Register Register

Author Topic: A 3135 Training Scenario Selection  (Read 317 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
A 3135 Training Scenario Selection
« on: 02 August 2021, 15:42:16 »
You are a mechwarrior academy instructor taking over some of the curriculum changes for 3135 as the Houses, Republic, and Mercs once again start expanding their forces.  You are crafting a scenario that will mix mechwarrior cadets as well as officers attending command school- basically a officer-promotable is getting to command a company of MW cadets they have never led, but being handed their dossiers and a selection of mechs.  The officer gets to assign which cadet is assigned to which mech, and will command the cadets in their simulators from a command/HQ vehicle (think Tribune or Praetorian) for the duration of the exercise- or until enemy forces destroy the HQ vehicle.

General mission has the mech cadets fielding a regular line company positioned in the mouth of a pass over some steep mountains where the main serviceable road goes up through the pass.  Before the pass is a general plain with light forest and the occasional elevation changes.  The pass itself has occasional mech-scale cover from rocky outcroppings or wooded spots, some of the woods continuing up onto the face of the steep mountains.  The plain has a river or sea forming skirting one edge.

The general explanation for the scenario is a quality vs quantity match up.  The mech company is the 'quality' side of the equation, since this scenario is designed to be more generic (like not being run by a specific academy let alone House or Merc unit) the mechs selected for the roster should not be any single House's cutting edge proprietary designs as of 3135 (IE, no Doloires- we are not talking about Republic elite at the time) but not some low-tier filler.  FREX-  I would avoid most of the TRO3050 upgrades since many were questionable but I would have no problem with a Warhammer 7A or 7M, even if they are long in the tooth by that point . . . a Warhammer 8D, 8R or 9S might be better choices while still being relatively generic IIRC.  The other limitation is against assault mechs . . . while it is a defensive mission, this is not a assault company- so at best it might have two assault mechs.  The rest of the mix being heavies, mediums or lights is up to your selection.

So . . . what mechs would you select to form a high-end but not exclusive 3135 line company?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: A 3135 Training Scenario Selection
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2021, 10:06:27 »
OK . . . I did not want contaminate what the offerings would be but here is some of what I was thinking . . .

Awesome 9M
Sunder Omni (A?)

Warhammer 9S
Marauder 9M2
Archer 4M2
Rifleman 7N

Centurion Omni (PR config)
Shadow Hawk 7H
Wolverine 9R
Black Hawk 2

Havoc P6
Koshi
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2021, 18:48:16 »
Not sure about suggesting any mech choices, but from that description, I now want to make that map!
« Last Edit: 03 August 2021, 19:01:24 by Simon Landmine »
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2021, 19:10:11 »
Still no mech suggestions, as it's not an era I'm that familiar with, but I did put this map together inspired by your description. Not sure if this is the kind of thing that you were thinking of, but here it is, anyway ...

"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."