9+ (Needs 8+ with +1 penalty).

AC/2
TACTICAL  OPS: AC/2 needs a 13 (Needs 9+ with +0 bonus from the 'Determining...' rule and +4 penalty from the AP ammo)
TOTAL WARFARE: AC/2 needs a 12 (Needs 8+ with +4 penalty).
« Last Edit: 17 June 2015, 10:00:22 by Xotl »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Advanced Determining Critical Hits and AP Ammo
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2015, 10:00:10 »
You're conflating two different sets of rules.  The Advanced Determining Critical Hits rules in TacOps apply to normal critical hit rolls which are made when the internal structure of a unit takes damage.  Armour-piercing autocannon ammunition causes a separate, unique opportunity for a critical hit against a still-armoured location.  The modifier to that special critical hit roll is not applied to attacks that deal damage to the target's IS or normal hit-location table through-armour criticals, regardless of whether or not the standard Total Warfare or advanced TacOps critical hit rules are in use.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Re: (Research) Advanced Determining Critical Hits and AP Ammo
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2015, 10:21:25 »
You're conflating two different sets of rules.  The Advanced Determining Critical Hits rules in TacOps apply to normal critical hit rolls which are made when the internal structure of a unit takes damage.  Armour-piercing autocannon ammunition causes a separate, unique opportunity for a critical hit against a still-armoured location.  The modifier to that special critical hit roll is not applied to attacks that deal damage to the target's IS or normal hit-location table through-armour criticals, regardless of whether or not the standard Total Warfare or advanced TacOps critical hit rules are in use.

Awesome!! That's exactly what I needed. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops