Register Register

Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 6896 times)

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #150 on: 20 June 2021, 09:30:15 »
So we can manufacture good battlesuits but fail at a technology like SMGs? We even have some of the best regular infantry in the Periphery, imagine the Caesar's Royal Guard forced to use junk guns.

Yet another case of flip-flopping about the Hegemony's technology and the painfully-forced cartoon villain role the faction is forced to take. You'd imagine a nation that can build standard technology medium ASFs since the 3070s would be able to manufacture decent small arms 80 years later.

Or perhaps those nice Shilones will be retconned into primitive versions too.

I don't know anything about the tabletop infantry meat scale weapons to draw comparisons.  Is it actually a bad weapon or is it just a meme Craig threw in as filler?

Gonna use some armchair here, smgs kind of fell behind in real life outside of PDW weapons for everyone who isn't civilians and law enforcement.  Main reason is pistol caliber rounds do jack **** for armor, SBRs using intermediate rounds are where its hot currently because the loss of muzzle velocity from decreasing the barrel still out performs them firing lots of little pews.  I wouldn't fathom anyone issuing this for anyone that isn't support crew like tankers or vtol pilots, or people who are still scared about over penetration around civilians.  Second, large magazine Vladof bullet hose memes don't sound useful outside squad automatic weapons or enclosed spaces like ship raiding.  Lmgs and sbrs can easily be built off or converted from a hegemony standard-issue rifle.  The writer here evidently did not understand what the definition of force multiplier means.

This sounds like a pirate weapon, not MHAF service equipment.  Shot placement is going to be more important, especially with factions who are strapped on tech, resources, anddoesn't require a lot of cleaning either.

I decided to use some handwavium a while back. It's just too foolish to keep production of primitive tech mechs for a faction that is looking to expand. So using basic logic here is what I'd say the Marians are producing by the Dark Age.
I added the Brigand because of the MUL entry and I think it would be easy to build it as it is the same weight and speed as the Commando. Plus it's not like the Haven's Star Cluster pirates or Vengeance Inc are the suing type.

- - - Domestic 'Mechs - - -
Locust LCT-1V2
Commando COM-4H
Brigand LDT-1
Icarus ICR-2S
Centurion CN9-H2H and H3
Gladiator GLD-5R
Emperor EMP-6A

Makes sense I guess, if we're going to be stuck with pirate ties we may as well get a pirate mech seeing as how the Brotherhood got our rocket commando variant as a local production run now.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2021, 14:23:55 by Turaglas »
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #151 on: 20 June 2021, 11:17:11 »
That's not too bad of a mix for the Marians. Upgraded weapons and tech would make them better of coursee
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #152 on: 20 June 2021, 12:01:49 »
I decided to use some handwavium a while back. It's just too foolish to keep production of primitive tech mechs for a faction that is looking to expand. So using basic logic here is what I'd say the Marians are producing by the Dark Age.
I added the Brigand because of the MUL entry and I think it would be easy to build it as it is the same weight and speed as the Commando. Plus it's not like the Haven's Star Cluster pirates or Vengeance Inc are the suing type.

- - - Domestic 'Mechs - - -
Locust LCT-1V2
Commando COM-4H
Brigand LDT-1
Icarus ICR-2S
Centurion CN9-H2H and H3
Gladiator GLD-5R
Emperor EMP-6A

It would not be surprising if the Hegemony builds some more Light mech version, something very common like the Wasp or the Stinger.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #153 on: 20 June 2021, 14:28:21 »
That's not too bad of a mix for the Marians. Upgraded weapons and tech would make them better of coursee

You're right.  Maybe semi-modern refit kits with some weird designs.

Could even throw in old Hunchbacks in.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #154 on: 20 June 2021, 15:08:23 »
Given the good relations with the Taurian's i'm surprised the Hegemony isn't making the Stinger -5R and Wasp -3P.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #155 on: 20 June 2021, 18:44:26 »
Given the good relations with the Taurian's i'm surprised the Hegemony isn't making the Stinger -5R and Wasp -3P.

It is a more than reasonable appreciation about possible versions of Stinger / Wasp that could be manufactured in the Hegemony

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #156 on: 21 June 2021, 02:16:06 »

I think the friendliness is more attributed to the MIC building in Taurian space.  Presuming the Taurians and MH are indifferent to each other even though most Taurian players I know don't really care and are good people.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #157 on: 21 June 2021, 05:51:06 »
It would not be surprising if the Hegemony builds some more Light mech version, something very common like the Wasp or the Stinger.

The ones with Light PPCs are good and easy to produce too

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #158 on: 21 June 2021, 10:30:18 »
I think the friendliness is more attributed to the MIC building in Taurian space.  Presuming the Taurians and MH are indifferent to each other even though most Taurian players I know don't really care and are good people.

no, Since 3075 the TTI and Pinard have a good relationship with the Marian Arms and have sold the Maultier as a design, to that the partnership between the ATC Perdition and Alphard for the Fulcrum, and the military exchange between the two states say more than a good neighborhood.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #159 on: 21 June 2021, 11:40:11 »

The TC/MH relation is...complicated. Up to Jeffrey Calderon ascencion, the TC was selling molitary equipment to the MH, especially the exchange of the Gladius's taurian made Pontiac 50 AC/10 for a part of the hover production. Jeffrey cancelled it for obvious reasons, but after he died, the new Protector, Grover Shraplen, restarted the trading. Also by this time you have the dealing between Perdition´s ATC, Alphard´s ATC and Kendall´s ATC/KY to produce the upgraded Fulcrums in the MH. By the DA you see Marian Arms Inc. and Pinard Protectorates Limited[ co-producing the Marian-designed Marauder BA.

I would not say that the MH/TC have a "buddy" relation, but i am sure they have a healthy commercial relationship.
No deseés que mueran tus enemigos
Es mejor que estén vivos para verte triunfar
La conciencia vale más que mil testigos
Nunca lastimes a quién después no puedas matar

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 21 June 2021, 16:35:18 »
The TC/MH relation is...complicated. Up to Jeffrey Calderon ascencion, the TC was selling molitary equipment to the MH, especially the exchange of the Gladius's taurian made Pontiac 50 AC/10 for a part of the hover production. Jeffrey cancelled it for obvious reasons, but after he died, the new Protector, Grover Shraplen, restarted the trading. Also by this time you have the dealing between Perdition´s ATC, Alphard´s ATC and Kendall´s ATC/KY to produce the upgraded Fulcrums in the MH. By the DA you see Marian Arms Inc. and Pinard Protectorates Limited[ co-producing the Marian-designed Marauder BA.

I would not say that the MH/TC have a "buddy" relation, but i am sure they have a healthy commercial relationship.

With the MoC being tied to the CapCon it makes some sense for the Taurians to keep relations with the Hegemony friendly.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #161 on: 21 June 2021, 22:16:13 »
Periphery factions and sense?

Holy crap hell is freezing over. 

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #162 on: 22 June 2021, 06:18:30 »
With the MoC being tied to the CapCon it makes some sense for the Taurians to keep relations with the Hegemony friendly.

This. They are both interested in keeping the much-stronger Canopians from swallowing them up on a whim.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #163 on: 22 June 2021, 11:57:40 »
Add Wolwerine 11M and 9R to the Marian MUL

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #164 on: 23 June 2021, 22:43:07 »
Got a question about Marian formations, did they switch to quasi Roman when Julius instituted his reforms, or before Marius' reforms?  I know they received the Latin names after the Lothian conquest.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #165 on: 24 June 2021, 10:37:31 »
Got a question about Marian formations, did they switch to quasi Roman when Julius instituted his reforms, or before Marius' reforms?  I know they received the Latin names after the Lothian conquest.

The training on 10/5/30 was done by Marius, if you mean the names and functions of each Legio if I think it is part of Julius's Reformation

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #166 on: 26 June 2021, 00:34:18 »
I'm gonna look through de re militari and see what I can use to Romanify more of my Marian stuff.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #167 on: 27 June 2021, 14:23:35 »
We will always have to do the work of Romanization / Marianization of the mechs, not all of them are the Sarcina unfortunately

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #168 on: 28 June 2021, 01:44:49 »
Yeah it's a beautiful design.  Little too much embellishment for my tastes but perfect for the Praetorians. 

Going to ask something for the other Marian players, how do you guys view internally the MH itself?  As a deluxe bandit Kingdom or a growing underdog nation?
« Last Edit: 29 June 2021, 07:08:41 by Turaglas »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #169 on: 29 June 2021, 22:37:58 »
I see the Marian Hegemony as a growing nation that was not given much development except in the period 3064/3074, that is, during the Julius period and immediately after this, the most detailed book on what the Marian Hegemony is like is by that era the Glorious Mayor Periphery States

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #170 on: 30 June 2021, 01:28:51 »
Even Sean's period was given better treatment than the current one. He brought in the Gladius and conquered the Lothians.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #171 on: 30 June 2021, 08:47:21 »
The obvious not withstanding, I'd say Sean really put the drive into nation building over Marius.  Although we need another Julius.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #172 on: 30 June 2021, 09:46:43 »
Clearly, the consolidation of the Nation began with Marius, he made the first reform of the MHAF and created the Collegium Bellorum, he also did the Colonization program that added 4 more systems.
Then the MHAF was expanded and Lothario conquered, created the Air Academy of Aerofighters / DS / JS.
Julius colonized Valerius and conquered Illyria and two of the worlds of Circinus (bah according to Fluff's books people received him as liberators), then he took Hazeldan and Huntington who were in chaos and were used as a base by marik units related to WoB.
He expanded the Bellorum to train nearly two Cohorts per year of excellent troops and expanded the curriculum to BA / BA Marines Infantry. It also expanded the Air Academy and expanded the Mars Training Camps in resources to train Mech / Tanks / Infantry, mainly for commoners and patricians with fewer resources to supply the MHAF and militias of each planet.
Already in the social thing he made profound reforms giving them Tribunes of the Plebs and a legislative chamber to be elected by the Plebeians that had less power than the Senate of course.
He also made the Illyrians, Lotharians, and Circinians citizens, and Cassius extended that to Marik's annexed worlds.

Clearly we need a Caesar builder, a Julius, Trajan, Hadrian or Marco Aurelio, once our current problems are finished, the nation will need to be strengthened, and the best thing in my opinion as I already explained elsewhere is to open several colonization zones, and make it grow economically. / Technologically the nation, and separate ourselves from the Inner Sphere and its "IlClan" Raised in a cloning vat and its eugenic warriors
« Last Edit: 30 June 2021, 09:52:42 by Adacas »

MDFification

• Recruit
« Reply #173 on: 30 June 2021, 10:18:17 »
Clearly we need a Caesar builder, a Julius, Trajan, Hadrian or Marco Aurelio, once our current problems are finished, the nation will need to be strengthened, and the best thing in my opinion as I already explained elsewhere is to open several colonization zones, and make it grow economically. / Technologically the nation, and separate ourselves from the Inner Sphere and its "IlClan" Raised in a cloning vat and its eugenic warriors

It would be one heck of a twist for someone in the Periphery to be allowed to have nice things for once. Unfortunately, any time a Periphery state starts building better institutions, developing economically or settling new colonies, it usually means they're overdue for some sort of military disaster that either wipes them out or sets them back decades. Happened to Finnmark, happened to Oberon, happened to the Taurians, happened to the Illyrians, probably would have happened to the Rim Collection if the writers remembered they existed, looks like it's happening to the Marians in the 3150s with the war between them and Marik.

Still, looks like the Dark Age is closing the technological gap between the Periphery and the Inner Sphere somewhat. I still have hope.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #174 on: 30 June 2021, 12:02:35 »
It would be one heck of a twist for someone in the Periphery to be allowed to have nice things for once. Unfortunately, any time a Periphery state starts building better institutions, developing economically or settling new colonies, it usually means they're overdue for some sort of military disaster that either wipes them out or sets them back decades. Happened to Finnmark, happened to Oberon, happened to the Taurians, happened to the Illyrians, probably would have happened to the Rim Collection if the writers remembered they existed, looks like it's happening to the Marians in the 3150s with the war between them and Marik.

Still, looks like the Dark Age is closing the technological gap between the Periphery and the Inner Sphere somewhat. I still have hope.

We will see what happens, even that war does not end, the worst may happen to us or the nuts may turn, likewise, starting colonization would have to be once the tail-blows of these confrontations end.

And if the Hegemony could colonize worlds before, it could do it again.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #175 on: 30 June 2021, 22:38:42 »

Somewhat.  Writers said in the recguide ama that new stuff is still going to be traded for and the Sea Foxes are going to be trading.  Assuming of course they stop tapeworming into the FWL.

We will see what happens, even that war does not end, the worst may happen to us or the nuts may turn, likewise, starting colonization would have to be once the tail-blows of these confrontations end.

And if the Hegemony could colonize worlds before, it could do it again.

I'll be happy if we don't get roped into further proxying for a faction (most of us don't like) and sidelined with more hilariously bad filler like it's a Matt Ward book.  I'll also be thankful if the Marians do something nation building worthy that takes Josh Sawyer's meme out of people's minds when thinking of Romaboo's in space.  Maybe allying with the Timbuktu Collective and Taurians finally since I feel like the future merger might cut and run from Marian manufacturing. 

I do agree in colonizing further but I'm not sure how far we're gonna go there with a focus primarily on Clans and a crumbling IS.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #176 on: 30 June 2021, 23:30:31 »
Somewhat.  Writers said in the recguide ama that new stuff is still going to be traded for and the Sea Foxes are going to be trading.  Assuming of course they stop tapeworming into the FWL.

I'll be happy if we don't get roped into further proxying for a faction (most of us don't like) and sidelined with more hilariously bad filler like it's a Matt Ward book.  I'll also be thankful if the Marians do something nation building worthy that takes Josh Sawyer's meme out of people's minds when thinking of Romaboo's in space.  Maybe allying with the Timbuktu Collective and Taurians finally since I feel like the future merger might cut and run from Marian manufacturing. 

I do agree in colonizing further but I'm not sure how far we're gonna go there with a focus primarily on Clans and a crumbling IS.

Regarding the Marian industry, I think that since 3085 we have enough of our own industry, it is necessary to know how much only when it occurs to them to say it, it is possible that we still depend on other markets for the most modern equipment but not much beyond that.

As for what we talk about the Colonization I think that the more colonies the province of Alphard gives to the deep periphery and from the Valerius area the better than the better, if things develop as it seems they will happen in the Inner Sphere we will have waves Refugees and groups leaving the Inner Sphere can be absorbed or allowed to pass, they can even be tempted to join their own colonizing process.

If it would be nice if they take care of developing the Marian Hegemony as they should, but for that we will have to wait and see, the meme-like positions about the Hegemonics are smiling once after they get boring, I hope they realize it
« Last Edit: 30 June 2021, 23:37:57 by Adacas »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #177 on: 01 July 2021, 02:11:23 »
Clearly, the consolidation of the Nation began with Marius, he made the first reform of the MHAF and created the Collegium Bellorum, he also did the Colonization program that added 4 more systems.
Then the MHAF was expanded and Lothario conquered, created the Air Academy of Aerofighters / DS / JS.
Julius colonized Valerius and conquered Illyria and two of the worlds of Circinus (bah according to Fluff's books people received him as liberators), then he took Hazeldan and Huntington who were in chaos and were used as a base by marik units related to WoB.
He expanded the Bellorum to train nearly two Cohorts per year of excellent troops and expanded the curriculum to BA / BA Marines Infantry. It also expanded the Air Academy and expanded the Mars Training Camps in resources to train Mech / Tanks / Infantry, mainly for commoners and patricians with fewer resources to supply the MHAF and militias of each planet.
Already in the social thing he made profound reforms giving them Tribunes of the Plebs and a legislative chamber to be elected by the Plebeians that had less power than the Senate of course.
He also made the Illyrians, Lotharians, and Circinians citizens, and Cassius extended that to Marik's annexed worlds.

Well said. We do need a new Julius or one of the Five Good Emperors-style leader.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #178 on: 01 July 2021, 05:26:48 »
Or at the least a competent one.  If we can't get new colony worlds then we need more industrial improvements on our current worlds especially because we're likely going to lose a lot more territory now and have to make up losing Illyria.  I wouldn't be surprised if we shrink and lose the entire Illyrian province or get shot in the back by Lothario.  While we're at it let's hope the Timbuktu Collective and Taurians don't get screwed over too.

Edit: I literally forgot what I posted earlier.  I can't brain today.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2021, 05:51:24 by Turaglas »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #179 on: 01 July 2021, 11:36:59 »
Or at the least a competent one.  If we can't get new colony worlds then we need more industrial improvements on our current worlds especially because we're likely going to lose a lot more territory now and have to make up losing Illyria.  I wouldn't be surprised if we shrink and lose the entire Illyrian province or get shot in the back by Lothario.  While we're at it let's hope the Timbuktu Collective and Taurians don't get screwed over too.

Edit: I literally forgot what I posted earlier.  I can't brain today.

The Hegemonic central worlds are industrialized, of course any improvement will be quite well received, we must see what happens with the Illyrian Front in the next books, the colonization adds resources, jump points and strategic positioning.

The Lotharians could only attack with a big hand from a writer, they don't even have a Full Legion and they depend on the equipment that we sell them.

Ignatius until 3145 was doing it regularly well, expanding investments in factories, improving trade and with the cultural annexation program, then in Shattered Fortress he does the complete opposite and acts like a chump.