Register Register

Author Topic: Using the old battleship game as a damage tracker  (Read 870 times)

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
Using the old battleship game as a damage tracker
« on: 31 January 2021, 13:40:14 »
Remember this thing?

Yes, I'm old.
You could pop out the clear plastic to access the cardboard sheet with the water pattern printed on it.
Sooo, if you replaced that cardboard sheet with one that had a grid representing your mech layout and other details, you don't have to erase stuff or lean over the table to write stuff on paper.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2021, 13:41:55 by Sockmonkey »
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
Re: Using the old battleship game as a damage tracker
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2021, 13:47:42 »
Could work for lighter mechs. Or use different color pegs for different levels of damage.
It would be a cool HUD representation in rpg setting too.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2021, 19:21:56 »
Use the top for the armor diagram, use the bottom for Internal structure?  Red are worth 5 pts, white are worth 1?  Arms, side torsos, and head are counted from the top, legs and center torso from the bottom?

Rear locations for the torso armors will be interesting

I'd recommend adding a third color to allow for 20-pt amounts, otherwise you get a Mech with 50-pts of front armor taking up an entire column.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 17:50:06 »
Could work for lighter mechs. Or use different color pegs for different levels of damage.
It would be a cool HUD representation in rpg setting too.
Yeah, I'm not sure if they come in other colors but you could have some 3D printed.
Use the top for the armor diagram, use the bottom for Internal structure?  Red are worth 5 pts, white are worth 1?  Arms, side torsos, and head are counted from the top, legs and center torso from the bottom?

Rear locations for the torso armors will be interesting

I'd recommend adding a third color to allow for 20-pt amounts, otherwise you get a Mech with 50-pts of front armor taking up an entire column.
I think there was a version of the game with a 20x20 grid but I'm not sure.
If not, you could take a piece of clear plastic the right size and drill peg holes in it that are closer together so the 100-tonners will fit.

If you wanted to go really crazy, you could have pieces done up representing the engine, gyro, and other stuff the way the original game had the little ships.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 18:35:02 »
You could use LightBright pegs, or just a light bright board in general. That way you don’t have a upper and lower crowding. But you do lose out on the grid system.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2021, 04:14:40 »
Hmm, a sheet of clear plastic with the generic record sheet pasted to the back and holes drilled to line up with the little circles would do.

metalsword

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2021, 07:27:46 »
Hi guys, I just stumbled across this thread and wow that's a really creative idea!
I'd love to know, did you actually work on that project @sockmonkey? Did you made some progress? I'm really curious to see how that worked out.
Would you mind sharing some pictures with us if you have any?
sometimes you win sometimes you lose

Register