Register Register

Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire : Plus Ultra  (Read 78954 times)

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Running circles around the competition...
Re: The Scorpion Empire : Plus Ultra
« Reply #810 on: 19 November 2020, 00:57:48 »
It seemed past time for such a development, though the Ghost Bears surely took the first step in that direction.

Yes, the Ghost Bears are evolving nicely. 

I also can't wait to learn more about the Sea Foxes.  Their culture has been evolving in its own way, too. 

But that's all tangential, and I could go on and on.  We're gathered together on this thread to talk the Scorpions and their Empire. 

Now, I just hope they don't get run down by the Home Clans.  I figure if we use the Scorpions and their growth as displayed in HC as the meter stick, the four Homies ought to be fairly strong now, as well.  Especially since they don't have ten other Clans all starving for resources to contend with. 

It is BattleTech, after all.  No faction is going to be all growth and no setbacks. 

CJC070

• Sergeant
« Reply #811 on: 19 November 2020, 09:43:39 »
Yes, the Ghost Bears are evolving nicely. 

I also can't wait to learn more about the Sea Foxes.  Their culture has been evolving in its own way, too. 

But that's all tangential, and I could go on and on.  We're gathered together on this thread to talk the Scorpions and their Empire. 

Now, I just hope they don't get run down by the Home Clans.  I figure if we use the Scorpions and their growth as displayed in HC as the meter stick, the four Homies ought to be fairly strong now, as well.  Especially since they don't have ten other Clans all starving for resources to contend with. 

It is BattleTech, after all.  No faction is going to be all growth and no setbacks.

Agreed on seeing more on the Ghost Bears and the Sea Foxes. 
Personally I doubt the Home Clans are as strong.  Just after the Wars of Reaving they abandoned more than a few systems to keep their infrastructure up not to mention no one has heard of them for over 50 years.  No raids, no scout forces detected, and the Scorpions has a seeker cluster who keeps an eye out for any Clan sightings in the area.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Captain
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #812 on: 19 November 2020, 10:02:17 »
I meant the opening fiction, but I don't mind hearing about both.

To add to what Arc was saying above, the Scorpions get to be a nice dynamic culture, a composite culture in the same way that House Kurita is a composite culture.  What they have in common is they are truly unique to this setting.

I wouldn't call House Kurita a truly unique culture. They are basically WWII Japan in space with the more competitive traits of post-WWII Japan(technology) cherry-picked to augment them. Without their internal security apparatus and feudal brainwashing, Kurita will fall apart the moment its neighbours find the chance to invade from every direction.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Captain
« Reply #813 on: 19 November 2020, 10:09:37 »
Agreed on seeing more on the Ghost Bears and the Sea Foxes. 
Personally I doubt the Home Clans are as strong.  Just after the Wars of Reaving they abandoned more than a few systems to keep their infrastructure up not to mention no one has heard of them for over 50 years.  No raids, no scout forces detected, and the Scorpions has a seeker cluster who keeps an eye out for any Clan sightings in the area.

This. The Homies have tiny population bases and barely habitable worlds(and this is after the Wars of Reaving forced them to abandon the even more marginal worlds). No matter how large the Adder military is, it will not go far without a good support base.

On the other hand, the Scorpions have finally gotten a massive population and are actively working towards integrating all the different ethnicities. These ethnicities are also included in the Scorpion meritocracy which means a rapid improvement in every aspect of their society, economy, industry and eventually, the military.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Captain
« Reply #814 on: 19 November 2020, 10:18:38 »
It seemed past time for such a development, though the Ghost Bears surely took the first step in that direction.

This is true. I also appreciate the fact that you wrote positive things for a Periphery faction, and a Deep Periphery one at that. While the IS with its well-established culture and economy will view the Clans as oppressive savages, the Scorpions are really uplifting the primitive Deep Periphery factions they have absorbed in almost every aspect. Before the Scorpions, Nueva Castile was like pre-1492 Spain that only knew conflict. Now they get to flourish in peace.

If there is a plot twist, the Scorpions will be at their weakest right after the Hanseatic Crusade. Unfortunately, it would be the perfect time for the Homies or Blakists to strike :(

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #815 on: 19 November 2020, 11:01:39 »
They did hedge their bets, though, in that regard. They left their WarShips in Imperial space along with an intact Cluster from each Galaxy. And they began their consolidation of conquered worlds as they went. A couple Galaxies took hard hits, especially on Bremen, but Schmidt is alive and cooperating. I'd like to think that the Scorpions could focus the Hansa's hatred for the Clans not at the Scorpions themselves, but on the OTHER Clans, the ones who threw the Scorpions out. Cleverness could get the Hansa on their side fairly quickly by espousing anti-Homeworld Clan policies. Finding a common enemy, if you will. To my thinking, the real challenge will be keeping the Castilians and Umayyads from sparking secondary conflicts against the hated Hansa.

Stormy

• Corporal
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #816 on: 19 November 2020, 22:11:55 »
To confirm, the earlier RATs are all integrated into the MUL, right? I’m just working with the Hanseatix Crusade RAT. (A fine document)

CJC070

• Sergeant
« Reply #817 on: 19 November 2020, 22:29:33 »
They did hedge their bets, though, in that regard. They left their WarShips in Imperial space along with an intact Cluster from each Galaxy. And they began their consolidation of conquered worlds as they went. A couple Galaxies took hard hits, especially on Bremen, but Schmidt is alive and cooperating. I'd like to think that the Scorpions could focus the Hansa's hatred for the Clans not at the Scorpions themselves, but on the OTHER Clans, the ones who threw the Scorpions out. Cleverness could get the Hansa on their side fairly quickly by espousing anti-Homeworld Clan policies. Finding a common enemy, if you will. To my thinking, the real challenge will be keeping the Castilians and Umayyads from sparking secondary conflicts against the hated Hansa.

Depending what direction the writers want to go I would use the leaders who blew themselves up as the enemy and everyone else as much of the victims of their plots as their neighbours.

If you want an internal conflict (for story purposes) there were a few incidences during the war that can create conflict or right out revolt.  Like the story of the iClan it is out of our hands all we can do is speculate and hope for new product.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Captain
« Reply #818 on: 20 November 2020, 11:18:58 »

Yeah. Kinda like John Wick with Morpheus at the end of Part III. Finding a common enemy. Schmidt would make a fine Galaxy Commander(or higher).

Depending what direction the writers want to go I would use the leaders who blew themselves up as the enemy and everyone else as much of the victims of their plots as their neighbours.

If you want an internal conflict (for story purposes) there were a few incidences during the war that can create conflict or right out revolt.  Like the story of the iClan it is out of our hands all we can do is speculate and hope for new product.

Right you are. The Council blowing the capital up was really unwise. The Scorpions will garner goodwill just by carrying out disaster relief.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #819 on: 20 November 2020, 11:43:04 »
It's a pretty simple thing to use that to stoke rebellion. Those who don't like the Scorpions will simply blame them for the capital's destruction. (That's what I had in mind, anyway.)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Captain
« Reply #820 on: 21 November 2020, 06:57:19 »
Looks like the Imperial Watch will have another busy time for years to come since eliminating the Homeworld Watch agents and pacifying the Castilians.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #821 on: 21 November 2020, 21:18:53 »
Hey!  :thumbsup: I am one of the two Bilingual/Spanish speakers that I've seen bring this up. The correct Grammar was in the old name of this thread: "Imperio del Escorpión". It sounds pretty fly in Spanish. ''Escorpion Imperio'' on the other hand sounds pretty awkward.

It sucks that it became a low grade issue, I actually think using Scorpion Empire going forward is an elegant solution as the correct Spanish Grammar really seems to throw off some native English speakers. It even makes sense from a Lore perspective as a way to make it easy on the new Hana Citizens.

I like the idea however that a sizable group of Imperio Citizens will still use Imperio del Escorpión in everyday speech, as Spanish will probably still be a recognized official language.

Adroit writers should have the freedom to mix in both.

''Escorpion Imperio'' however should quietly be relegated.

Thank you!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Drewbacca

• Captain
« Reply #822 on: 23 November 2020, 06:49:22 »
Quick question, what is the paint scheme for the seeker galaxy.

Stormy

• Corporal
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #823 on: 23 November 2020, 10:52:30 »
I asked a couple of pages ago — Seekers use the old Chi Galaxy scheme, which I remember as brown with gold trim (more or less).

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #824 on: 23 November 2020, 11:53:39 »
I would suggest that is only true in the absence of Camo Specs confirming with a new miniature (since the insignias of various galaxies changed). I tend not to specify such things so that the artists can be free to develop something they like.

Stormy

• Corporal
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #825 on: 24 November 2020, 02:00:42 »
Even better - the freedom to make things up in advance of something official. (Which is great, ‘cause I’ve never painted minis before)

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #826 on: 24 November 2020, 12:54:05 »
It also means I get to devote word count to fluff instead. That might not mean much to non-writers, but the other writers out there should understand. (There's always more we want to cram in, but space becomes limited quickly.)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #827 on: 24 November 2020, 14:03:56 »
It also means I get to devote word count to fluff instead. That might not mean much to non-writers, but the other writers out there should understand. (There's always more we want to cram in, but space becomes limited quickly.)
No kidding on word counts. The smaller the limit, the trickier it is.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Running circles around the competition...
« Reply #828 on: 24 November 2020, 20:33:18 »
Well, Hanseatic Crusade packed a lot of fun in a small package.  Salute!

I fight the word limits too.  Except as a fiction writer for Shrapnel, it's always a 7k limit, which isn't bad.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #829 on: 24 November 2020, 20:45:22 »
Don't get me started on the pilot cards. How I cranked out 55 of them in under 24 hours... It's almost a miracle!

Stormy

• Corporal
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #830 on: 25 November 2020, 12:37:19 »
I feel the word count - and I’d echo what a fine product the Hanseatic Crusade is. I appreciate the elegance of the content.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #831 on: 25 November 2020, 13:16:48 »
Thanks. I really appreciate that.