Register Register

Author Topic: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising  (Read 120887 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising
« Reply #510 on: 23 October 2021, 15:40:30 »
Given the resurrection of Star League, this time by very blood thirsty descendants of the original, i would expect this to even expedite any Taurian reunification.
I mean, anyone want to take bets that the Star League is NOT coming for the Taurians?
It may not happen for the next 10 years but... well, i would expect it to be inevitable from Taurian POV, perhaps.

Also, some speculation. Alaric Ward claims only Steiner heritage publicly but since he is a Steiner-Davion, he has some claim to the Throne of the Federated Suns. And the Federated Suns is weary. I do wonder if they'd be willing to swear fealty to the ilClan? If so, the Taurians would share border with the new Star League...
Just sayin' potentially dangerous years ahead.

Uncertain how sane the current Taurian (and Calderon) leaders are. And how paranoid.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #511 on: 23 October 2021, 19:06:41 »
For paint scheme I'm thinking of doing a couple lances in a modified First Taurian Pride scheme. The red and brown might wash out a little, so I'm thinking of maybe leaning more to a cold blue-white as a secondary pop colour instead of/in addition to the brown, and bright cockpits - maybe with some brass/bronze metallic panelling to evoke the brown that's mentioned.

You could still make the red work by darkening the brown.  I think what makes red and brown wash out on a lot of minis is that they're often of too similar a value (brightness).  Then for hue contrast, use something close to teal for the cockpits, lasers, and a marking here or there.

If you use cold blue-white instead of red, I think you still want a somewhat dark main color for the same reason.  More bronze than brass.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #512 on: 24 October 2021, 03:09:13 »
The current Taurian and Calderon leaders are pretty solid. All of the crazed ones are either dead or deposed, and I think the TC was the one who extended the reunification offer by marriage to the CP.  Should that happen, it should settle down the TC's relationships with the FS more since the CP has enjoyed expanded trade relations with the FS and the Filtvelt Coalition for several decades. The CP even builds Fedcom Civil War and Jihad era Fedsuns designs in their territory.  So the reunified Tauriand wilild have access to Davion, Liao, Magistracy, Filtvelt, Brotherhood of Randis, Clan Sea Fox and their own production to draw from.  That's a lot of sources for good units.  Especially since the Taurians are producing Royal Star Leauge era Thunderbolts, Warhammers and Marauders at this point as well.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #513 on: 24 October 2021, 05:02:21 »
The current Taurian and Calderon leaders are pretty solid. All of the crazed ones are either dead or deposed, and I think the TC was the one who extended the reunification offer by marriage to the CP.  Should that happen, it should settle down the TC's relationships with the FS more since the CP has enjoyed expanded trade relations with the FS and the Filtvelt Coalition for several decades. The CP even builds Fedcom Civil War and Jihad era Fedsuns designs in their territory.  So the reunified Tauriand wilild have access to Davion, Liao, Magistracy, Filtvelt, Brotherhood of Randis, Clan Sea Fox and their own production to draw from.  That's a lot of sources for good units.  Especially since the Taurians are producing Royal Star Leauge era Thunderbolts, Warhammers and Marauders at this point as well.

Also a surprise to me that they haven't added SL Royal Archers to that list as well.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #514 on: 24 October 2021, 08:36:57 »
Also a surprise to me that they haven't added SL Royal Archers to that list as well.
The Archer 4M and 4M2 nigh-identical and universally available. The Royal Archer got a ton more ammo at the expense of one rear laser, it just ain't worth manufacture it. Would not be surprised if individual warriors have their 'Mechs altered to what's functionally identical to the Royal Archer, but there's absolutely no point in manufacturing that.

It is actually somewhat bizarre the Free World League does manufacture the Royal Archer (which would've been reintroduced circa 3072)... utterly redundant and pointless.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

GuyIncognito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #515 on: 24 October 2021, 10:40:14 »
Maybe it's a marketing thing.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #516 on: 24 October 2021, 14:34:30 »
ah, yes, arms manufacturers in tandem with national militaries. the premier Rational Actors in any economic model

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #517 on: 24 October 2021, 22:28:01 »
You could still make the red work by darkening the brown.  I think what makes red and brown wash out on a lot of minis is that they're often of too similar a value (brightness).  Then for hue contrast, use something close to teal for the cockpits, lasers, and a marking here or there.

If you use cold blue-white instead of red, I think you still want a somewhat dark main color for the same reason.  More bronze than brass.

Ooh, thanks. I didn't think of varying the values. I'll have a play around with some stripes on a piece of sprue and see what pops. I think red for the main body is a given, and maybe slightly varied shades of it on different mechs. I think there's a couple of good teal-y shades I have access to in my paint collection as well. I appreciate the advice - I was initially thinking a kind of bright blue, but then I spent a while looking at Blood Angels Devastators and Genesis Chapter vets and decided I don't want blue heads on red bodies. Teal could be a nice area to explore!

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #518 on: 24 October 2021, 22:54:08 »
On the topic of the future of relations between Taurians, I do think it's possible that Alaric or his successors wind up following in Ian Cameron's bloody footsteps, though that seems like a lot of other stuff has to happen first - getting the other houses on board has so many challenges, and I don't think there's much to suggest that dangling a periphery invasion is going to get them all to line up - or at least, not all are interested or care about the "southwest". And unlike the first invasion and the freedom war, the Canopians are in a really good position and the Outworlders are (however unhappily) either militarily stiffened or politically onboarded by the Ravens.

Along those lines, if strategists of all parties have learned anything (a big if for Terran and Taurian hotheads at times, to be sure) from 3067+, it's that the Davions don't actually care that much about the Taurians; indeed, the continued existence of Filtvelt might show less paranoid Taurians that the Suns realizes it might actually be better to have economically active neighbours and a stable border on the outside, especially when the Dragon and the Cappellans are such major threats, rather than have a bunch of relatively un-industrialized worlds that it's responsible for managing poorly. It seems that at the moment anyway both parts of the Taurian polity aren't all that attractive to gobble down; the more attractive it gets, the more painful it'll be to eat, too. It may be that if left to their own devices (for the foreseeable, at least) to sell and trade and deal with other local states, ALL of those small fringe actors might develop their economies enough to make them good markets for the the fine wares that khajit has the FedSuns produces. Of course, all of that assumes that the relevant decision making bodies don't go supervillain again, and obviously from an OOC perspective we want fun military storytelling - but I think there are plenty of interesting stories and campaigns to be had if 3151+ marks an upswing in the fortunes of the Taurians.

As to unit production - I can't really wrap my head around how one goes about finding out who makes what, but I went back in this thread a few pages and found a previous person's list and selected 10 mechs to form into a couple of lances + alternates.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #519 on: 25 October 2021, 02:34:46 »
Another thing is that the TC and CP have a lot of systems to reintegrate before they look outside their own old borders. They are small even when combined, much smaller than the old TC was.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #520 on: 25 October 2021, 03:22:11 »
Is the TC  making any Clan grade hardware at this point?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #521 on: 25 October 2021, 07:27:29 »
No

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #522 on: 25 October 2021, 09:39:12 »
Clan and mixed-tech stuff available to the Taurians and Periphery in general:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Technologies=2&Technologies=3&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=57&Factions=47
Grand total of 22 units.

Figure the Griffin IIC and Lupus OmniMech are the most notable things.
-What's the difference?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #523 on: 25 October 2021, 19:06:06 »
Clan and mixed-tech stuff available to the Taurians and Periphery in general:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Technologies=2&Technologies=3&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=57&Factions=47
Grand total of 22 units.

Figure the Griffin IIC and Lupus OmniMech are the most notable things.
Yeah but there's a difference between making it themselves and buying from the Diamond Sharks.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #524 on: 25 October 2021, 22:41:29 »
they are not making any. about the only access periphery nations have access to clantech is via cash
« Last Edit: 25 October 2021, 22:52:11 by Sartris »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #525 on: 25 October 2021, 22:58:31 »
with the notable exception of the Outworlds-Raven Alliance. having a live-in Clan has benefits, even if they do tend to be the tail wagging the dog sometimes in terms of interstellar politics.

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #526 on: 26 October 2021, 13:02:32 »
I expected the Sea Fox sales will shoot up rather dramatically as they work through those salvage yards on Terra. Of course, what actually gets bought by relatively small states is another question, but it certainly seems like there's going to be a lot going around.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #527 on: 26 October 2021, 13:06:29 »
I expected the Sea Fox sales will shoot up rather dramatically as they work through those salvage yards on Terra. Of course, what actually gets bought by relatively small states is another question, but it certainly seems like there's going to be a lot going around.
Now i'm imagining the Sea Fox log evolving, getting fatter and fatter until it bursts.
-What's the difference?

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #528 on: 27 October 2021, 16:06:34 »
To be fair do the Sea Foxes, they've probably got the most well tuned marketing system in all of human space when it comes to rebranding. :P

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #529 on: 28 October 2021, 12:53:35 »
Maaannnnn. Just read the Periphery 1E and 2E sourcebooks. Things were going so well in 3058, and then a combination of unfortunate events and paranoia really came together to turn everything into a horrible dumpster fire. Has it been revealed yet whether the asteroid strike was directed by some other party? Obviously the Shraplen/Tharn/Urratia line was that it was a Suns plot somehow, but that seems well discounted by the lack of interest the Suns took in the Taurian worlds except as a response to invasion.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #530 on: 28 October 2021, 17:44:34 »
The asteroid strike was confirmed to be the WOB.
They used a Faslane to launch the asteroid. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #531 on: 28 October 2021, 20:44:06 »
you know the same group who was shaping the info that Shraplen/Tharn was getting news and intelligence
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #532 on: 28 October 2021, 20:48:23 »
you know the same group who was shaping the info that Shraplen/Tharn was getting news and intelligence

Or so the Davions would have us believe.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #533 on: 29 October 2021, 05:51:02 »

When you tell a nation of paranoids the thing they want to hear, it's not hard to get them to believe it.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #534 on: 30 October 2021, 01:02:12 »
Did the WoB have some scheme in mind, or was it just a case of desiring general devastation to ensue?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #535 on: 30 October 2021, 02:59:19 »
Did the WoB have some scheme in mind, or was it just a case of desiring general devastation to ensue?

It was more a case of keeping the Taurian's fighting the FedSuns.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #536 on: 30 October 2021, 12:05:49 »
are you sure it wasn't the Newgrange class Erinyes?

(i mean, for one the WoB didn't have any Faslane's, those all stayed with C*)
« Last Edit: 30 October 2021, 12:10:52 by glitterboy2098 »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #537 on: 30 October 2021, 15:51:31 »

Keep the suns occupied and let the taurians devastate their worlds. Heck the WoB gifted them a shiny Quixote Warship so the Taurians could run amok. The Fedsuns lst one of their fox corvettes (the Kathil) and another was heavily damaged (the New Syrtis) trying to destroy this ship until the Vendetta ran into a minefield over Firgrove and then getting pelted by surface to space missiles.

Though what the Taurians did not expect was that Hansens Roughriders would lay waste to several planets within the Concordat razing cities and vital factories to the ground.

Oh there was an interesting tidbit in the FM 3067: in the intelligence briefing about the Magistracy by Kernoff he stated that the Magistracy was actually growing by sucking the concordat dry. Was that just assumptions or did it really happen? I think Kernoff's analysis had some merit (Detroit is the biggest case) and in general the Magistracy profited way more then the concordat. Of course shraplen's leadership wasn't exactly a shining example on how to lead a nation either.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #538 on: 30 October 2021, 18:10:08 »
It could have been the newgrange, my wife has hidden my books and i still can't find them. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #539 on: 31 October 2021, 22:34:39 »
The TC got royally screwed joining the triple alliance, they were always the junior member and got less but pour blood into meat grinder.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"