Register Register

Author Topic: Completed work on a two hour Age of War history/lore video  (Read 608 times)

Sven van der Plank

• Recruit
Hello guys,

Long time BattleTech fan but first time posting on the forums here.

Towards the end of last year I started working on a series of History/Lore videos focused around the early part of the BT canon. So far I've written/spoken about the first 500-600 years, stretching from the Deimos Project to the founding of the Star League in 2571.

A big part of the project was to create a series of maps to go along with it in order to better visualise the expanding/changing borders through the ages and help put into context those early pages of the Housebook histories.

Link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/PuHnKQXHTRQ

I'm planning to do more in the near future. Spent the last three months working on a Reunification War series that I've just finished recording and creating all the maps for. Clocking in at around three hours so it'll be quite the epic.

I hope you guys find it interesting/enjoyable. Thought it was about time I shared this somewhere other than just the BT subreddit. Happy to answer any questions. I'd welcome any feedback too for making future videos more engaging.

Apologies if this is the wrong area of the forum for such a post. Not even sure the spam filter will allow new accounts to share links.

Thanks

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
Re: Completed work on a two hour Age of War history/lore video
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2022, 04:27:05 »
I've only watched snippets as yet but well done :thumbsup:

From what I've seen so far this is a very good overview of early BattleTech history. Looking forward to watching it in full.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"They do not understand that defacing or destroying a monument does not change history. In fact, it often ends up reinforcing that history. Rewriting the history books to impose a new social order rarely works in the long term."
Baldur/Trent, Forever Faithful

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2022, 01:23:58 »
I have watched the individual videos MANY times, and I was overjoyed when I saw you stitched the whole thing together.

Cannot wait to see you tackle the Reunification War as I think it is also an overlooked Era that is important because it the birth of both the Star League and the Periphery.

One topic I have always wanted to see was an effort to answer "What happened to the Aurigan Coalition?"(along with other questions like why did none of the Successor States officially recognize them?)

If you want to stick with lore, you do an Expanded version of your 3025 video, where you go over where each faction is as of January 3025.

I also thought of a family tree/succession video done in the style of the Youtuber "Useful Charts"

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2022, 04:33:51 »
I really liked the video though I have a question: when the Western Alliance formed according to the lore it contained the ECM (European Common market), Nato and the Americanas. Which part of the American continent is meant here? North America (so in essence Canada, USA and Mexico)? Or also Middle America and the South American continet?

Sven van der Plank

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2022, 07:02:14 »
I really liked the video though I have a question: when the Western Alliance formed according to the lore it contained the ECM (European Common market), Nato and the Americanas. Which part of the American continent is meant here? North America (so in essence Canada, USA and Mexico)? Or also Middle America and the South American continet?

If I'm remembering correctly it first included the European powers and they had to threaten economic exclusion towards the US before they joined. I imagine Canada (and most other Commonwealth countries) joined around that time too. Don't recall any mention of Mexico. Central and Southern probably weren't a part of it until it became the Terran Alliance.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2022, 09:03:53 »
If I'm remembering correctly it first included the European powers and they had to threaten economic exclusion towards the US before they joined. I imagine Canada (and most other Commonwealth countries) joined around that time too. Don't recall any mention of Mexico. Central and Southern probably weren't a part of it until it became the Terran Alliance.
Yeah I remember the fact that the USA had to be "forced" into the Alliance though  there was also the note that econoimic sanctions would have been counterproductive as the US was an economic powerhouse. Though when I read Americanas I imagined it meant both American continents

Known Glitch

• Sergeant
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2022, 18:47:08 »
1 Hour 25 min in before I had to go to work but very nicely done.  Great narration and use of the graphics, the map work especially!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2022, 17:32:29 »
I've have every episode mirrored through the BattleTech Fanon Wiki for people find if they need quick look.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki