Register Register

Author Topic: GDL question. How did Tracy Maxwell Kent die?  (Read 831 times)

bugman

• Sergeant
GDL question. How did Tracy Maxwell Kent die?
« on: 20 June 2022, 07:36:03 »
I have the Day of Heroes, but can't seem to find a reference to her death. Nor is she listed in any of the 3056 scenarios on Glengarry. Unless I missed something. I don't have any novels concerning this time period. Was she killed before the mech battles started?
????

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: GDL question. How did Tracy Maxwell Kent die?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2022, 08:18:37 »
She was killed by Skye Separatists in the novel “Blood of Heroes” - the scenario pack isn’t just a recreation of the novel’s events, it’s a continuation of the story.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

bugman

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2022, 08:43:22 »
She was killed by Skye Separatists in the novel “Blood of Heroes” - the scenario pack isn’t just a recreation of the novel’s events, it’s a continuation of the story.
Was she in her mech? Or out of it? Bomb, Sniper, terrorists thing?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2022, 09:38:03 »
Hmmm - the Wiki says she died in Blood of Heroes, but a keyword search of the novel doesn’t turn up any sign of her in action on Glengarry.  In fact, depending on how you parse one reference, she may actually be on Borghese.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

bugman

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2022, 10:01:38 »
It's almost like she was killed off as a after thought with no details. She was not a huge character, but did have profiles in both scenarios packs. Would have thought she would have gotten a proper send off.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2022, 21:32:11 »
Shrapnel does have an open submission policy…

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2022, 08:22:55 »
It's almost like she was killed off as a after thought with no details. She was not a huge character, but did have profiles in both scenarios packs. Would have thought she would have gotten a proper send off.
She did have a story in Shrapnel, the 1988 version. "Legion Team" written by William H. Keith, Jr. Worth tracking down if you haven't read it. She didn't die in the story.
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

bugman

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2022, 08:54:07 »
She did have a story in Shrapnel, the 1988 version. "Legion Team" written by William H. Keith, Jr. Worth tracking down if you haven't read it. She didn't die in the story.
I have that first Shrapnel book. Bought specifically because of the GDL story as I recall. The GDL was a important NPC force in my Campaign. Part of building the rep of my PC force. They faced the GDL during the 4th SW working for Ricol. So I was always looking for source materials back then. Infact ran a Gencon event recreating when the two Command Companies fought each other. 1989 I think.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2022, 09:23:33 »
I have that first Shrapnel book. Bought specifically because of the GDL story as I recall. The GDL was a important NPC force in my Campaign. Part of building the rep of my PC force. They faced the GDL during the 4th SW working for Ricol. So I was always looking for source materials back then. Infact ran a Gencon event recreating when the two Command Companies fought each other. 1989 I think.
Dude, that's awesome! Wish I had been there for your GC event. I picked up Shrapnel back in the day but never realized that there was a GDL story until I re-read it in the 2000's--cherry picked the stories I read out of it back in the '80's. Thunder Rift and the first GDL splatbook were my entry into Battletech back in '86 so I still feel kind of foolish that I never realized there was a GDL story sitting on my shelf all those years.  ;D
« Last Edit: 21 June 2022, 09:27:50 by IronSphinx »
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2022, 11:56:01 »
And it's a pretty good story, too. Even though the GDL timeline and continuity are one big fachchecking headache. :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

bugman

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2022, 13:31:40 »
Dude, that's awesome! Wish I had been there for your GC event. I picked up Shrapnel back in the day but never realized that there was a GDL story until I re-read it in the 2000's--cherry picked the stories I read out of it back in the '80's. Thunder Rift and the first GDL splatbook were my entry into Battletech back in '86 so I still feel kind of foolish that I never realized there was a GDL story sitting on my shelf all those years.  ;D
Thunder Rift was a huge influence on my campaign back then. Back then we were starving for more background information. It was also a static time-line pretty much. So you could take things in any direction without any difficulty.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2022, 19:28:56 »
Well, this is interesting, because I think in one of the books before Blood/Day of Heroes she left the Legion,  In the RecGuide for notable Phoenix Hawk pilots Tracy 8s reported to have died on Glengarry, but she's nowhere in the Legion's TO&E in Day of Heroes or HTP Glengarry. I wonder if she came in with the Legion's 3rd Battalion and Carlyle's hired Northwind Highlanders to finish the Second Skye rebellion and perhaps died in the fighting at the end...

bugman

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2022, 19:59:52 »
Well, this is interesting, because I think in one of the books before Blood/Day of Heroes she left the Legion,  In the RecGuide for notable Phoenix Hawk pilots Tracy 8s reported to have died on Glengarry, but she's nowhere in the Legion's TO&E in Day of Heroes or HTP Glengarry. I wonder if she came in with the Legion's 3rd Battalion and Carlyle's hired Northwind Highlanders to finish the Second Skye rebellion and perhaps died in the fighting at the end...
The 3 books before Blood/Day of Heroes were the 3 that dealt with the GDL creation and the Helm computer core. I wonder if TPTB killed her off instead of WK jr or AK?

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2022, 21:03:41 »
She could have retired also at some point before the blood of heroes book came out also. She could have been called back to take over for their family at some point. I think they were big in Fed suns space somehow.