Register Register

Author Topic: ComStar Level-III Composition (Tukayyid)  (Read 911 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: ComStar Level-III Composition (Tukayyid)
« Reply #30 on: 14 January 2022, 13:42:13 »
I saw a comment about IS Standard BA earlier . . . I would suggest Nighthawk or Tornado, though I do not know the later intro date as well it came from SL research and the Nighthawk suits ComStar inherited.  The latest Tukayyid fiction had them using PALs, which both qualify as, to lift/operate their artillery so it would definitely not be a stretch that ComStar knew how to operate them.  The big question would be the division's rating high enough to get them some of that limited asset . . . though it could be taken the other way- hey we cannot increase your mech/armor numbers, but here is something to boost your infantry's combat power.

As far as names . . . some ComStar divisions changed their names after Tukayyid to reflect their actions on the planet.  Something basically along the lines of, 'we beat them.'
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

cmerwin

• Private
  • Star Commander Poindexter
« Reply #31 on: 14 January 2022, 14:45:01 »
See the attached text. The numbers are Alpha Strike PVs. As you can see, the Command and Striker Level IIs are the ComStar force packs re-arranged. Then there's the Assault and Battle Level IIs of armoured vehicles, a Scout level II of vehicles (including the Hi-Scouts and all their drones!), and a Support Level II of infantry including some BA. I'm playing it as sort of tactically less flexible/innovative.

Ahhh, these are awesome! Thanks!
Nova Cats - True to General Kerensky's Vision!
Straight ahead, its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

ocherstone

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 14 January 2022, 17:38:02 »
Battle of Tukayyid gives you Level III-composition. Eta and Theta are the same. I don't know if that's fixed in a new revision or errata.

Name Mech Vehicle Infantry Aero
Alpha 28 1 1 6
Beta 27 1 2 6
Gamma 26 1 3 6
Delta 25 2 3 6
Epsilon 24 2 4 6
Zeta 23 2 5 6
Eta 21 3 6 6
Theta 21 3 6 6
Iota 19 4 7 6
Kappa 18 4 8 6
Lambda 17 4 9 6
Mu 16 5 9 6
Nu 15 5 10 6
Xi 14 5 11 6
Omicron 12 6 12 6
Pi 11 6 13 6
Rho 10 7 13 6
Sigma 9 7 14 6
Tau 8 7 15 6
Upsilon 7 8 15 6
Phi 6 8 16 6
Chi 5 8 17 6
Psi 4 9 17 6
Omega 3 9 18 6

I agree that Infantry Carriers (making Mounted Infantry, not Mechanized or Motorized, IMO) are free. Anything with more than +1 in a short bracket in Alpha Strike costs a vehicle slot.

In my custom ComStar unit, I also made up the below for Level II designations and quick comments.  Though BoT also lays out 6 options for Level IIs, I haven't decided if I like that or not. 2M2V2I and 1M3V2I are the only non-pure options it gives. The bolded below are found in canon. So, really It's Alpha, Iota, Kappa, Lamda, Nu (my label, it's not labeled that I can see), Pi, Rho under my system are the only one's available. Beta-Zeta are laid out in Tukayyid Sourcebook, Fall of Terra, Dragon Roars, or Twilight of the Clans, but they're WAY off and I ignore them.

M-'Mech V-Vehicle I-Infantry A-Aerospace

The ideal of the Alpha-II unit is the poster child of ComGuard image.  The visual of sparkling white BattleMechs beating back uncivilized marauders has been a holovid icon of ComStar recruiting since the unveiling of the ComGuard.  The reality is somewhat less glamorous, though none can argue with the effectiveness of Star League vintage ‘Mechs and immaculate technical prowess.
Alpha – 6M

Beta through Zeta mixed Level IIs contain decreasing numbers of ‘Mechs while increasing number of vehicles.  These Level IIs are routinely used in offensive missions, usually with complementing vehicle and ‘Mech weights, armaments, and/or speeds.
Beta – 5M1V
Gamma – 4M2V
Delta – 3M3V
Epsilon – 2M4V
Zeta – 1M5V

Eta is the standard designation for Infantry-fielding light combined arms Level IIs.  The infantry is APC or IFV mounted to keep up with the BattleMechs.  Eta Level IIs have increased in number with the proliferation of Battle Armor, which increases the lethality of the unit.
Eta - 4M1V1I 3M2V1I

Low numbers of BattleMechs in Theta-IIs deceive many, but ComStar’s backbone is combined arms, and Theta is the most publicly visible mixed designation.  With enough vehicles to mount all infantry, Theta-IIs are the workhorse of any ComStar division and are usually enough to respond to most situations.
Theta - 2M3V1I 1M4V1I

The Iota-II is the preferred deployment to hotspots that do not require or cannot sustain ‘Mech deployment.  On many backwater B or C-level planets they are the only offensively capable Level IIs. Often, the vehicles are VTOL or hovertank equipped, but heavy vehicle Iotas are not uncommon. Iota-II urban and defensive abilities are noteworthy, though they lack some of the flexibility of the higher Level IIs, due to the lack of ‘Mechs.
Iota –5V1I 4V2I

Kappa Level IIs are the most common combined arms urban fighting IIs and the preferred garrison Level IIs for HPGs on heavily urban planets that have a high chance of ‘Mech combat.  The heavier and slower speed anti-‘Mech trained infantry often engage in pacification or riot control duties. Most non-MechWarrior Precentors’ command IIs are Kappa designated.
Kappa –3M1V2I

Lambda Level IIs are all-vehicle Level IIs.  Their missions vary as much as BattleMech Alpha-IIs; they support Alpha-IIs as easily and have as varied a combat profile as their ‘Mech brothers.
Lambda – 6V

The weights of Mu-IIs Mech’s tend to be lighter to better support the infantry which are often quick moving for independent use without vehicle support.  These units are often used in disaster relief and rough terrain in which most vehicles are ill-suited. Precentor “bodyguard” units are usually Mu, and the tau-Is motorized or mechanized to protect static areas.
Mu –5M1I 4M2I 3M3I

Nu-IIs are the lowest Demi-Company designation that include the IFV mounted infantry.  Nu-IIs are usually light weight raiding teams and contain fast ‘Mechs and VTOL or hovercraft.  Their tau infantry Level Is historically have not seen heavy combat, though the increased availability in Battle Armor has improved the offensive capability of Nu-IIs.
Nu – 2M2V2I 1M3V2I

Static and defense-minded, field-artillery pieces are common in Xi-IIs.  The Battle of Tukayyid saw many Xi-IIs be dismissed by the Clans with many claiming some of the battle’s highest kill/loss ratios in the opening of the campaign.  When overrun in the waning later days and low on ammunition, though, Xi-IIs took higher than average casualties, and many were disbanded.
Xi- 2M1V3I 1M2V3I 3V3I

Omicron-IIs lack the IFV vehicle support to move their infantry components quickly, and so rely on smaller or weaker personal vehicles. Omicron garrison Levels IIs are found on low priority or mostly barren worlds that still see occasional bandit raids and require an attacker to invade a limited area. Many Mechwarrior or vehicle Precentor’s command staff-IIs are Omicron designated. Field artillery pieces with integrated spotter or bodyguard units are commonly Omicron-IIs.
Omicron 2M4I 2V4I 1M1V4I 1M5I 1V5I

The all-aerospace Pi-IIs are rarer in planet-bound Level IIIs but are commonly found defending interstellar traffic and the Order’s spaceships.  The lack of “boots-on-the-ground “integration hampers their use in offensive combat, but the arrival of Pi-IIs has ended many a planetary raid before they began as they swat enemy DropShips from the sky.
Pi – 6A

All infantry Rho-IIs are varied in their composition but are normally support for heavier combat machine possessing Level IIs.  Rho IIs are the least offensively capable pure-Level IIs, and most do not fire their weapons in anger in their existence.  Their presence on many worlds goes unnoticed, and most support personnel are grouped into Rho-IIs for administrative use.
Rho – 6I

Sub-Sigma IIs are often temporary assignments.  The logistics of keeping Aerospace Level Is attached at such a low number is often prohibitive, even for ComStar.  When used, though, the Aerospace components are invaluable as scout or ground support.

Sigma is the first of Aerospace and vehicle or ‘Mech integrated Level IIs.  The Aerospace fighters support offensive operations of the four ground-combat elements and are usually light weight, but heavy or assault Sigma-IIs are not unknown.
Sigma - 4M2A 3M1V2A 2M2V2A 1M3V2A 4V2A

Tau -IIs are a catchall for Level IIs than claim an aerospace element and one infantry Level I.  Light ‘Mechs and vehicles predominate, and Tau-II units are commonly used as spotters for other artillery equipped Level IIs, but Tau-IIs can and often do direct close air support of their heavy Aerospace fighters. Their mounted infantry abilities allow them to move quickly against aggressors.
Tau - 2M1V2A1I 2V2A2I 1M2V2A1I 3V2A1I

Upsilon-IIs function similarly to Tau- IIs, but lack combat vehicle-mounted infantry, and so use smaller and/or slower motorized/mechanized vehicles.  They are especially noted for their urban combat abilities, and HPG compound defenses.
Upsilon - 3M2A1I 2M2A2I 1M1V2A2I 1M2A3I 1V2A3I 

Aerospace-heavy Phi-IIs perform limited offensive missions on planets that require a large Aerospace presence.   They vary in size and speed but have occasionally been used as support for offensive campaigns and planet defense.
Phi - 2M4A 2V4A 1M1V4A

Psi and Chi IIs are somewhat interchangeable but are often found in very different circumstances. Chi-IIs are found as command units on many HPG A worlds, often as a newly promoted Precentor’s command/honor guard Level II.  The Aerospace fighters are usually heavy machines. Psi Level IIs are the preferred Space/Marine Level IIs.  Psi Level IIs train in capturing enemy DropShips, JumpShips and Space Stations, and are elite defenders of the Order’s space-bound fleet. 
Chi - 2A4I
Psi - 4A2I

Omega-IIs are normally used in clandestine, high-risk, or ROM sanctioned missions behind enemy lines.  Omega-IIs usually contain the fastest machines available to the ComGuards, with advanced electronics and high-flying light fighters with spying capabilities.  The ability to quickly and quietly insert or extract the forward infantry elements necessitates light ‘Mech, VTOL, or quick hovercraft.
Omega - 1M4A1I 1V4A1I 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 14 January 2022, 18:05:09 »
I love'm, ocherstone! Definitely stealing.

I can see variations like Light & Heavy - Lambda Heavy gives quite a different expectation than Lambda Light. They might be unofficial monikers, used by the troops but not listed in the TOE.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cmerwin

• Private
  • Star Commander Poindexter
« Reply #34 on: 14 January 2022, 23:38:59 »
Battle of Tukayyid gives you Level III-composition. Eta and Theta are the same. I don't know if that's fixed in a new revision or errata.

Alpha 28 1 1 6
Beta 27 1 2 6
Gamma 26 1 3 6
Delta 25 2 3 6
Epsilon 24 2 4 6
Zeta 23 2 5 6
Eta 21 3 6 6
Theta 21 3 6 6
Iota 19 4 7 6
Kappa 18 4 8 6
Lambda 17 4 9 6
Mu 16 5 9 6
Nu 15 5 10 6
Xi 14 5 11 6
Omicron 12 6 12 6
Pi 11 6 13 6
Rho 10 7 13 6
Sigma 9 7 14 6
Tau 8 7 15 6
Upsilon 7 8 15 6
Phi 6 8 16 6
Chi 5 8 17 6
Psi 4 9 17 6
Omega 3 9 18 6

I agree that Infantry Carriers (making Mounted Infantry, not Mechanized or Motorized, IMO) are free. Anything with more than +1 in a short bracket in Alpha Strike costs a vehicle slot.

In my custom ComStar unit, I also made up the below for Level II designations and quick comments.  Though BoT also lays out 6 options for Level IIs, I haven't decided if I like that or not. 2M2V2I and 1M3V2I are the only non-pure options it gives. The bolded below are found in canon. So, really It's Alpha, Iota, Kappa, Lamda, Nu (my label, it's not labeled that I can see), Pi, Rho under my system are the only one's available. Beta-Zeta are laid out in Tukayyid Sourcebook, Fall of Terra, Dragon Roars, or Twilight of the Clans, but they're WAY off and I ignore them.

M-'Mech V-Vehicle I-Infantry A-Aerospace

The ideal of the Alpha-II unit is the poster child of ComGuard image.  The visual of sparkling white BattleMechs beating back uncivilized marauders has been a holovid icon of ComStar recruiting since the unveiling of the ComGuard.  The reality is somewhat less glamorous, though none can argue with the effectiveness of Star League vintage ‘Mechs and immaculate technical prowess.
Alpha – 6M

Beta through Zeta mixed Level IIs contain decreasing numbers of ‘Mechs while increasing number of vehicles.  These Level IIs are routinely used in offensive missions, usually with complementing vehicle and ‘Mech weights, armaments, and/or speeds.
Beta – 5M1V
Gamma – 4M2V
Delta – 3M3V
Epsilon – 2M4V
Zeta – 1M5V

Eta is the standard designation for Infantry-fielding light combined arms Level IIs.  The infantry is APC or IFV mounted to keep up with the BattleMechs.  Eta Level IIs have increased in number with the proliferation of Battle Armor, which increases the lethality of the unit.
Eta - 4M1V1I 3M2V1I

Low numbers of BattleMechs in Theta-IIs deceive many, but ComStar’s backbone is combined arms, and Theta is the most publicly visible mixed designation.  With enough vehicles to mount all infantry, Theta-IIs are the workhorse of any ComStar division and are usually enough to respond to most situations.
Theta - 2M3V1I 1M4V1I

The Iota-II is the preferred deployment to hotspots that do not require or cannot sustain ‘Mech deployment.  On many backwater B or C-level planets they are the only offensively capable Level IIs. Often, the vehicles are VTOL or hovertank equipped, but heavy vehicle Iotas are not uncommon. Iota-II urban and defensive abilities are noteworthy, though they lack some of the flexibility of the higher Level IIs, due to the lack of ‘Mechs.
Iota –5V1I 4V2I

Kappa Level IIs are the most common combined arms urban fighting IIs and the preferred garrison Level IIs for HPGs on heavily urban planets that have a high chance of ‘Mech combat.  The heavier and slower speed anti-‘Mech trained infantry often engage in pacification or riot control duties. Most non-MechWarrior Precentors’ command IIs are Kappa designated.
Kappa –3M1V2I

Lambda Level IIs are all-vehicle Level IIs.  Their missions vary as much as BattleMech Alpha-IIs; they support Alpha-IIs as easily and have as varied a combat profile as their ‘Mech brothers.
Lambda – 6V

The weights of Mu-IIs Mech’s tend to be lighter to better support the infantry which are often quick moving for independent use without vehicle support.  These units are often used in disaster relief and rough terrain in which most vehicles are ill-suited. Precentor “bodyguard” units are usually Mu, and the tau-Is motorized or mechanized to protect static areas.
Mu –5M1I 4M2I 3M3I

Nu-IIs are the lowest Demi-Company designation that include the IFV mounted infantry.  Nu-IIs are usually light weight raiding teams and contain fast ‘Mechs and VTOL or hovercraft.  Their tau infantry Level Is historically have not seen heavy combat, though the increased availability in Battle Armor has improved the offensive capability of Nu-IIs.
Nu – 2M2V2I 1M3V2I

Static and defense-minded, field-artillery pieces are common in Xi-IIs.  The Battle of Tukayyid saw many Xi-IIs be dismissed by the Clans with many claiming some of the battle’s highest kill/loss ratios in the opening of the campaign.  When overrun in the waning later days and low on ammunition, though, Xi-IIs took higher than average casualties, and many were disbanded.
Xi- 2M1V3I 1M2V3I 3V3I

Omicron-IIs lack the IFV vehicle support to move their infantry components quickly, and so rely on smaller or weaker personal vehicles. Omicron garrison Levels IIs are found on low priority or mostly barren worlds that still see occasional bandit raids and require an attacker to invade a limited area. Many Mechwarrior or vehicle Precentor’s command staff-IIs are Omicron designated. Field artillery pieces with integrated spotter or bodyguard units are commonly Omicron-IIs.
Omicron 2M4I 2V4I 1M1V4I 1M5I 1V5I

The all-aerospace Pi-IIs are rarer in planet-bound Level IIIs but are commonly found defending interstellar traffic and the Order’s spaceships.  The lack of “boots-on-the-ground “integration hampers their use in offensive combat, but the arrival of Pi-IIs has ended many a planetary raid before they began as they swat enemy DropShips from the sky.
Pi – 6A

All infantry Rho-IIs are varied in their composition but are normally support for heavier combat machine possessing Level IIs.  Rho IIs are the least offensively capable pure-Level IIs, and most do not fire their weapons in anger in their existence.  Their presence on many worlds goes unnoticed, and most support personnel are grouped into Rho-IIs for administrative use.
Rho – 6I

Sub-Sigma IIs are often temporary assignments.  The logistics of keeping Aerospace Level Is attached at such a low number is often prohibitive, even for ComStar.  When used, though, the Aerospace components are invaluable as scout or ground support.

Sigma is the first of Aerospace and vehicle or ‘Mech integrated Level IIs.  The Aerospace fighters support offensive operations of the four ground-combat elements and are usually light weight, but heavy or assault Sigma-IIs are not unknown.
Sigma - 4M2A 3M1V2A 2M2V2A 1M3V2A 4V2A

Tau -IIs are a catchall for Level IIs than claim an aerospace element and one infantry Level I.  Light ‘Mechs and vehicles predominate, and Tau-II units are commonly used as spotters for other artillery equipped Level IIs, but Tau-IIs can and often do direct close air support of their heavy Aerospace fighters. Their mounted infantry abilities allow them to move quickly against aggressors.
Tau - 2M1V2A1I 2V2A2I 1M2V2A1I 3V2A1I

Upsilon-IIs function similarly to Tau- IIs, but lack combat vehicle-mounted infantry, and so use smaller and/or slower motorized/mechanized vehicles.  They are especially noted for their urban combat abilities, and HPG compound defenses.
Upsilon - 3M2A1I 2M2A2I 1M1V2A2I 1M2A3I 1V2A3I 

Aerospace-heavy Phi-IIs perform limited offensive missions on planets that require a large Aerospace presence.   They vary in size and speed but have occasionally been used as support for offensive campaigns and planet defense.
Phi - 2M4A 2V4A 1M1V4A

Psi and Chi IIs are somewhat interchangeable but are often found in very different circumstances. Chi-IIs are found as command units on many HPG A worlds, often as a newly promoted Precentor’s command/honor guard Level II.  The Aerospace fighters are usually heavy machines. Psi Level IIs are the preferred Space/Marine Level IIs.  Psi Level IIs train in capturing enemy DropShips, JumpShips and Space Stations, and are elite defenders of the Order’s space-bound fleet. 
Chi - 2A4I
Psi - 4A2I

Omega-IIs are normally used in clandestine, high-risk, or ROM sanctioned missions behind enemy lines.  Omega-IIs usually contain the fastest machines available to the ComGuards, with advanced electronics and high-flying light fighters with spying capabilities.  The ability to quickly and quietly insert or extract the forward infantry elements necessitates light ‘Mech, VTOL, or quick hovercraft.
Omega - 1M4A1I 1V4A1I

This is amazing!
Nova Cats - True to General Kerensky's Vision!
Straight ahead, its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #35 on: 15 January 2022, 14:37:48 »
I don't know if that's fixed in a new revision or errata.

Eta 21 3 6 6
Theta 21 3 6 6
Iota 19 4 7 6

Theta averages 19.83 mechs & 3.17 Tanks per Battalion based on the Division #s

I'd house rule Theta to be 20+4+6+6

Better fits with the Division levels and gives you a "20" slot that otherwise doesn't exist based above battalion list.

I'm betting its a typo/copy/paste issue, or someone in design just added that extra mech randomly but it should have gone to tanks.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 15 January 2022, 14:45:34 »
2M2V2I and 1M3V2I are the only non-pure options it gives. 
This is really odd to me.
Given the low # of vehicles available to the CG having these as being fairly vehicle heavy is just odd.
I guess its useful for Alpha/Top end formations that have even less than a single L2 of vehicles.

This is my wheelhouse for making a C* formation.  Especially Omicron

Nu 15 5 10 6
Xi 14 5 11 6
Omicron 12 6 12 6
Pi 11 6 13 6
Rho 10 7 13 6
Sigma 9 7 14 6

I like essentially having a "Combined Arms Battalion built around a "Mech Company"
It's a solid set up for a house campaign with small battles around similar sized Clan & House formations.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 January 2022, 15:13:24 »
Though BoT also lays out 6 options for Level IIs

2M2V2I and 1M3V2I are the only non-pure options it gives.

Alpha   6M

Beta   –   5M1V
Gamma   –   4M2V
Delta   –   3M3V
Epsilon   –   2M4V
Zeta   –   1M5V

Iota      4V 2I
Kappa      Kappa – 3M 1V 2I

Lamda      6V
Nu      2M 2V 2I   -   1M 3V 2I
Pi      6A
Rho      6I

Question.
So your saying BOT gives you 6 of the above.
Beta-Zeta are from Scenario books in 3057+ eras.
The 2 Mixed options you listed are both in NU.
Soooo.  Where is that Iota option from?

I was toying with the idea of creating a small RAT for C* units w/o using the Greek designator but just needing a random OP4

L-II  D6  #1
1-4 = Pure
5-6 = Mixed

D6  #2A  (Pure)
1-2  Alpha  (M6)
3   Lambda  (V6)
4-5   Rho  (I6)
6    Pi  (A6)

D6  #2B   (Mixed)

1   3M 1V 2I
2   2M 2V 2I
3   1M 3V 2I
4   2M,  4I     (Garrison w/ Mech Backup, No/Few  APCs)
5   2M,  2I,  2A    (SpecOps/Recon  w/ 2 APCs)
6   4M,  2A      (Leopard DS Detachment for 0G Ops)

1st 3 above are your mentioned options, & then 3 more I made up for the heavy amounts of mechs & infantry in the CG & to have some smaller fighter allotments.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2022, 00:59:27 by Hellraiser »

ocherstone

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 15 January 2022, 16:44:52 »
Jeez, Hellraiser, consolidate! :)

Theta averages 19.83 mechs & 3.17 Tanks per Battalion based on the Division #s

I'd house rule Theta to be 20+4+6+6

That's what I would do, also. Not worth MUCH of a process, but still, I'm with you.

2M2V2I and 1M3V2I

This is really odd to me.
Given the low # of vehicles available to the CG having these as being fairly vehicle heavy is just odd.
I guess its useful for Alpha/Top end formations that have even less than a single L2 of vehicles.

They both seem defensive. I don't know how you make those work in a mobile situation. And, as I've made obvious, I like the options to make things fit a vision. Only having the few options just pigeonholes everyone.

That Iota is from Fall of Terra, First Scenario, Primus's bodyguard unit (?).  I'd say they're the Able/Bravo Divisions that even Focht wouldn't pull for Tukayyid. And no wonder.

Great Resistance II-iota
2 Maxims
Condor
Drillson
Jump Infantry-Rifle
Jump Infantry-Laser

They're all sorts of useless for an actual fight.

All canon are below. I have thought about going back, really cutting down everything through "old gives way to new" rule, but I just went with what felt good to me. I have some time this week, I just may. Problem is, Fall of Terra has no consistency. They blatantly contradict.

The parenthesis mean all appear for that designation eventually.
Alpha – 6M
Gamma – (1M 4V) (3M 3I) (2M 4V)
Delta – (4M 2V) (2M 4I)
Epsilon – 4M 2I
Iota –(4V 2I) (2V 4I)
Kappa - 3M 1V 1I (sic, it's short)
Lambda – 6V
Mu –(4V 2I) (4M 2V)
Nu – (2M2V2I) (1M3V2I)
Pi – (6A) (4V 2I)
Rho – 6I

You try making sense of that. Damn you, FASA. I eventually went with decreasing offensive capability, working with canon when at all possible.

1st 3 above are your mentioned options...

I hate having an entire Level II given to Aero, and why I came up with the Sub-sigmas. Gives some flavor and breaks up monotony. I like that second grouping.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 18:22:17 by ocherstone »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #39 on: 15 January 2022, 16:59:15 »
this thread has me now wondering how i'll do my comstar force. i got the two kickstarter sets so they'll be the core of it. most of my AS forces have been dark age centric, but i may do my kickstarter figures as invasion era, with the option of just dropping them into later eras. (a comstar force could easily double as a WoB one in the Jihad, or a Blessed Order secret army one in dark ages)

(given i build around 5000pv forces i'd guess i'd be having only 1/3 or 1/2 of a LVIII though. 12 mechs and a smattering a vehicles and Infantry)

« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 17:00:52 by glitterboy2098 »

ocherstone

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 15 January 2022, 18:48:03 »
this thread has me now wondering how i'll do my comstar force. i got the two kickstarter sets so they'll be the core of it. most of my AS forces have been dark age centric, but i may do my kickstarter figures as invasion era, with the option of just dropping them into later eras. (a comstar force could easily double as a WoB one in the Jihad, or a Blessed Order secret army one in dark ages)

(given i build around 5000pv forces i'd guess i'd be having only 1/3 or 1/2 of a LVIII though. 12 mechs and a smattering a vehicles and Infantry)

For 5000, I think 12-14 is max. I think you're shooting for a medium average weight, One Level II "Calvary Striker" if you will, the other defensive. Maybe throw another as mixed with Aero, that way if you don't play Aero, they can be handwaved away.

Just from above:
Yeah, according to Sarna, the 9th Division was a IV-mu in 3050. I haven't found out _where_ that is listed in sourcebooks, but apparently, between 3050 and 3053 (_maybe probably_ because of Tukayyid) it was downgraded to a a IV-pi

(EDIT: and my honest apologies, I didn't notice this until today and I am still not convinced it is cannon).

That's from 20 Year Update, I can almost guarantee.

So just out of curiosity, what's your Tukayyid era Level-III composition look like? I'd love to get ideas.

Here's the link to my ComStar unit I played with. I don't know how clean or updated it is to now, but is enough of a primer if you like. Also as an attachment is after I grouped all Aero into pure Level IIs. Again, I'm not sure I like it.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/comguard-division-at-tukayyid/msg1575192/#msg1575192
« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 19:17:15 by ocherstone »

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 15 January 2022, 23:38:40 »
Jeez, Hellraiser, consolidate! :) 
Well your post was so long I had to respond to pieces  :)

Only having the few options just pigeonholes everyone.
Agreed but your limited to X-words/pages for RATs in a sourcebook

I hate having an entire Level II given to Aero, and why I came up with the Sub-sigmas. Gives some flavor and breaks up monotony. I like that second grouping.
Logistically its a good plan, and 6 fighters is a nice squadron size.
Good for L-III units that are deployed near each other or where the ASF only need to be in 1 location.

But yeah, I can see the need for some 2 ship deployments.

This is where the idea of that 39 being an "Average" of 36 v/s 42 is a fun idea that someone came up with that I like.
Its not a static 39, its an average, so every other division is 36 or 42.
Especially for the 42s, I can see a lot of 2 fighter deployments for units that are really disbursed around in L2 allotments.

I had another idea for your typical spread out division on a dozen worlds that is mostly "garrison" at HPGs,  I'd like to see a L-II that starts with a couple platoons of Infantry & then from there have a random roll for the last 4 in groups of 2

D6
1 - 2 Fighters
2 - 2 Infantry*
3 - 2 Mechs
4 - Infantry / Mech
5 - Infantry / Vehicle
6 - Mech / Vehicle
* After 3053 this Infantry has 50% chance of being Battle Armor.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2022, 01:00:11 by Hellraiser »

ocherstone

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 16 January 2022, 00:23:14 »
This is where the idea of that 39 being an "Average" of 36 v/s 42 is a fun idea that someone came up with that I like.
Its not a static 39, its an average, so every other division is 36 or 42.
Especially for the 42s, I can see a lot of 2 fighter deployments for units that are really disbursed around in L2 allotments.

I prefer a Level III of fighters, then half of the Level IVs having 6 fighters sprinkled around, integrated into a Level II here and there. But I agree, the 39 is off-putting, and I've done similar. Overall, I like the potential with the groupings you've come up with.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 16 January 2022, 01:04:00 »
I prefer a Level III of fighters

In theory, that many fighters shouldn't exist together given that all L3's are combined arms.
But I could see a Warship or a Naval Taskforce being assigned a particularly strong detachment of them (18-30) with the remaining units being XenoInfantry/Marines.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #44 on: 16 January 2022, 04:18:55 »
I'm afraid I never deploy ASF in my Level IIIs. I'm a mini gamer, no interest in ASF, and traded my KS Chippewa for an Urbanmech and proud of it :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #45 on: 16 January 2022, 13:08:38 »
For 5000, I think 12-14 is max. I think you're shooting for a medium average weight, One Level II "Calvary Striker" if you will, the other defensive. Maybe throw another as mixed with Aero, that way if you don't play Aero, they can be handwaved away.
possibly. though possibly i might do like my Liao forces and build two forces that can be combined to make a larger force.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 16 January 2022, 16:07:06 »
I'm afraid I never deploy ASF in my Level IIIs. I'm a mini gamer, no interest in ASF, and traded my KS Chippewa for an Urbanmech and proud of it :)

Shilone

I can see as a gamer that wants to play a full 36 units in AS at one time why you wouldn't deploy any ASF.
It doesn't fit the "fluff" for the C* but it isn't a crime to run 36 units on the board & not have at least 2 ASF attached.

Register