Register Register

Author Topic: Fall of the Aurigan Coalition  (Read 4106 times)

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Fall of the Aurigan Coalition
« Reply #90 on: 11 December 2020, 12:59:36 »

I prefer them to be off the maps for being too irrelevant as this leaves more room for other irrelevant states.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society

Liam's Ghost

• Major
  • Miss Chitty demands justice for the Warhammer C
« Reply #91 on: 11 December 2020, 19:36:27 »
I prefer them to be off the maps for being too irrelevant as this leaves more room for other irrelevant states.

Not gonna lie, I'd dig that. I don't think it's gonna happen, as I think the current crop of writers are trying to scale back the scope of the universe (or at least the focus of that universe) to something they can more easily manage.

But I'd dig it if they did.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #92 on: 13 December 2020, 08:14:00 »
Yeah. We don't need to have every single exact location of such minor states on the world map, unless it is on the computer game - where every single locations are pre-made and you can go whatever you want. But what we want is not like this.

DevianID

• Private
« Reply #93 on: 13 December 2020, 18:55:54 »
I think Centrella backed the Aurigan Collation over the Directorate for a simple reason--a bloody civil war would ensure the Aurigan region would remain a toothless empire that serves as a nice border to hem in other powers.  Prior to the 4th succession war even before the Helm memory core was passed around, the inner sphere was finally recovering--new mechs and new tech combined with a new form of stable warfare that didn't destroy infrastructure.  A united expansionist Aurigan Directorate with a strong alliance with the Taurians would have pushed the major recovering inner sphere powers to have to re-examine their periphery borders--something Centrella would not have wanted.  Instead, Centrella paid some money to get one side some mercenaries and refit a big dropship, and watched from the sidelines as both the Aurigans and Taurians lost some major assets fighting over inconsequential worlds.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 14 December 2020, 01:34:40 »
Yeah. backing the border states have three benefits:
-You don't need to face your true opponent directly.
-You don't need to face the freedom fighter, and lets your true opponent to face their fierce hatred instead.
-It means you are actually show mercy to them, so they will like you and fight for you even if something is gone wrong.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #95 on: 14 December 2020, 01:52:17 »
yeah . . . the AC was a client state for the Magistry?  Also why they would not be recognized by others as readily.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Ouso

• Recruit
« Reply #96 on: 10 January 2021, 15:31:17 »
Honestly, the coalition limping along would at least explain why that area of space remains untouched for 150 years.  The most plausible result to me seems to be that the attempt to centralize government fails, and after Kamea the  coalition reverts to what is effectively a trade partnership between various small ruling houses and planetary governments (which is more or less it’s state at the start of 3025).

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #97 on: 13 January 2021, 12:15:41 »
As long as the more valuable planets retain some kind of mutual defense pact, it's probably not worth the effort to attack the coalition: too little gain for the effort involved.  That doesn't require an active central government, although the AC could very well still exist in name, but with no real authority or outside recognition beyond the couple of planets at the very core.  Whether Kamea or her successor(s) still govern isn't all that relevant.

If the AC is a going concern, with a sizable military force and control over a dozen or more planets, then their lack of mention on the maps becomes a lot less plausible, and Comstar certainly can't hide their presence from the Magistracy and Taurians.  Fronc would know about them, but might not have any direct concerns if they're not in some kind of dispute over any planets, particularly if they're nearby but not actually bordering them.

Ouso

• Recruit
« Reply #98 on: 13 January 2021, 23:25:29 »
Yeah - I sort of imagine something that hovers between a collection of random worlds and pirate kingdoms, and a real state. Economically stable enough, with enough local coordination on defense, to make then a hassle to conquer and not a raiding threat. Like a tiny HRE. There are references in the book to the centrifugal forces in the AC, and it makes sense to me that this area would end up losing most real central authority after Kamea is gone.

In that scenario, it really is potentially more useful to the bordering states as an ignored buffer zone and place for their corps to acquire cheap raw reaources.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #99 on: 15 January 2021, 18:00:02 »
Another RecGuide reference to the Aurigan Coalition and Restoration War . . . great shoutout to the game where a mech was left standing in the DZ as a dropship came in.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 15 January 2021, 18:17:45 »
Another RecGuide reference to the Aurigan Coalition and Restoration War . . . great shoutout to the game where a mech was left standing in the DZ as a dropship came in.

I thought that was hilarious.  Even I've misclicked and had a dropship squish one of my veteran mechwarriors before.  Ultimate headslap situation.....