Register Register

Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 7300 times)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #120 on: 07 June 2021, 10:52:39 »
If it's nothing we don't already know from SF, then it's likely just going to be internal affairs with intelligence and plans to move on Andurien being canceled.  Much like the Capellan book was just insight into the faction pre De-Stoning Terra. 

Yeah. They really got the releases backward. The novels are just retreading things already done in SF. They should've had the novels out before SF and following sourcebooks.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #121 on: 08 June 2021, 09:41:36 »
We will see how the Fluff evolves, what comes out in IlClan will give us a first image of what is to come

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 08 June 2021, 11:17:42 »
Yup. Especially the maps and faction summaries.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #123 on: 08 June 2021, 11:30:13 »
Hurry up and wait for likely bad news. 
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #124 on: 08 June 2021, 11:51:23 »
Hurry up and wait for likely bad news.

Hahahaha, don't worry here we have a saying "Prepare for the worst that is almost always right, if something good falls everything is a bonus"

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: 08 June 2021, 12:33:59 »
It would not be surprising if one of the three "sister" sourcebooks to Tamar Rising at least partially covered the ongoing wars on the Marians' doorstep. Yet while Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade demonstrates how a long-awaited focus on a Periphery faction can come at a cost, I would be surprised if the Hegemony was to end up going the same way as the Hanseatic League.

If only from a game perspective, the distinct force organization structure used by the Marian Legions (and, by extension, in the "post-Marian" Lothian League) stands out in a setting otherwise limited to regiments, Level IVs, and Galaxies. Given that there aren't many options for one of those three other organization types in the ilClan era thus far, it would be unfortunate to see the options narrowed yet further.

Actually, I have been wondering if a future product could offer BattleForce-type Cohort and Legion chain of command diagrams and sheets, akin to those offered in Strategic Operations for Inner Sphere/Periphery companies and regiments, ComStar/WoB Level IIIs and Level IVs, and Clan Clusters and Galaxies. Perhaps an ilClan-era sourcebook taking a look at the Hegemony's current troubles might be a good place to offer such charts?
« Last Edit: 08 June 2021, 12:36:20 by Nerroth »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #126 on: 08 June 2021, 12:40:29 »
It would not be surprising if one of the three "sister" sourcebooks to Tamar Rising at least partially covered the ongoing wars on the Marians' doorstep. Yet while Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade demonstrates how a long-awaited focus on a Periphery faction can come at a cost, I would be surprised if the Hegemony was to end up going the same way as the Hanseatic League.

If only from a game perspective, the distinct force organization structure used by the Marian Legions (and, by extension, in the "post-Marian" Lothian League) stands out in a setting otherwise limited to regiments, Level IVs, and Galaxies. Given that there aren't many options for one of those three other organization types in the ilClan era thus far, it would be unfortunate to see the options narrowed yet further.

Actually, I have been wondering if a future product could offer BattleForce-type Cohort and Legion force organization charts, akin to those offered in Strategic Operations for Inner Sphere/Periphery companies and regiments, ComStar/WoB Level IIIs and Level IVs, and Clan Clusters and Galaxies. Perhaps an ilClan-era sourcebook taking a look at the Hegemony's current troubles might be a good place to offer such charts?

It could be, but it would be strange to me that they were occupied in that depth in the Marian Hegemony, but when previously they have occupied little and nothing

We will see the first mentions in IlClan in the year 3151, then we will have to wait for the zone book as you say, but that they will expand for the better in the Hegemony I see it difficult, except in MPS there was little or no expansion on society / military / reforms / factories

And the factories only had that level of detail in the Objectives Raids and of those I doubt that we will see one again in a long time

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #127 on: 08 June 2021, 15:37:13 »
Nevermind.  Gonna wait and see while I play MW5 and build my Century which the last two are processing.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2021, 22:47:42 by Turaglas »
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #128 on: 09 June 2021, 07:41:09 »

Really? They even wrote the MHAF as using lances instead of Centuries in one of the recent Rec Guides. It shows that the Hegemony is quite expendable in the current timeline.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #129 on: 09 June 2021, 08:28:01 »
Really? They even wrote the MHAF as using lances instead of Centuries in one of the recent Rec Guides. It shows that the Hegemony is quite expendable in the current timeline.

Or someone made a mistake and it wasn't caught.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: 09 June 2021, 08:48:38 »
MHAF has unique force composition so it could slip by editor/fact-checker. I hope that they update(d) it. It's a pretty daring mistake and should be corrected.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 09 June 2021, 10:22:45 »
To their credit, it was errata'd and quickly corrected

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #132 on: 09 June 2021, 10:24:58 »
Or someone made a mistake and it wasn't caught.

Aja skip all the Marian military order type and put them like vanilla mech spears? It seems to me something bigger than a little mistake, not to mention the atrocity of not reading a little about the faction and saying that they sell slaves to citizens. That "mistake" has passed four soccer fields

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 09 June 2021, 10:46:45 »
Aja skip all the Marian military order type and put them like vanilla mech spears?

What does that even mean?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #134 on: 09 June 2021, 10:50:48 »
spears = lances - as in the basic 4-unit organization.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 09 June 2021, 11:04:35 »
I guess it is far more likely that the writers are attempting to denigrate and remove the Marians but need to do so slowly because of the power of it's fiat than a writer accidentally using the standard BattleTech formation instead of a century.  ::)

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #136 on: 09 June 2021, 11:12:52 »
MHAF has unique force composition so it could slip by editor/fact-checker. I hope that they update(d) it. It's a pretty daring mistake and should be corrected.

Is that, as I put in the post to Kit, the "Mistake" goes beyond the errors of the name of the MHAF army, the sole concept of selling slaves to a citizen is punishable by the law of the own Hegemony is Patrician Or Plebeyan, it could have been that they were sent to the Mortuori Cohort to atone for their guilt, but in what seems somewhat on purpose it is said that the Hegemony does something contrary to its own law as a more common and wild Bandit Kingdom, and not a nation of laws

And that is unforgivable if they have something similar to a Fast Checking / Editor team that fairly follows the fluff they write above, which I already doubt considering the contradictions between the Field Manual 3145 / Era Report 3145 to the ridiculousness of Shattered Fortress

The Century / Maniple thing was already reported in the Errata post

If it seems so small that they skip the Marian Laws, I hope to see soon that the Wolves sell the Republicans as slaves or that they sell their old men instead of sending them as Solamhna
« Last Edit: 09 June 2021, 11:21:28 by Adacas »

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • MUL Contributor
« Reply #137 on: 09 June 2021, 11:23:03 »
OK. I think it should be said that not every author (and there's a decent number of them!) is an expert when it comes to every faction. Sometimes a few mistakes are made during the writing process. This is normal. A product where an author gets absolutely everything right is exceedingly rare.

Normally this gets picked up on during fact check. It slipped through here. I can only speak for myself, but my recent focus has been in other areas, meaning that some of my Periphery knowledge has gotten a bit rusty. And heck! I've got a few centuries of Marians next to my work desk. I can assure you that there was no malice on my behalf, just a fine example of errare humanum est in action.

If it can be reassuring, I used that mistake as an excuse to brush up on my Marian knowledge, and read my way through relevant passages in about ten different sourcebooks to solidify myself with them once more.
Tu habites au Qu├ębec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #138 on: 09 June 2021, 12:00:37 »
OK. I think it should be said that not every author (and there's a decent number of them!) is an expert when it comes to every faction. Sometimes a few mistakes are made during the writing process. This is normal. A product where an author gets absolutely everything right is exceedingly rare.

Normally this gets picked up on during fact check. It slipped through here. I can only speak for myself, but my recent focus has been in other areas, meaning that some of my Periphery knowledge has gotten a bit rusty. And heck! I've got a few centuries of Marians next to my work desk. I can assure you that there was no malice on my behalf, just a fine example of errare humanum est in action.

If it can be reassuring, I used that mistake as an excuse to brush up on my Marian knowledge, and read my way through relevant passages in about ten different sourcebooks to solidify myself with them once more.

Relax, we all make more mistakes if it is from a faction that you do not know too much, the correction process must be arduous, and it seems to me that the writing by the author could have induced more error than by the correction team itself.

If you want to ask any Fluff query or interpret something from the Marian point of view you can ask us here or privately how more comfortable and neat it is, my English is not very good but I manage to collect all the fluff marian, so you can Ask me, Mekorig, Arkroyalravager, Turaglas, Saint, Weirdo or any other member of the Faction that has been around for a long time, I say it in case something you read does not fit or close or how to interpret it from the point of view peripheral

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #139 on: 09 June 2021, 12:35:07 »
For the record, I still know jack in terms of complete reference.  I'm still missing good bits of the Jihad and I am constantly having to re-read SF blurbs to not mixup words with the current conflict.  Part of why I picked a periphery faction because a Clan or Great House would require a lot more reading. 

I can form coherent sentences again since the concussion subsided though!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #140 on: 09 June 2021, 14:11:01 »
I can form coherent sentences again since the concussion subsided though!

Yikes! Glad you're feeling better!

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #141 on: 09 June 2021, 15:31:52 »
Last of my minis game in.  Time to build that century.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2021, 22:20:06 by Turaglas »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #142 on: 13 June 2021, 17:05:57 »
Add Crusader-7M In The MUL List , little did we receive this return already discounting the 5M that we already figured, it hurts not to have a version of the BR with Claws

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #143 on: 17 June 2021, 09:46:27 »
Anything from Shrapnel #5?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #144 on: 17 June 2021, 10:29:13 »
No, I still have no news on the subject, do you know that something from Sharpell has been solid for the Hegemony?

From what I read out there at the moment there was some fluff from the Crusader Liran but little news more
« Last Edit: 17 June 2021, 11:04:29 by Adacas »

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #145 on: 17 June 2021, 22:23:01 »
Let me ask on Discord.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #146 on: 18 June 2021, 11:25:27 »
There I saw the Sharpel 5, as it seems to be the norm, the Marian mention is small about a Sub machine gun called Tiberius and how the Lotharians make a version based on it, their own called Spartacus, curious that when we could do retroengineering of other technological levels , with our own factories we are unable to do it

To wait for the crumbs that are thrown at us in the new Rec Guide, because it is seen that Hegemony is very useless, very gross for own developments according to the writers

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #147 on: 18 June 2021, 17:10:11 »
This is why you buy Taurian arms.  Great for killing Fedrats and Cappienists.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 20 June 2021, 06:53:11 »
There I saw the Sharpel 5, as it seems to be the norm, the Marian mention is small about a Sub machine gun called Tiberius and how the Lotharians make a version based on it, their own called Spartacus, curious that when we could do retroengineering of other technological levels , with our own factories we are unable to do it

To wait for the crumbs that are thrown at us in the new Rec Guide, because it is seen that Hegemony is very useless, very gross for own developments according to the writers

So we can manufacture good battlesuits but fail at a technology like SMGs? We even have some of the best regular infantry in the Periphery, imagine the Caesar's Royal Guard forced to use junk guns.

Yet another case of flip-flopping about the Hegemony's technology and the painfully-forced cartoon villain role the faction is forced to take. You'd imagine a nation that can build standard technology medium ASFs since the 3070s would be able to manufacture decent small arms 80 years later.

Or perhaps those nice Shilones will be retconned into primitive versions too.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #149 on: 20 June 2021, 09:20:13 »
I decided to use some handwavium a while back. It's just too foolish to keep production of primitive tech mechs for a faction that is looking to expand. So using basic logic here is what I'd say the Marians are producing by the Dark Age.
I added the Brigand because of the MUL entry and I think it would be easy to build it as it is the same weight and speed as the Commando. Plus it's not like the Haven's Star Cluster pirates or Vengeance Inc are the suing type.

- - - Domestic 'Mechs - - -
Locust LCT-1V2
Commando COM-4H
Brigand LDT-1
Icarus ICR-2S
Centurion CN9-H2H and H3
Gladiator GLD-5R
Emperor EMP-6A
« Last Edit: 20 June 2021, 09:26:09 by Saint »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Register