Register Register

Author Topic: From whence Andurien?  (Read 476 times)

Middcore

• Sergeant
  • "Robots are different from cyborgs!"
From whence Andurien?
« on: 05 April 2021, 21:09:19 »
Stipulating that even the parts of the Inner Sphere which try most belligerently to give the impression of a monoculture are still melting pots...

What the heck are the primary ethnic/cultural influences of the Duchy of Andurien supposed to be?

If you google "Andurien" the first result that isn't BattleTech-related is a song by a house band from Argentina (I think) on SoundCloud at the end of page 2.

Their hereditary rulers are the Humphreys family, which is just kind of a generic English surname, and the Humphreys themselves are IIRC from New Delos originally, anyhow.

Their unique rank structure from the Marik handbook gives them enlisted ranks with names like "Thegn" and "Banner," which seems a bit like they were going for an Old English thing.

The names of other worlds in the Duchy run the gamut from Egyptian (El Giza) to South African (KwaMashu) to Canadian (Ingonish) to Finnish (Fagerholm).

Is there any source material I've overlooked that speaks to what, if any, particular cultural theme or "flavor" TPTB at the time may have been going for with Andurien?
"It's called world-building, Gabriel! And it was so honey-sweet. I plunged my proboscis in and filled my sacs!"
-Penny Arcade

Fortunes of War is my BT fanfiction novella. Please take a look and let me know if you enjoyed it.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
Re: From whence Andurien?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2021, 21:27:53 »
the humpreys themselves, as noted, are from oriente originally.

this is the one passage i found with a quick dive into some sources i knew would talk about andurien

Quote from: Handbook House Marik, pg 66
English is the official language of Andurien, but in practice Italian is the most common tongue, closely followed by Spanish and Chinese dialects (principally Mandarin and Hakka). Catholicism is the principal faith of the Andurien worlds, with Confucianism a distant second. Many Anduriens eschew religion, believing in no power in the universe beyond human determination.

So southern European with a not-insignificant Chinese influence? that's the closest thing i could find in a ten minute dive.

Middcore

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2021, 21:30:42 »
the humpreys themselves, as noted, are from oriente originally.

this is the one passage i found with a quick dive into some sources i knew would talk about andurien

So southern European with a not-insignificant Chinese influence? that's the closest thing i could find in a ten minute dive.

Well, shoot. I would never have even guessed Italian, clearly overlooked that in the old handbook. Seems slightly random? It's something though I guess. The Chinese influences make sense considering these worlds used to be Capellan.

Thanks!
"It's called world-building, Gabriel! And it was so honey-sweet. I plunged my proboscis in and filled my sacs!"
-Penny Arcade

Fortunes of War is my BT fanfiction novella. Please take a look and let me know if you enjoyed it.

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2021, 21:38:45 »
From Handbook House Marik, pg. 66:

English is the official language of Andurien, but in practice Italian is the most common tongue, closely followed by Spanish and Chinese dialects (principally Mandarin and Hakka). Catholicism is the principal faith of the Andurien worlds, with Confucianism a distant second. Many Anduriens eschew religion, believing in no power in the universe beyond human determination.

Later, the book classifies the Duchy as an "enlightened oligarchy" that grants its citizens "substantial freedoms", although it doesn't specify what those are (presumably voting for or selecting their own candidates isn't one of those freedoms).

From HBHM pg. 108

Andurien, as its occasional ties to the Capellan Confederation suggest, has a powerful Chinese subculture, but its northern European traditions—in particular, the Welsh of the ruling Humphreys clan—dominate, closely followed by Spanish and Italian influences.

From HBHM pg. 116

The masque ball on Andurien is arguably the most sophisticated Mardi Gras party [in the Free Worlds League], where attendees sport silken clothes that are works of art; the mascareri who produce the elaborate masks also worn by celebrants are among the League’s most highly regarded craftsmen. This surface elegance conceals a sensuous and hedonistic heart that rivals Carnival on other League planets.

I think it's safe to assume the region's heavy Catholicism probably is why Andurien is into Mardi Gras to the degree that it is.

Two pages later, on the various fashion of the League: "[...]in Andurien and on other worlds along the Capellan border, cheongsam and tang jackets are popular."

Liam's Ghost

• Major
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2021, 21:46:12 »
The Chinese influences make sense considering these worlds used to be Capellan.

It probably shouldn't since the Chinese culture of the Capellan Confederation was more imposed over a multicultural population than inherent. I think the only one of the original Capellan states that had a definite Chinese ancestry was St Ives (colonized by people fleeing the Republican(!) Chinese annexation of Hong Kong).

Though he was born and raised in Hong Kong, even Elias Liao was actually of English and Nepalese ancestry, and made his home in Nepal after Hong Kong was annexed.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2021, 21:49:21 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2021, 21:49:35 »
The founders, prior to the Age of War, were House Allard.  They fled into exile when House Liao conquered the world.  Given the name, Justin/Kai may have been distant descendants.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2021, 01:19:05 »
I always felt Andurien as depicted as of 3025 had a strong Spanish vibe going, and thought the name might allude to Andalusia. But I can't really back this up with quotations.
Fwiw, the fiction parts in Bruderkampf are full of Spanish words and names.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2021, 02:23:56 »
Also interesting to note: per the old Periphery Second Edition sourcebook, there is a branch of House Humphreys that belongs to the nobility of the Marian Hegemony, ruling over the world of Islington.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2021, 18:19:51 »
A related question: Why does Andurien stick with the Capellans? When you are a nation that has decided to leave your former nation you tend to AVOID getting into the next nation's clutches so readily. You strive for independence. Allied yes, even a strong alliabce but absorved de facto, no.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2021, 18:48:09 »
It’s more like they’re hanging out with the canopians who are hanging out with the capellans. The injustices of house Liao are distant memories at this point. Hatred of the mariks is much more fresh

Middcore

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2021, 20:00:12 »
A related question: Why does Andurien stick with the Capellans? When you are a nation that has decided to leave your former nation you tend to AVOID getting into the next nation's clutches so readily.

Especially when they were willing to break with the FWL before in large part because they hated the idea of being allied with Liao so much.

But forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown Dark Age.
-Penny Arcade

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2021, 20:04:25 »
Political expediency makes strange bedfellows. Though it’s arguable the canopians are always strange bedfellows

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2021, 20:51:46 »
Political expediency makes strange bedfellows. Though it’s arguable the canopians are always strange bedfellows

Yeah but it costs extra

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2021, 21:36:01 »
Getting away from the Mariks: priceless
For everything else there’s MasterCard

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2021, 02:08:13 »
Getting away from the Mariks: priceless
For everything else there’s MasterCard
But the Master was a Marik, so it't catch-22. ;)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2021, 02:17:11 »
you jump out of the frying pan, there's only one place to land

lopez

Register