Register Register

Author Topic: 30LY Hex map  (Read 668 times)

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
30LY Hex map
« on: 05 May 2022, 06:26:58 »

There an idea that I want to try out but for it I need a hex map of the Inner Sphere, in where each hex is equal to 30 LY, with Terra in the center.

Does such a map already exist? Official or fan?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society
Nebula Confederation Ships

cmerwin

• Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
Re: 30LY Hex map
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2022, 07:55:34 »
There an idea that I want to try out but for it I need a hex map of the Inner Sphere, in where each hex is equal to 30 LY, with Terra in the center.

Does such a map already exist? Official or fan?

I'm not familiar with a hexed version, but there are maps out there that have the jump routes, if that's what you are thinking. There's the pretty awesome interactive map: https://battletech.rpg.hu/dynmech/planets/ismap_standalone.php

It very helpfully gives LY distances and can plot jump routes.

There's also this interactive map: https://www.gruese.de/innersphere/

While not hexed per se, if you zoom down to the planetary level, it will put a 30 LY ring around the planet when you click on it, allowing you to see what the neighbors are.

"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Maingunnery

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2022, 08:17:56 »

Thanks for those tools, but I wish to use a hexed map for real life (analog) board gaming, so sadly I have no use for interactive maps.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2022, 11:36:19 »
Thanks for those tools, but I wish to use a hexed map for real life (analog) board gaming, so sadly I have no use for interactive maps.

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, would be nice. I think the only problem would be that a real life IS map, not including Clan space, would be huge. Still, might be something worth requesting during the Fall kickstarter.

Fortyone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2022, 20:19:22 »
If you have a high resolution image of the map you want to use and a little bit of graphic design skill, it wouldn't be that hard to put a hex overlay on the map. Then you could take the file to your local copy and print center and get it printed as big as a poster. The only semi-tricky part would be resizing the map and hex grid to be exactly what you want.

When I worked at an office supply store, we had some guys who would print maps for dungeons and dragons that way.

epic 2.0

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2022, 15:08:51 »
check out the btech catalyst website, has different eras
https://bg.battletech.com/download/BattleTech%20Inner%20Spher%20at%20War%203025.pdf
 for the 3025 hex map, for instance.  it's CLOSE to the 30 Ly scale I think that you want.  There are also fan creations with the jump lines. 

Maingunnery

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2022, 15:13:45 »
https://bg.battletech.com/download/BattleTech%20Inner%20Spher%20at%20War%203025.pdf
 for the 3025 hex map, for instance.  it's CLOSE to the 30 Ly scale I think that you want.  There are also fan creations with the jump lines.
Actually that is near perfect, thank you!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2022, 20:17:28 »

I'm not familiar with a hexed version, but there are maps out there that have the jump routes, if that's what you are thinking. There's the pretty awesome interactive map: https://battletech.rpg.hu/dynmech/planets/ismap_standalone.php

It very helpfully gives LY distances and can plot jump routes.

There's also this interactive map: https://www.gruese.de/innersphere/

While not hexed per se, if you zoom down to the planetary level, it will put a 30 LY ring around the planet when you click on it, allowing you to see what the neighbors are.
I regularly use the greuse.de site, but the other one just spins forever without loading...  :-\

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2022, 23:30:14 »
So I'm not the only one to have that problem... :-\
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2022, 18:53:12 »
So I'm not the only one to have that problem... :-\
Yeah, I'd say that more often than not I get the spinny "Generating Map" symbol. I have yet to figure out why it works sometimes and why it doesn't.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2022, 18:58:17 »
Sounds like a server side problem, then...  :-\

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2022, 09:41:52 »
Now, here is a topic, I kinda like, and after seeing the map that came with TAMAR RISING, I was thinking....oooo...I like that, I could something similar for my Home Campaign area which is set in and around Detroit system. And being the OCD kinda guy I am, used mapping software to start with, and had already set the scale for 10 LY grids. Not that hard to put a Hex over it.

problem is, I can tell you exactly how much works ACTUALLY goes into making something like this.

I know my OCD plan is to expand this area out past what I have done, and eventually one day include all of the Inner Sphere and maybe the Clan Worlds...but you know...ADHD ;)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2022, 09:45:06 »

Hmmm...I can probably insert this into my mapping software and go from there to save a lot of work, but still...need the jump lines, STELLAR CLASS of the stars, Recharge times, etc, etc :P

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2022, 21:48:23 »

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2022, 10:45:50 »
So, following up on this, there are links on Sarna to the Inner Sphere at War, which have hex maps of 2786, 2830, and 3025, from the First Succession War sourcebook and the Second Succession War sourcebook.

You can find the three hex maps here: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere_at_War (Thanks Sarna!).

CGL posted a couple of pictures this last week on Instagram, including a poster star chart with jump routes and distances on it. I have no idea where it came from (and I WANT one!), but it seems similar to what the OP was asking after: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdZsxpXr16I/

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2022, 10:50:59 »
CGL posted a couple of pictures this last week on Instagram, including a poster star chart with jump routes and distances on it. I have no idea where it came from (and I WANT one!), but it seems similar to what the OP was asking after: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdZsxpXr16I/

It's bundled in with Tamar Rising, and covers the region formerly known as the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2022, 10:53:15 »
It's bundled in with Tamar Rising, and covers the region formerly known as the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone

I don't normally play that era, but may have to get that sourcebook just for the map!

Thanks for letting me know!

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2022, 10:56:33 »
Now, here is a topic, I kinda like, and after seeing the map that came with TAMAR RISING, I was thinking....oooo...I like that, I could something similar for my Home Campaign area which is set in and around Detroit system. And being the OCD kinda guy I am, used mapping software to start with, and had already set the scale for 10 LY grids. Not that hard to put a Hex over it.

problem is, I can tell you exactly how much works ACTUALLY goes into making something like this.

I know my OCD plan is to expand this area out past what I have done, and eventually one day include all of the Inner Sphere and maybe the Clan Worlds...but you know...ADHD ;)

OMG, this is fantastic! I would love to see one of the Clan worlds! What you have already done modifying the Tamar Rising map is amazing work! Well done.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2022, 10:57:42 »
And was the inspiration for my home Campaign's Periphery map.

complete? No, I know there are jump routes missing, but it is a start that will grow as time goes on.

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2022, 11:10:00 »
And was the inspiration for my home Campaign's Periphery map.

complete? No, I know there are jump routes missing, but it is a start that will grow as time goes on.

What I like about your and the Tamar Rising map is that gridding for 30 LY doesn't actually make a lot of campaign sense, what makes more sense, like CGL and you have done, is giving routes with distances. And unless I am mistaken, a K-F drive doesn't care if you jump 18.8 ly or 29.7 ly, as far as the drive is concerned, that's one jump. So measuring relative distances makes more sense than measuring 30 ly hexes.

Maingunnery

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2022, 11:30:00 »

What I like about your and the Tamar Rising map is that gridding for 30 LY doesn't actually make a lot of campaign sense, what makes more sense, like CGL and you have done, is giving routes with distances. And unless I am mistaken, a K-F drive doesn't care if you jump 18.8 ly or 29.7 ly, as far as the drive is concerned, that's one jump. So measuring relative distances makes more sense than measuring 30 ly hexes.
That depends upon the level of abstraction one wants to work with.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2022, 12:07:13 »

Yep, makes for a very 'busy' map, but for me the nicest part of the software I use (CAD based), as I can make the unit distance a part of the map, so I can double check distances

cmerwin

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2022, 17:24:59 »
Yep, makes for a very 'busy' map, but for me the nicest part of the software I use (CAD based), as I can make the unit distance a part of the map, so I can double check distances

Yeah, which is both very cool from a gaming standpoint - because you are able to give precise travel distances rather than hexes - and the maps are detailed enough to give jump drive recharge times (which I am assuming is just based on the relative size of the star there and not the presence of any stations or recharge facilities).

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2022, 18:20:59 »

Yeah, which is both very cool from a gaming standpoint - because you are able to give precise travel distances rather than hexes - and the maps are detailed enough to give jump drive recharge times (which I am assuming is just based on the relative size of the star there and not the presence of any stations or recharge facilities).

i think its the star type

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2022, 13:24:15 »

Register