Register Register

Author Topic: At the time of the Amaris Coup, How did the Rim Worlds Get So Strong?  (Read 2229 times)

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
According to the 1st book of the Star League Civil war the SLDF lost nearly a third of it's starting strength in the Periphery uprisng. Kerensky plugged some holes during the years long preparations in the then occupied Rim worlds Republic but the assault on Terra did destroy again a third of the remaining forces (the losses among the SLDf fleet were even higher thanks to the SDS drones and stations) All in all nearly 2/3 of the entire SLDF was destroyed during the entire war.

Then we’re looking at something a little more than the 10:1 or 28% option.  With the help of the Hegemony’s Castles Brian and SDS, the RWA inflicted more than 10 casualties on the SLDF for the loss of every RWA trooper.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
An important factor in the coup that I've learned from reading several Touring the Stars booklets is that huge swathes of the Terran Hegemony's population, including at least several planets and large portions of the ruling elite, actively supported Amaris. Richard Cameron was viewed as a ruler who had failed his people (he objectively kind of had - he'd gotten about a third of the army killed and Star League was arguably on the ropes before Amaris even pulled the trigger with the house lords alienated from Terra). The national myth of the Terran Hegemony is that McKenna was right to use military force to depose a government that failed its people. It's unsurprising that when Amaris did the same, it was well received.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
An important factor in the coup that I've learned from reading several Touring the Stars booklets is that huge swathes of the Terran Hegemony's population, including at least several planets and large portions of the ruling elite, actively supported Amaris. Richard Cameron was viewed as a ruler who had failed his people (he objectively kind of had - he'd gotten about a third of the army killed and Star League was arguably on the ropes before Amaris even pulled the trigger with the house lords alienated from Terra). The national myth of the Terran Hegemony is that McKenna was right to use military force to depose a government that failed its people. It's unsurprising that when Amaris did the same, it was well received.

Not sure if one can say the SLDF was on the ropes at the time of the 2nd Peripohery uprising. While they had to learn to fight "dirty" again as their opponents didn't care about the Ares convention the Periphery armies managed to hold out despite heavy losses and even several defections. Kerensky poured several armies into the Periphery (and also to note he did that without official orders from Richard Cameron (his opnly orders were "keep the peace"). The only thing Richard did was provide him reinforcements by stripping the Hegemony of most defenders while the SLDF slowly but surely retook the Periphery nations.

But you are right the Hegemony saw the death of Richard as a sign of hope as for one Amaris was basically the Director General in all but name and also seemed to be more competent then Richard. Most of them didn't realize that their woes were all machinations from amaris who had influenced Richard to be a petty dictator and also staged several terrorism attacks in the Hegemony to undermine the Hegemony goverment and also eliminate officials and officers in order to move in his own lackeyes.

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
Not sure if one can say the SLDF was on the ropes at the time of the 2nd Peripohery uprising.

It's not that the SLDF was defeated (though they'd taken horrific casualties), it was that the house lords were openly signaling that they didn't believe in Star League anymore. They'd caused a war by overtaxing the Periphery (and they knew it too - Ewan Marik even went so far as to claim that it would cause an uprising as a reason to vote for the tax increase in the first place, since it would create an opportunity for his forces to get some combat experience). They'd taken advantage of the regency to start expanding their forces, and when Richard tried to get them to stop (and disarm completely, because he was kind of dumb) they'd unanimously told him that no, they won't disarm, and if he tries to force them it'll mean war. Before the Periphery rose up, it was a common belief in the SLDF that their next war would be against the Draconis Combine... and that it would come in about 10 years.

So the average member of the Hegemony had real reasons to think that Richard Cameron was rushing headlong into disaster, and that Amaris stepping in had saved the Star League. Until of course Kerensky refused to bend the knee, and the civil war they were hoping Amaris had saved them from arrived anyway. That's when planets like Inglesmond got cold feet about their prior support for the usurper.

Register