Register Register

Author Topic: Bachelor rulers, or why no one is marrying?  (Read 12117 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Bachelor rulers, or why no one is marrying?
« Reply #180 on: 16 August 2022, 09:51:36 »
Actually pretty sure Nissa or Simone were at his funeral with her daughters.
That could well be, I haven’t read Sword of Sedition since 2005.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #181 on: 16 August 2022, 20:14:34 »
Oh yeah, my point was you could have had Vic's grand-daughters in play.

BUT . . . Victor's grandchildren having perhaps fled the fall of the Republic, they would be useful pawns for anyone wanting to play games with . . . at least two thrones, three for Isis descendants.  One of them turning up in the League when/if Nikol faces a question of confidence- can the new parliament call a vote of no confidence?- would allow someone to stir the pot.

Kitsunes kids could play a part in the Draconis Combine splintering because they can be considered direct heirs to the throne.  If When the Black Dragon finally starts to lose territory it can be an opportunity for them to dethrone the pretenders to the throne (not necessarily Yori)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #182 on: 16 August 2022, 21:37:44 »
Kitsunes kids could play a part in the Draconis Combine splintering because they can be considered direct heirs to the throne.  If When the Black Dragon finally starts to lose territory it can be an opportunity for them to dethrone the pretenders to the throne (not necessarily Yori)
Now that I think about it, you're totally right: my first instinct was "victor gave up his claim to the throne for himself and his kids in perpetuity" but Victor had no CLAIM to the DC throne, so, therefor, his vow has no meaning to Kitsune and his kids.

wow.  PLOT TWIST. :-) hahaha

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #183 on: 16 August 2022, 21:46:44 »
Same deal for the League, did Isis make such a declaration for her descendants?

Victor's grandkids- Omi & Isis descendants- have the ability to destabilize the the respective Houses . . . and while Victor may have said what he said, it would not stop a claim against a FedCom throne either.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #184 on: 16 August 2022, 22:17:39 »
Plus, in the FS, DC, or FWL, Victor’s descendant would restore a stronger claimant to the throne: Kitsune’s kids descend from Theodore’s legitimate daughter, where Yori descens from Franklin Sakamoto, a claimant to the FS throne descends from Hanse, where Julian comes from a cadet branch, and a Marik claimant descends from Thomas Marik uh, err, Janos Marik.  Yeah, that’s the ticket, good old Janos (at any rate a stronger blood claim than Nikol being granddaughter of Thomas Halas/adopted by Thaddeus Marik).  Trillian is a descendant of Melissa S-D, so Victor’s forsaken claim probably doesn’t help there.

I’d still think that a Victor-descendant marrying the ruler is a better option than coup-and-replace in any case though; it’s less disruptive, brings the more direct claim back in via children, and allows the children to avoid Victor’s (or Isis’) forsworn claim because they also have the other parent (one might compare Henry VII and Elizabeth of York uniting the Lancastrian and Yorkist claims at the end of the War of the Roses).  Best of both worlds!
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #185 on: 16 August 2022, 23:56:31 »
I’d still think that a Victor-descendant marrying the ruler is a better option than coup-and-replace in any case though; it’s less disruptive, brings the more direct claim back in via children, and allows the children to avoid Victor’s (or Isis’) forsworn claim because they also have the other parent (one might compare Henry VII and Elizabeth of York uniting the Lancastrian and Yorkist claims at the end of the War of the Roses).  Best of both worlds!

Lol, stole my example.  Plenty of history for the writers to mine about how the monarchy's dynastic politics plays out . . . you do not have to create new stories, just look to what people did in the past as plots.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #186 on: 17 August 2022, 06:24:54 »
Same deal for the League, did Isis make such a declaration for her descendants?

Victor's grandkids- Omi & Isis descendants- have the ability to destabilize the the respective Houses . . . and while Victor may have said what he said, it would not stop a claim against a FedCom throne either.

I would assume throwing their lot with the Republic (Kitsune became a knight and the Steiner-Davion-Mariks became Republic officers / officials) would make them unpalpatable with the general pupblic of said states. In FM 3067 in the section of the Free worlds League it also contained notes from Kernoff and he stated that Isis was basically "tainted" by her affairs with Sun Tzu and Victor and would therefore not play a role in a possible struggle for the Captain-General position. Of course that was WAAAYY before the Dark Age and now the IlClan period so maybe most people have forgotten. And who knows maybe dropping the other family names for just Marik or Kurita might do the trick

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #187 on: 17 August 2022, 09:03:16 »
The Republic also disappearing off the map would help their cases.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Register