Register Register

Author Topic: Consumer Prices in BattleTech  (Read 199 times)

ForwardThinking

• Recruit
Consumer Prices in BattleTech
« on: 10 June 2021, 06:50:53 »
Was trying to see if there was a source for any kind of info on general level of consumer prices, even if its vague. 

C-bills are the strongest I'm pretty sure.

Specifically I'm currently interested in how strong the Ryu is.  For example, what would a cup of coffee cost in an average Combine system?  I'm aware it could vary wildly depending on the system, but even a general range would be helpful. 

Anyone know if any canon material mentions anything about this?

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
Re: Consumer Prices in BattleTech
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2021, 07:15:04 »
All of the RPG stuff has average conversion rates between c-bills and house currency. Additionally there is sometimes a planetary or corporate scrip. Typically the Lyrans kroner is actually the strongest currency due to their manipulated exchange value. It was deemed a failing of one of the Archons that the kroner depreciated to equality.

I believe the IRL exchange rate of a c-bills is 5$ in 3025, and 10$ in the 3050-60s

Emcha

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2021, 11:14:21 »
Was trying to see if there was a source for any kind of info on general level of consumer prices, even if its vague. 

C-bills are the strongest I'm pretty sure.

Specifically I'm currently interested in how strong the Ryu is.  For example, what would a cup of coffee cost in an average Combine system?  I'm aware it could vary wildly depending on the system, but even a general range would be helpful. 

Anyone know if any canon material mentions anything about this?

you can find exchange rates in the sarna article about the C-bill complete wit h citations to the relevant sourcebooks: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/C-Bill#Denominations

I've been interested in this subject, too. like, there has t o be a markup for a lot of products depending on where they're bought and sold. we have a fan rulebook on the subject of manufacturing, i would be very interested in a book on trade.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2021, 23:08:31 »
I've been interested in this subject, too. like, there has t o be a markup for a lot of products depending on where they're bought and sold. we have a fan rulebook on the subject of manufacturing, i would be very interested in a book on trade.

Interstellar trade would have to establish the costs to transport goods from one system to another, which would need to get into average costs per year for a Jumpship and the various Dropships.  Jumpship costs would eventually be boiled down to cost per Dropship collar per jump, while Dropships would likely price based on number of jumps plus transit times.  So a world that has  short transit time would pay lower costs since Dropships could come in and out easily, while a system with a long transit time will be paying a premium due to the Dropships spending so much time transiting back and forth.  Figure the average cost per year for that Dropship, divided by the number of days the Dropship is actually available to transport cargo, divided by the available cargo tonnage will be the minimum shipping fee per ton.  Plus this is assuming that the Dropship will be carrying a full load and that all the cargo will be bought at the destination.  Most Dropship captains will just tell the daily price for the Dropship's service from source to destination, and expect the customer to pay that full amount.  Since most of the Dropship's time will be transiting from planet to Jump point and back, they won't be able to save that much by taking multiple loads of cargo along the same route.

You also get into the issue where smaller Dropships are paying more per ton of cargo for FTL travel compared to a larger Dropship.  I.e. if both a Mule and a Mammoth have to pay 50k C-B to rent space on a Jumpship, they will both add that cost to the goods sold, meaning the Mule will be adding roughly 6 C-Bills per ton of cargo, while the Mammoth will be adding less than 2 C-Bills per ton of cargo.

Those costs are also per Jump.  So there may be situations where the product is cheaper on another planet but that planet is on the other side of the Successor state.  In that case it is cheaper to purchase it from your hostile neighbor (or sponsor a merc unit to raid for it if the export laws are too strict).  Smart neighbors keep a bit of communications open, so they can at least price their goods appropriately - "It'll cost you 2.4M C-Bills to sponsor a merc unit to raid for these items, or you can pay us 2.3M C-Bills for them.  Your choice."

One of the key things that would help out with interstellar shipping is cargo/recharge stations at the Jump points.  Instead of paying for the Dropship to take several days to transit from the Jump point to the planet, the Dropship spends a few hours docked at the station, and can continue on.  The in-system Dropships then transport goods that are the proper size.  So instead of paying for the Mammoth to deliver 1500 tons to the planet's surface, you have them deliver the cargo to the station, and a cargo Union will deliver the 1500 tons from the station to the planet.  Off-hand, you are only paying 7% as much to ship from the Jump station to the planet's surface, and you can use far more groundports to receive a Union vs a Mammoth.

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2021, 23:11:53 »
Cough. Linked here and below

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/free-trader-s-guide-to-battletech/

Emcha

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2021, 00:06:49 »
you guys are the best.