Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Availability clarification  (Read 1410 times)

Amlop

• Corporal
(Answered) Availability clarification
« on: 07 November 2014, 07:35:56 »
I'm a bit unsure about this...

Taking ATM3 as an example (pg.291) the availability is X-X-D, and introduction is NA/3054.

The availability says to me "D for IS in CI era", but the introduction says "IS has never used this".  Which is correct?

The paragraph beginning "Third, if the item is..." on page 286 says to me "C for clans in CI era", but the paragraph beginning "Fifth, any items..." on page 287 says "D for clans in CI era (no matter what the availability code is listed as)".  Which is correct?

If IS CI era availability is X, and Clan CI era availability is D, then why is D listed in the code?  Or to ask another way, what is the point of the D in the code, it has no effect on anything (if you changed it to A for example, IS would still be X, and Clan would still be D)?

Relatively speaking, it's quite a complicated algorithm to calculate correct availabilities.  I think it'd be far simpler to list separate IS and Clan availability codes, and have introduction and extinction dates simply apply a higher fidelity to the years, and never actually affect the code.

E.g.  D-C-C/X-C-B    2500/--    
       would mean:  <2500: X/X   2500-2800: D/X   2801-3050: C/C   >3050: C/B

WYSIWYG, and (almost) no explanation required.  Plus you could delete (at least) the "Clan Ratings" section that starts on page 286 and finishes on page 287.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2015, 23:38:32 by Xotl »

Amlop

• Corporal
Re: Availability clarification
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2014, 01:15:42 »
Hi guys, still genuinely wondering what the availability of this ATM3 (for example) is, for both IS and Clans...

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Availability clarification
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2015, 23:38:22 »
Availability is from an IS perspective.  For the Clans, the ATM 3 would have an availability of X-X-C.  The IS doesn't make them, but that doesn't mean they can't find one.

The entry on p. 287 is consistent with this (it says items that otherwise do not exist, when introduced, have an availability of D.  That's what the ATM has.)
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register