Register Register

Author Topic: 3D terrain with hexes - aesthetics vs. rules compatibility  (Read 873 times)

Ishor

• Recruit
As a Battletech newbie I've been thinking about modelling some 3D terrain to be used, most likely, with a 1.75" hex mat. Looking at all the models already available for printing, as well as pictures people have taken of their setups, got me thinking:
How many compromises with rules do people generally have to make when using 3D terrain with hexes? Especially regarding rules for interacting with buildings? Plenty of buildings don't seem like a model could actually be balanced on each hex it's occupying, if a model were to land on it during gameplay. Also shouldn't each hex of a building be destructible? Are these rules simply not used, or are things like model positions and damage states tracked separately in these cases?

Would terrain pieces with, for example removable top details and enough footprint per hex to actually fit a 30mm hex base, be considered "superior" compared to normal ones? Buildings and walls that can be replaced with destroyed ones per hex rather than removing the whole thing? Naturally going that far would lead to major compromises in aesthetics, but would you rather have the added functionality? Is there already something like this available and I just haven't come across it?

NeonKnight

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
Re: 3D terrain with hexes - aesthetics vs. rules compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2020, 11:55:40 »
I use a lot of 3d buildings. Rules wise, we go with defining the hex as IS/IS NOT. In other words, I mount all my buildings on hexes, and all of those hexes are deemed to be building. When we do go with buildings able to be destroyed, we follow the rules as laid out in TOTAL WARFARE, page 176. In a nut shell, this rule is each hex of a building tracks damage seperately, and each hex can be collapsed seperately from the building. However, if 50% of a building's total hexes is destroyed, then the whole building collapses.

In other words, a 2 Hex building collpases if only one hex is destroyed, a 3 hex Building needs 2 hexes completely destroyed to collapse.

In cases like this, we track each hex on a scap of paper.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2020, 10:35:15 »
Yes, and another important aspect of 3D terrain use is to clearly define what is level 1, 2, etc be it building or hill before game play happens.  Lasers help determine what is LOS, and b/c this is hex rules rather than hexless its easy to determine if LOS is blocked- is half the hex occupied by the building?  If yes, then its blocked.

Our Agent, faithless, also uses different colors and sizes to visually separate light from heavy woods- light woods is smaller and a lighter green while heavy woods are taller and darker.

We also use the purple foam board, which comes in 1 inch heights to build the hills.  It really helps b/c visually most minis will disappear behind 2 inches of it stacked which matches the rules.

Our group uses 1.75 inches too, which does give you room for the base of a regular mini to be in the hex with any sort of terrain- trees go on the edges, and you can put at least some of the buildings.  For the top of buildings, keep the detail work on the edges or where the hex boundaries would be- so AC housings, etc would be used as the boundary for hexes on the roof.

If you scroll through this sub-forum you can get a idea of what people do with hexes & 3D terrain.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2020, 08:55:25 »
We've always just tried to make sure that all the players are informed about
anything terrain related ahead of time . If there's anything in question and an
agreement can't be made then we roll a die on the spot .
Any issues that come up are permanently fixed following the game -usually to
the terrain builder's initial intent .

Anyone that's tried to fit available buildings and other 3D effects onto a game board
should understand that things don't always perfectly work out .

We're using the 1.5 inch hexes because it increases the hexes per square foot
over 1.75 inch and 2 inch . Also because that's the size of the old Geo-Hex
Battlescape hexes that some of the older players still have
(and that went back into production).
The larger size hexes definitely have just enough more space per hex to make
it easier to have a terrain feature in the same hex as a hexbased mini .
1.5 inch requires a little more planning such as putting trees on one edge ETC .

NeonKnight

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2020, 09:46:10 »
That's sort of what I do. I make and play on 3d terrain of 1.75" hexes.

After arranging/setting up my table, I then Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3+ to then make a map of the table. The Added benefit of using CC3+, is it really helps out during play to track Line of Sight, as I use the software to snap lines to the centre of Hexes, and I can then zoom if needed to see if the Line clips a hex or not.

I mount the Trees on magnetic bases so they can then be removed to place a unit into the hex, the Trees are Dark for Heavy/Light for Light, and the base itself is colored Light/Dark as well.

For my Buildings,  as can be seen on the map and the table, I have also color coded the roof to allow for a quick visual queue as to it's level. This works especially well for those buildings that sort of straddle the edge of two levels. I just pick one, paint it that color, and forever more it will be that level.

The Color/Level relationship is:

Light Grey = Level 1
Dark Gray = Level 2
Light brown = Level 3
Dark Brown = Level 4
Blue = Level 6

Past that, I have yet to decide on a color scheme, but as I get larger buildings, I'm going to need to settle soon ;)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2020, 18:47:56 »
Awesome urban terrain !  8)

Some of our buildings are similar .

Wish I could show pics but I haven't had the time
to set up another image host and take new pics.

It's on my to-do list once the current situation
subsides .

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2020, 18:50:17 »
Beautiful setup indeed... the only thing bugging me are the roads that don't connect...

NeonKnight

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2020, 19:52:13 »
Beautiful setup indeed... the only thing bugging me are the roads that don't connect...

Actually, the roads that don't connect have end caps so visually the have an "end".

Rick88

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2020, 08:56:53 »
Amazing work

Xmarx.com

• Sergeant
  • the SPOT for Gamers!
    • Xmarx.com
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2020, 18:30:30 »