Register Register

Author Topic: Davion March Organization Question  (Read 1874 times)

Niopsian

• Warrant Officer
  • I dunno.
Davion March Organization Question
« on: 14 November 2020, 12:06:41 »
Are Combat Theater, Operations Area and PDZ commands strictly military positions or do they also come with an associated title of nobility? And if so, is there a set rank for each? (Marquess for Theater, Count for OA, etc..)

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
Re: Davion March Organization Question
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2020, 14:29:00 »
I believe they are primarily military use only, there is likely a Duke or Marquess level Noble in charge of the noble forces in the area but a General is in charge of the Federal troops.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2020, 14:41:37 »
The noble titles all seem to attach to land.  The military regions below the Marches themselves don’t seem to be systematically associated with nobility.  That is to say, the March Lords are almost always both Dukes and Field Marshals, but the PDZ, OA, CR, etc commanders don’t have any particular title associated with them.  Maybe a PDZ commander *happens* to be a Duke or a Marquessa or whatever, but they acquired the title separately, the two don’t go together.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Niopsian

• Warrant Officer
  • I dunno.
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2020, 14:58:08 »
Thanks! That’s kind of what I thought. Would the planetary noble of a PDZ administrative capital likely have more influence than the nobles of other worlds in the same PDZ or is it just up to normal social hierarchy?

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2020, 15:47:42 »
Thanks! That’s kind of what I thought. Would the planetary noble of a PDZ administrative capital likely have more influence than the nobles of other worlds in the same PDZ or is it just up to normal social hierarchy?
That depends on the March. In the Combat Regions (PDZs) of the Crucis March, the civil lines are the same as the military lines, so yes. In the other Marches, maybe not.

However, having troops on world, and generally some kind of supply depot, rates a noble higher than one that would not. The civil administration is not as well defined, compared to say, Traveller, where each subsector Duke has some command over the local army.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2020, 01:44:40 »
They seem to.  The Duke of Kathil seems to be pretty much in command of the Kathil CMM in the novel Flashpoint, despite not being the titular commander of the Kathil PDZ.  It makes sense that they'd have more pull, even if not actual command, given that the March Militia commander needs to maintain good relations with the noble lord of the world he's based on, the fact that many of his troops probably grew up in the area, and that some of his officers may owe some sort of feudal loyalty to the local noble (especially in the older days when "noble mechwarriors" were a big deal).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

jasonf

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2020, 11:59:48 »
So I looked this up in the original House Davion book. Here's a summary of what it says on the military side. The relations between the local nobles and the COs are most likely what everyone has described so far:

Each March is under the purview of the AFFS and commanded by a Field Marshal. Traditionally these are also the Dukes/Duchesses of the Capellan and Draconis Marches but that is only because they have also held the rank of Field Marshal and have had to prove their worth in combat for the command. Otherwise, the command goes to the ranking Field Marshal in the March.

Command of the Combat Regions fall to the next ranking Field Marshal, usually the most senior CO of a frontline RCT in the region.

Command of each PDZ falls to the most senior CO of the frontline RCT in the PDZ. If there is no frontline RCT, it falls to the CO of the PDZ's March Militia.

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2020, 06:47:05 »
I think there is one interesting point for the chain of command though: right before the Fedcom civil war Katherine ordered many units loyal to her to important planets (like the 8th FedCom RCT to Kathil) At the same time Field Marshal Hasek (also the March Lord) ordered the same unit off of Kathil with the intent to send them to Atlas to better guard the Capellan border. Whose orders carry more weight? In the novel the Kathil CMM Milita officers argue that Lord Hasek can order units as he pleases but Katherine should have the highest authority right?

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2020, 09:11:55 »
Of course, that argument also leads into the argument that the Kathil CMM was making.

That Katherine's orders are illegal orders.

Templar87

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2020, 15:29:55 »
Of course, that argument also leads into the argument that the Kathil CMM was making.

That Katherine's orders are illegal orders.

Which they are, because she's claiming authority she doesn't have - being specifically ineligible for the Davion throne, no matter what that spineless amoeba Jackson Davion claims (Flashpoint is an utter damning indictment of Jackson Davion both as an officer and as a man).
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2020, 04:03:18 »

Which they are, because she's claiming authority she doesn't have - being specifically ineligible for the Davion throne, no matter what that spineless amoeba Jackson Davion claims (Flashpoint is an utter damning indictment of Jackson Davion both as an officer and as a man).

That part always struck me as odd. Victor's return should have made her entire ruling of the Fedsuns mood. After all he WAS the rightful First prince and Katherine was just called in to act as regent by Yvonne. Yes the council in the FedSuns deemed her as ruler but imho they did so because they thought Victor was not coming back from his rescue mission into Clan space.

Templar87

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2020, 12:14:02 »
That part always struck me as odd. Victor's return should have made her entire ruling of the Fedsuns mood. After all he WAS the rightful First prince and Katherine was just called in to act as regent by Yvonne. Yes the council in the FedSuns deemed her as ruler but imho they did so because they thought Victor was not coming back from his rescue mission into Clan space.

Well, if one's being cynical, Jackson Davion and the 15th Deneb Light Cav are sitting right there in Avalon City just to make sure the High Council doesn't decide "wrong" on that count.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”

DelevanGuardsCO

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2020, 19:18:06 »

I agree with you. There are multiple family members from the cadet lines, some are even mentioned in sourcebooks, that have more right to the throne than KSD had. Maybe Jackson thought he could control her since he was more eligible for the throne than she was? Victor returning with the bulk of the AFFC forces that had followed him to clan space should have made her machinations moot. She also was ineligible to be Archon. Since the requirements of being the Archon-Prince meant that one had to be eligible for both Prince and Archon under the separate Acts of Succession, the whole plot device seemed a little off.
"Away to Nahoni, to marsh and to mud
  before I yield to the Regents I'll shed my life's blood"

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2020, 19:33:33 »
I agree with you. There are multiple family members from the cadet lines, some are even mentioned in sourcebooks, that have more right to the throne than KSD had. Maybe Jackson thought he could control her since he was more eligible for the throne than she was? Victor returning with the bulk of the AFFC forces that had followed him to clan space should have made her machinations moot. She also was ineligible to be Archon. Since the requirements of being the Archon-Prince meant that one had to be eligible for both Prince and Archon under the separate Acts of Succession, the whole plot device seemed a little off.

Not to mention while she was the "rightful" regent of the Fedsuns due to the fact that Yvonne gave her the reigns of power she should not have the rights nor the power of the office of the First Prince / Princess. She never underwent military training which is required for the ruler by law within the Fedsuns. But they just waved it like that. And I doubt that it would have devolved into a civil war if Victor had just arrived at New Avalon saying "Hey Sis thanks for safeguarding my realm now PISS OFF!"

DelevanGuardsCO

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2020, 19:44:31 »
Not to mention while she was the "rightful" regent of the Fedsuns due to the fact that Yvonne gave her the reigns of power she should not have the rights nor the power of the office of the First Prince / Princess. She never underwent military training which is required for the ruler by law within the Fedsuns. But they just waved it like that. And I doubt that it would have devolved into a civil war if Victor had just arrived at New Avalon saying "Hey Sis thanks for safeguarding my realm now PISS OFF!"

You have hit the nail on the head. The Royal Brigade is tasked with helping maintain the traditions of the realm. None of the "Golden Five" Dukes supported her (at least not the ones we saw) nor did the March Lords. She had no legs to stand on with the rightful Prince back in the picture. Also everyone knew where PSD was even after ASD was killed, why didn't someone go get him?

Templar87

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2020, 09:44:21 »

To be honest, Jackson's behaviour suggests a rather less wily motivation for backing Katherine;

Specifically, that he is an utterly spineless moral coward, who to name a jellyfish - or, indeed, Judas - would be to grossly slander those worthies. Throughout the FCCW, he takes the path that requires him not to have to make a decision, or actually stand up for anything, from refusing to settle just what the Eighth FedCom's orders were to the utterly cowardly, self-serving, arse-covering way he finally left Katherine's service (at the last possible moment, and with a distinct air of a rat stowing away aboard the last lifeboat). So, very probably, he just chose to back Katherine by default, because deciding to support lawful rule would've needed him to do his damn job properly.

DelevanGuardsCO

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2020, 01:46:27 »

To be honest, Jackson's behaviour suggests a rather less wily motivation for backing Katherine;

Specifically, that he is an utterly spineless moral coward, who to name a jellyfish - or, indeed, Judas - would be to grossly slander those worthies. Throughout the FCCW, he takes the path that requires him not to have to make a decision, or actually stand up for anything, from refusing to settle just what the Eighth FedCom's orders were to the utterly cowardly, self-serving, arse-covering way he finally left Katherine's service (at the last possible moment, and with a distinct air of a rat stowing away aboard the last lifeboat). So, very probably, he just chose to back Katherine by default, because deciding to support lawful rule would've needed him to do his damn job properly.

I agree with you. I've been told by official sources that he's a "Complicated Character"......

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2020, 02:19:06 »
His complications have been inherited by his descendent, Julian.

As far as the March Lords and Katherine, my thought was that they went "Fine. If Victor wants to cut and run and hide, let's wait for Arthur He'll be a legitimate candidate in a few years...when that happens, we'll push Katherine away."

Templar87

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2020, 03:07:42 »
I agree with you. I've been told by official sources that he's a "Complicated Character"......

Well, if Jackson had eaten a cERPPC/cGR shot to the cockpit, or just dropped dead on the parade ground/at his desk of an aneurysm, c. 3059, he would, in all probability, be remembered quite fondly; because up to then, all accounts are that he did a decent, solid job at every appointment he held (even if a lot of them were on Easy Mode, and he had relatively little decision-making to do; just had to not screw it up too egregiously). But, his actions from then on are so utterly iniquitous that I would not be surprised if the result is that Jackson's place in FS history rivals David Varnay's for infamy (possibly exceeds it, as at least Varnay was a man, acting upon his own convictions and of his own will; rather than meekly going along with treason out of cowardice).

(sure an' Caleb thinks of Jackson as a heroic figure, but Caleb's an idiot even before we get into his mental health issues)

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2020, 04:45:59 »
His complications have been inherited by his descendent, Julian.

As far as the March Lords and Katherine, my thought was that they went "Fine. If Victor wants to cut and run and hide, let's wait for Arthur He'll be a legitimate candidate in a few years...when that happens, we'll push Katherine away."

Well Lord Sandoval even thought that Katherine was an improvement because she "supported" him in his paranoia about the Combine while George Hasek didn't care who sat on the throne. And the Crucis March? Wasn't Gallagher promoted by Katherine to be the head of this March? So yeah she had the "support" all right. So the Lords are just as complicit as is the High Command. I mean ffs Katherine kicked out Ardan Sortek out of his position as Prince's Champion and she cetainly didn't have the authority to do so. But nobody dared to stop her.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2020, 17:21:00 »
Simon Gallagher was appointed Prince's Champion and that is where Katherine sent orders that the normal chain of command might balk at passing along.  The Champion position was a loophole type position that she used to get around the bureaucratic roadblocks an established system can create.

The example that comes to mind is this . . . the orders to her loyalists on New Syrtis would be the equivalent of the Admiral of a fleet on his flagship walking into the mess and ordering a LT jg in charge of the mess on that ship to change the menu from pseudosteak to chicken for dinner.  It would generally be a bad idea for the LT jg to ignore the order, but by the book it is not a valid order (which IS different than a illegal order- that gets into moral ground) as it skips over half a dozen links in the chain of command.  Such a order absolutely treads all over the Captain's prerogative and status as the sole authority on the ship.  The Captain is in command, the Admiral is a guest/visitor aboard HIS/HER ship.  The Captain is responsible for everything on the ship and reports to the Admiral.  The Admiral wants to change what is for dinner?  They let the Captain know, and the Captain passes it down the chain.  Any other action undercuts the authority they have granted the Captain.  If the mess still serves chicken, it is the Captain who has to answer to the Admiral.

Marshall George Hasek, military commander of the Capellan March, and Duke George Hasek, supreme political authority of the Capellan March, both have the position to move troops on their 'ship' but will be responsible to the First Prince for the state of the March.  He was absolutely justified in trying to discuss with Katherine why she felt the need to countermand his orders and meddle in the state of the March.  Provided the March is secure (and while there was unrest there was not any fighting at that point IIRC) Katherine has no grounds to get involved in the daily operations.  In fact, take it at face value b/c of George's efforts to stay neutral and focus on the Capellans (you know, his duty) rotating Katherine's lackeys off world was to decrease tensions.  IIRC one episode of MASH, they had problems when Greeks & Turks were in the recovery ward together . . . it is the same sort of deal, you nip problems in the bud by not putting formations that are antagonistic to each other in close proximity.  Part of command is managing personalities- which is what he was doing, trying to prevent tensions by moving two guys who are crap talking each other apart so neither one can hear the latest insults or respond in kind.

Heck, George actually had a military duty to determine why he was being cut out of the chain of command.

IIRC, the Duke of New Syrtis was also in charge of that region- he also had the authority to order them around in a limited fashion.  Not sure he could order them off world, but could definitely order them around on his planet.

Actually, Katherine might have been able to kick Arden Sortek out- depends on the power of the regency.  Not really sure why any of this is a shock, she usurped her previous regency (Victor always should have had someone behind her who you could speed her way down a staircase!) and would do the same if installed in New Avalon.

Here is a interesting thought . . . IF Katherine's loyalists had left New Syrtis as ordered, how might that have changed the course of the FCCW?  The world ate how many regiments of mechs, armor, infantry and ASF?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2020, 07:52:29 »
I think if Katherine had stayed away from New Syrtis it might have changed. She threw 2 nearly fully operational RCT'S into this fight (plus one Warship) and at the end both commands hovered at 4 -10% combat strength and the Warship went boom (wasn't that one of the few Avalon cruisers?). Those untis might have been more effective in retaking Tikonov or chasing Victor. Then again at least one RCT from New Syrtis would have been free for the fight too: the Davion Light Guards. 

From what I understand is that the Regent does not have the power to remove the Prince's champion as the Champion is appointed by the Prince. And Katherine did not have the power of the Prince (nor the legal background to actually assume this position). Yvonne technically did face the same problem in the After Jihad era but she was ruling in the name of her son so maybe that worked out.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2020, 12:02:42 »
And look at how well Yvonne handled the March Dukes. One threw her fricking husband off of his seat. The other just ignored her. I'm surprised that the Capellan March got involved in any way in Operation Matador.  "I protect and oversee the Capellan March. You gave those worlds to the Periphery March. That's a them problem now."

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2020, 15:35:43 »
Probably didn't want to be accused of being like her sister at the start of her reign and then couldn't re-impose her authority easily afterwards.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2020, 02:17:36 »
And look at how well Yvonne handled the March Dukes. One threw her fricking husband off of his seat. The other just ignored her. I'm surprised that the Capellan March got involved in any way in Operation Matador.  "I protect and oversee the Capellan March. You gave those worlds to the Periphery March. That's a them problem now."
Considering Taurians glassed good part of New Syrtis it would be weird for Capellan march forces not to take part. They made a mess of it though.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2020, 05:39:42 »
Considering Taurians glassed good part of New Syrtis it would be weird for Capellan march forces not to take part. They made a mess of it though.

The problem is that Nathaniel Hasek threw the operation plan out of the window and he even brought the Syrtis Avengers who were more then itching for a fight. Talk about pouring gasoline onto a brightly light fire.
The 1.Syrtis Fusiliers aquitted themselves well but that unit was a more Davion then Hasek leaning unit

Niopsian

• Warrant Officer
  • I dunno.
« Reply #26 on: 07 December 2020, 11:21:13 »
Probably didn't want to be accused of being like her sister at the start of her reign and then couldn't re-impose her authority easily afterwards.

Speaking of Yvonne, I've often wondered how fringe groups like Citizens for Davion Purity viewed her regency and the subsequent reigns of Harrison and Caleb. In many respects, Caleb Sandoval-Hasek-Steiner-Davion is their greatest horror made manifest, but on the other hand he did really want to stomp the Dracs so he had that going for him. Would they be pleased with the extinction of the Steiner-Davion line and the throne moving to the Markeson Davions?

And again speaking of Yvonne, given that she was born on Liao and the CapCon never accepted or recognized that Liao was ever anything other than a Capellan possession, what are the odds that Daoshen considered Yvonne and her descendants to be rogue servitors?

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2020, 11:49:04 »
Speaking of Yvonne, I've often wondered how fringe groups like Citizens for Davion Purity viewed her regency and the subsequent reigns of Harrison and Caleb. In many respects, Caleb Sandoval-Hasek-Steiner-Davion is their greatest horror made manifest, but on the other hand he did really want to stomp the Dracs so he had that going for him. Would they be pleased with the extinction of the Steiner-Davion line and the throne moving to the Markeson Davions?

It is not extinct . . . Vic has kids, Alaric exists (as the purest Steiner-Davion around), and Trillian Steiner-Davion is running the Lyran state (into the ground some might say).
Colt Ward

Niopsian

• Warrant Officer
  • I dunno.
« Reply #28 on: 07 December 2020, 12:37:03 »
It is not extinct . . . Vic has kids, Alaric exists (as the purest Steiner-Davion around), and Trillian Steiner-Davion is running the Lyran state (into the ground some might say).

Extinct in the sense of the line's claim to the throne of the Federated Suns.

De jure, Victor's kids are barred by his own declaration. Alaric is doubly barred by being both Vic and Katherine's descendant. Of course, might makes right and all, but for purposes of legitimacy Alaric should be discounted.

Trillian's claim through Peter Steiner-Davion may be stronger than the Markeson branch of the Davion family, but it is weakened by distance and that line's overwhelming association with the Lyran throne. And like you say, Trillian's got enough troubles of her own without trying to chase down another throne on the other side of the sphere.

Really, after the Civil War the Federated Suns needed to pass an Act of Succession to clear all this up, but as mentioned up above if the Federated Suns paid attention to documentation the Civil War wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 07 December 2020, 12:45:39 »
If they live, they still have a claim- as history demonstrates with plenty of under-age would be rulers happened to expire under the protection of their regents.

Victor's declaration is hollow since the children (or grandchildren) could simply recant.
Colt Ward

Register