Register Register

Author Topic: Description of Palmyra  (Read 1296 times)

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
  • Is this the real life...
Description of Palmyra
« on: 23 December 2021, 23:21:54 »
Was there ever any stories set on Palmyra that describe the planet in any detail? I haven't seen any, but I don't know if there was a BattleCorps story set there I don't know about.
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Re: Description of Palmyra
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2021, 19:56:45 »
Not that I'm aware of, however I do remember there being mountains from a bit of fluff for a tank I think.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2021, 20:31:19 »
Great, thank you! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't described as a desert world or something in a source I don't have.
...Is this just fantasy?

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2021, 09:03:23 »
In the TRO 3145 for the newest version of the Black Knight it is mentioned that Palmyra had at least one river (in the text it describes a battle between two old Davion Black Knights and a Krutia Gunslinger and the Gunslinger cleared a river too fight them. I think Palmyra also had a HPG station and at least one big city.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2021, 21:22:47 »
apparently the destruction of half the AFFS isn't worth even a OTP book.

::)

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2021, 21:49:50 »
So it sounds like a pretty generic planet and I'm unlikely to break canon. Thanks for the help everyone!

While it is annoying that TPTB don't care enough to justify how badly they screwed over the Suns, the post-MWDA pre-3145 years are sparse in general. I mean we know next to nothing about the annihilation of the Nova Cats as well.
...Is this just fantasy?

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2021, 01:41:14 »
yeah the Nova Cats basicly got annialated in a ****** SIDE PARAGRAPH.

"ohh by the way while the DCMS is conquering the dracionus march the Nova cats launch a civil war against the bastard usurper on the throne based around an actual child of the late cordinator... they get genocided and the DCMS continues their invasion without a hitch"

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2021, 10:36:31 »

"ohh by the way while the DCMS is conquering the dracionus march the Nova cats launch a civil war against the bastard usurper on the throne based around an actual child of the late cordinator... they get genocided and the DCMS continues their invasion without a hitch"

It was part of the faction downsizing . . . all the Dark Age proto-states got swept into the trash except the Galatian League or whatever, the Cats got rolfstomped, and the Warden Wolves were lined up to be next.  I mean when one of your giant warship/transports gets "Oops'd!" it sort of reads as the punctuation for the writing on the wall.  Only reason they did not march into the long night is we had a Dev change . . . and we swung the other way, everyone is resurrected!  ELH, GDL, other old mercs, the Jags . . . I mean when Danai makes her play, anyone expect St Ives to pop back up under Cassandra Allard-Liao-Romanov's descendant?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2021, 10:48:47 »
It was part of the faction downsizing . . . all the Dark Age proto-states got swept into the trash except the Galatian League or whatever, the Cats got rolfstomped, and the Warden Wolves were lined up to be next.  I mean when one of your giant warship/transports gets "Oops'd!" it sort of reads as the punctuation for the writing on the wall.  Only reason they did not march into the long night is we had a Dev change . . . and we swung the other way, everyone is resurrected!  ELH, GDL, other old mercs, the Jags . . . I mean when Danai makes her play, anyone expect St Ives to pop back up under Cassandra Allard-Liao-Romanov's descendant?

I doubt we'll see the SIC return, but yeah, the dev change definatly was involved.

Templar87

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2021, 11:11:18 »
Was there ever any stories set on Palmyra that describe the planet in any detail? I haven't seen any, but I don't know if there was a BattleCorps story set there I don't know about.

No, or at least not to my knowledge. The most description we get that I'm aware of is in ER 3145, with a mention of Palmyra having six continents, two major urban areas with DropPorts - Judd and Sawle - the latter of which has a mountain range (the Tower Mountains) to its north. There was a functioning HPG station as well, apparently colocated with key planetary communications assets (as its destruction by (presumably) DEST infiltrators played hell with the planet's comms network), but it's not mentioned just where it was located.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2021, 11:18:11 »
Shattered Fortress had some survivors getting pulled off planet IIRC?
Colt Ward

Templar87

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2021, 11:25:19 »
Shattered Fortress had some survivors getting pulled off planet IIRC?

There's a mention of raids on Palmyra in both RG 12 and ilClan, but they don't add much to the description of Palmyra beyond the mention in ilClan that the foothills of the Tower Mountains apparently extend fairly close to Sawle.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2021, 13:44:29 »
I was sort of going at it from a different direction.

First, IIRC, some of the AFFS survivors hid in caves?

Second, you can tell how rugged the wilderness- and how widespread- it is based on how much men & material were able to hide out there during the Drac occupation.  A battalion out of all those shattered regiments?  Less trees, flatter (think Whichita Mtns), more open, fewer caves, and less available food.  Enough men to fill three regiments?  Lots of mature forest with mixed hardwoods & pine, lots of broken up terrain (think Appalachins), metal/coal mines w/caves, and edible plants/fishing/hunting along with ease of sneaking food out of farming zones to the resistance group.  Enough men to fill five infantry regiments?  Heavily forested, very rugged mountains (think Rockies), lots of mining activity, extensive cave zones based off limestone layers, and since that terrain is contra-indicated for farming, the resistance can absolutely support whatever supplies they fled with from the Dracs w/farmer support.  Or fishing fleets, getting fish inland might be easier than produce.

How many years were they hiding in the boonies?  How large was the Drac garrison- whose sport should have been hunting bands of AFFS survivors?

TLDR- It is easier to hide bands of surviving troops in the Rockies than Saskatchewan; more troops that survived the occupation = more rugged terrain.
Colt Ward

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2021, 13:46:13 »

Oh, dont get to start on that. To get info on what of the CNC industry was after that Civil War you have to sieve trought at least 3-4 books/TROs.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2021, 17:38:42 »
Oh, dont get to start on that. To get info on what of the CNC industry was after that Civil War you have to sieve trought at least 3-4 books/TROs.

Of those that have been alive for a long time (irl 1993-2013), no other faction has received such a fate as Nova Cats. I don't even mean their destruction in two pages of the Era Report. As their fan, I can't even play their rebellion properly. Because I just don't know what forces they had, what clusters they had, and so on. For almost nine years, occasional mentions in TRO and the Kisho Nova Cat section in Battletech:Legends. Well, at least there are Spirit Cats.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2021, 17:52:04 »
Of those that have been alive for a long time (irl 1993-2013), no other faction has received such a fate as Nova Cats. I don't even mean their destruction in two pages of the Era Report. As their fan, I can't even play their rebellion properly. Because I just don't know what forces they had, what clusters they had, and so on. For almost nine years, occasional mentions in TRO and the Kisho Nova Cat section in Battletech:Legends. Well, at least there are Spirit Cats.

Agreed. the closest we get to that are the smoke jags (as the FM:Crusader clans comes out after the jag annialation) but they produced reams of info on the jags death so..

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2021, 20:02:56 »
Agreed. the closest we get to that are the smoke jags (as the FM:Crusader clans comes out after the jag annialation) but they produced reams of info on the jags death so..

I'd comment on this, but there are RULES, and I don't need to edge closer to a ban than I already am.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 01 January 2022, 08:20:17 »
TPTB have said they are going to cover the Nova Cat death in detail at some point (tm) in an AMA, or every AMA, they acknowledge that it needs more detail than it got but they were hemmed in by iirc MWDA, wordcount and what products were in the pipeline at the time, things were done that they wished were done better (both Ras-Drac wars needing so many stupid pills to happen, Cats kaputing off screen).
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 01 January 2022, 13:55:54 »
The Cat's death was not due to MWDA.  The segment dealing with that was to get rid of the Cats and Katana during a period where they were decreasing the faction count.
Colt Ward

butchbird

• Corporal
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #19 on: 01 January 2022, 15:38:31 »
I'm completely at loss as to dev changes and what they meant for the BTU (altough this information sheds some light on the events of the last 10 years...shame it seems a somewhat "off limit topic", damn you 2020's), but this brings to me a question (good a time as any to ask it I guess):

Was the decision to respect the whole "Jihad to MWDA" plots a choice or did the devs feel like their hands were tied at the moment of decision? Anybody know this one? I think I remember board members mentioning how there was some heavy changes to the way the Jihad had been laid out in contrast to what was known "in the MWDA universe"...

Sure hope we will get a "historical" detailing the NovaCat demise...but then, still waiting for guerrero.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 01 January 2022, 16:35:49 »
Once again, the death of the Cats had nothing to do with MWDA afaik- THOUGH the last Drac focused MWDA book is coming out and I was never able to read that originally.

MWDA established a strained relationship between the DC & Cats, the second DC-GB war, the results, and that the Cats were struggling to recover their pride/identity.

The faction killing was done by previous TPTB and they had started a path of cutting down factions- starting with the Wars of Reaving.  Then came ER/FM3145 with the Cats being killed off, the Warden Wolves were getting cut down (a Potemkin got Oops'd), and all the proto-states of the MWDA were wiped off the map except the Remnant and Galatean League.  They were even re-uniting the Taurians.

Last TPTB were killers, this set is resurrecting everything.
Colt Ward

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 01 January 2022, 16:49:39 »
Once again, the death of the Cats had nothing to do with MWDA afaik- THOUGH the last Drac focused MWDA book is coming out and I was never able to read that originally.

MWDA established a strained relationship between the DC & Cats, the second DC-GB war, the results, and that the Cats were struggling to recover their pride/identity.

The faction killing was done by previous TPTB and they had started a path of cutting down factions- starting with the Wars of Reaving.  Then came ER/FM3145 with the Cats being killed off, the Warden Wolves were getting cut down (a Potemkin got Oops'd), and all the proto-states of the MWDA were wiped off the map except the Remnant and Galatean League.  They were even re-uniting the Taurians.

Last TPTB were killers, this set is resurrecting everything.

I can understand getting rid of the home clans as they were defacto almost a seperate but connected setting, and they may have decided they simply couldn't support defacto, two settings in the game, I'm fine with the TC and CP merging, (the fans wanted it anyway I reckon) and mini post republic proto states where never gonna last. but things like the death of the nova cats just felt kinda malicious.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 01 January 2022, 18:47:13 »
I can understand getting rid of the home clans as they were defacto almost a seperate but connected setting, and they may have decided they simply couldn't support defacto, two settings in the game, I'm fine with the TC and CP merging, (the fans wanted it anyway I reckon) and mini post republic proto states where never gonna last. but things like the death of the nova cats just felt kinda malicious.

I think "Malice" would require more emotional investment than was actually there, given how little was actually done to set it up and how little was done carrying it out.

IOW I get more of a 'clinical' feel, like maybe they evaluated projected word count versus how much will be made per word, and started cutting off anything that didn't seem profitable.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams