Register Register

Author Topic: (Research) Specialized and Mechanized Transport Weights.  (Read 1162 times)

RifleMech

• Major
(Research) Specialized and Mechanized Transport Weights.
« on: 30 November 2022, 00:39:34 »
TM pg 155
TO pg 136, 152 + 153, 225
TRO:3085 pg 194 - 221
TRO:3085 pg 6-9

This thread got me questioning the weights. I thought I knew but now I'm not so sure. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/ground-combat/mechanized-infantry-weights/?topicseen

TO page 152
The Added Tons value establishes additional weight over and above the infantry unit’s Motive Type (see p. 155, TM). For Combat Engineers and Marines, the base pertrooper weight varies with the Motive Type chosen (0.1 ton for Foot, 0.21 for Motorized, 0.18 for Jump, 1 for Hover/Tracked/Wheeled Mechanized, 1.5 for Microlite VTOL and 2 for Microcopter VTOL), while other specializations presume a base weight of 0.1 ton per trooper. For all applied specializations, the value in this column must be added to this weight to find the total per-trooper weight for unit transport purposes. For example, a Motorized Marine Combat Engineer has a per-trooper weight of 0.21 (Motorized) + 0 (Marine) + 0.1 (Combat Engineer) tons, or 0.31 tons for each trooper.

The questions seem to come from this paragraph here (TOpg 252) and the tables on page 225 were it states the weight for Microlight and Micro-Copters are +1.4 and +1.9 respectively.

That paragraph lists specific base weights for Combat Engineers and Marines by infantry type. It then says other Specialized Infantry base weight at .1 per trooper.

So first question. Are these the correct weights?
(0.1 ton for Foot, 0.21 for Motorized, 0.18 for Jump, 1 for Hover/Tracked/Wheeled Mechanized, 1.5 for Microlite VTOL and 2 for Microcopter VTOL), while other specializations presume a base weight of 0.1 ton per trooper.

I ask because the current weights listed in TM for Infantry are Foot 0.085 ton, Motorized 0.195 ton, and Jump 0.165 ton. The base weights listed in the TO paragraph match older editions of TM. To me, it looks like those weights need an errata to match the currant listed weights in TM.

The other question is, do these weights only apply to Combat Engineers and Marines or does it apply to other infantry types? The .1 for other Specialized Infantry seem to indicate using the Foot Infantry Base Weight when calculating the squad/platoon weight but Paramedics and TAG Infantry's base weight also depends on the platoon type, the same as Combat Engineers and Marines. The table on TO page 153 says
†As platoon type chosen.
when referring to Paramedics and TAG Infantry. That would indicate that the .1 base weight shouldn't apply to them.

The other issue is Mechanized VTOL Infantry TO Page 136
The term “mechanized” as it is applied to these infantry is technically a misnomer.

With their listed weight in the tables as +1.4 and +1.9, I took that to mean I add the listed weight for Motorized Infantry in TM pg 155 and add it to the additional weight for the trooper type in TO then multiply by number of troopers for the platoons.

Microlight Platoon
Motorized Infantry 0.195 +1.4 x 8 = 12.76 tons rounded to 13.

Micro-Copter Platoon
Motorized Infantry 0.195 +1.9 x 16 = 13.52 tons rounded to 34.

Since the VTOL Infantry weight in TRO:3085 is 34 tons I took that to be the correct way to do it. Now I'm told that the weight for the platoon is 32 tons and that each trooper weighs 2 tons each. 1.5 for Microlight troopers. If that's correct, where's the +1.4 and +1.9 come in?  ???

I thought I had weight for infantry figured out but now I'm confused. How much does a 16 trooper VTOL Micro-Copter Platoon weight?

If I may make a couple suggestions, rewrite the TO page 152 paragraph, to include the updated TM infantry base weights and fix the VTOL Infantry weights and remove emphasis on specific infantry types. Something like:

The Tons (per trooper) value establishes any additional weight over and above the infantry unit’s Motive Type (see p. 155, TM). Unless listed, the base per trooper weight varies with the Motive Type chosen (0.085 ton for Foot, 0.195 for Motorized, 0.165 for Jump, 1 for Hover/Tracked/Wheeled Mechanized, 1.5 for Microlite VTOL and 2 for Microcopter VTOL). For example, a Motorized Marine Combat Engineer has a per-trooper weight of 0.195 (Motorized) + 0 (Marine) + 0.1 (Combat Engineer) tons, or 0.295 tons for each trooper.

Then in the tables TO page 153 under 
Added Tons
(per Trooper)
remove Added, so it simply reads Tons per Trooper. Then change the rest of the column to read;

Combat Engineers     +.1
Marines                    +0
Mountain Troops        +0
Paratroops                +0.05
TAG Troops               †
Paramedics               †
SCUBA (Standard)     0.135
SCUBA (Motorized)    0.295
SCUBA (Mechanized) 1

On the Infantry Construction Data Table page to replace the listed weights with the updated weights. Not just for Specialized Infantry but Mechanized VTOL Infantry also.
Microlight   1.5/trooper (this would be the base weight per trooper)
Micro-Copters 2/trooper (this would be the base weight per trooper)
and please add
SCUBA (Mechanized) 1/trooper (It's not listed in the table in my TO PDF and I don't see an errata for it.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2022, 20:32:25 by Hammer »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
Re: Specialized and Mechanized Transport Weights.
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2022, 20:30:36 »
We’ve got two separate issues here

1) questions about specialized infantry
2) should TO be errata’d to match TW?

The latter needs to go in the errata discussion thread. You are welcome to bring that issue up there (we like everything in the proper buckets in case years from now we need to revisit). Once that is sorted out, we can address the transport weights

Obviously this is a complicated issue with a lot of moving parts so let’s tackle it one ingestable piece at a time  :)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RifleMech

• Major
Re: (Research) Specialized and Mechanized Transport Weights.
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2022, 21:42:26 »
We’ve got two separate issues here

1) questions about specialized infantry
2) should TO be errata’d to match TW?

The latter needs to go in the errata discussion thread. You are welcome to bring that issue up there (we like everything in the proper buckets in case years from now we need to revisit). Once that is sorted out, we can address the transport weights

Obviously this is a complicated issue with a lot of moving parts so let’s tackle it one ingestable piece at a time  :)

Sounds good. I'll ask if TO weights should be changed to match TM weights in TO's errata.  :thumbsup:

Register