Register Register

Author Topic: help me name a (Neo)blakist unit  (Read 902 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
help me name a (Neo)blakist unit
« on: 23 November 2020, 15:34:58 »
so in wave 2 of the kickstarter i decided to get the two comstar LvII packs. which will see some mix and match with the IS mechs from other packs i've ordered to make a 3100's Comguard Alpha Strike force to match my Liao and Steiner Alpha Stike Units. (and which could also double as a WoB or comstar unit in earlier eras.) some theory crafting on the MUL shows the two Lv.II's should make up a 500pv unit.

now i'm a world builder by nature, so i've been brainstorming background fluff, and i'd like to set these guys up as a Lv.III within the "2nd Division" of the secret Neo-Blake Comguard. Unfortunately i'm terrible at coming up with names, especially ones of the sort that the neo-blakists used. the canon 1st Division had stuff like Unending Faith, Acolytes of Vision, Stalwart Covenant, Chastity of Faith, Blake’s Guardians, and Heralds of Pious Light. presumably all names drawn from stuff Jerome Blake or Conrad Toyama wrote.

i've had a hard time thinking of anything in a similar vein that didn't sound silly.

Sartris

• Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
Re: help me name a (Neo)blakist unit
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2020, 15:42:39 »
Silent Vigil
Blinding Righteousness
Just Retribution
Uncorrupted Thought
Pious Silence
Zeal Unyielding
Sanctified Acts
Venerated Wisdom

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2020, 16:14:09 »
Anything dealing with middle age monastic orders and christian religion also works. Add som e cheese to the mix
You can also use marvel univeree vigilante groups here. Vigilantes, defenders, avengers, guardians...

Psalms of fury
Righteous message
Altar of righteousness
Light of reason
Reason of faith
Faithful avengers
Guardians of the light
Harbringers of light. Lightbringers.
Lanterns of Blake. Blake’s lanterns
Fire of toyama

Try to put your tongue in cheek and youmwill do well.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2020, 17:42:28 »
"Light of reason" sounds pretty good, actually. sounds like something that would be a metaphor in the original blake text.. the light of reason illuminating the darkness of ignorance, or whatever.
which takes on sinister undertones when applied to a dozen battlemechs..

fallen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2020, 17:55:54 »
Prophet Motive
Conrad's Covenanters
Counter-Reformation
Apollyon's Inquistors
Faith's Fire
Sword of Reason
First Circuit Riders

« Last Edit: 23 November 2020, 17:57:43 by fallen »
No good deed goes unpunished.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2020, 19:09:47 »
Purifying Fire
Righteous Inquisitors
Zealous Blades
Glorious Thunder
Holy Vengeance
Angels of Light
Wisdom of Faith

Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2020, 19:36:22 »
I named my Word of Blake forces (so far two Level III's painted in 50th Shadow Division) the 'Reclamation of Blake'. 

The story behind this is the Level IV would essentially be the remnants of whatever was able to escape the annihilation in 3082; several divisions are MIA, including the 50th Shadow Division and the 3rd and 10th Word of Blake Militia divisions.  There are also a number of warships and transports that disappeared.  I like to head-cannon that they escaped beyond the Inner Sphere using a 'super-jump' which just so conveniently crippled their warship on a habitable world.  They will rebuild slowly, becoming even more integrated into the machines they use, until they essentially become individual AI built within the computers of their equipment, programmed to invade return to the Inner Sphere to bring Blake's teachings to the barbarians less civilized.  This would be centuries after 3082 though, I'm thinking like 3300's.

It would be neat to see someone come from outside of the Inner Sphere and Clan Space, who has completely escaped the ravages of war for centuries, and instead built their society on a greater purpose (religion, philosphy, etc.) and I think the Word of Blake was set up nicely for such a story.  Long story for a short answer.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2020, 21:31:58 »
If there Neo-Blakists then referencing WoB Commsnders would be a thing. I jokingly once called a unit Aziz's Light for instance.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2020, 21:59:48 »
they are neo-blakist in belief but they were Comstar Loyalists. so WoB references seem unlikely.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/1st_Division_(ComStar)#Republic_Era
while they were believers in Blake (think pre-schism comstar stuff) they were basically Comstar loyalists looking to rebuild the comguard in secret (at least, as far as it looked in the books)

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2020, 00:46:59 »
My understanding is that the schism occurred because Focht wanted to remove Comstar of the religious aspect. Comstar engrained a fervent religious outlook to it's organization and members, and Focht wanted to move away from that. I would argue that the taking off Terra and the massive buildup of the Words military would show they didn't have much interest in going back to pre tukayyid, similar to Comstar.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2020, 01:10:49 »
My understanding is that the schism occurred because Focht wanted to remove Comstar of the religious aspect. Comstar engrained a fervent religious outlook to it's organization and members, and Focht wanted to move away from that. I would argue that the taking off Terra and the massive buildup of the Words military would show they didn't have much interest in going back to pre tukayyid, similar to Comstar.
except these aren't WOB. they're comstar, trying to go back to the old pre-schism ways.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blessed_Order

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2020, 04:08:17 »
1. Righteous Enlightenment.
2. Humanity's Hammer.
3. Indignation at Ignorance.
4. Wrath of Justice.
5. Tamers of the Wolves.
6. Paladins of Enlightenment.
7. Technology & Tranquility.
8. Defenders of Development.
9. Bulkwork for Prosperity.
10. Blake's Big Bats.
11. Penance and Fortitude.

Metallgewitter

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2020, 04:43:54 »
1. Divine Justice
2. Bringers of Mercy
3. Seekers of Truth
4. Terra's Vengeance
5. Keepers of Purity
6. Banisher of Darkness
7. Strength of Faith

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2020, 16:57:00 »
One I've used mostly for Manei Domini forces, but which also might work well for neo-Blakists: Vigor Mortis.
"Get me some tribal drums and some wordless chanting or get the ****** out."
- Me, on the comparison of the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack to all other Mechwarrior soundtracks

"Tragically, all the Taurians have is Mister Pibb. It's why they're so angry all the time."
- Liam's Ghost

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 25 November 2020, 02:20:33 »
The Silver Shield after Operation Silver Shield

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2020, 17:26:22 »
Prophet Motive

This is so ****** good that I'm a little annoyed I didn't come up with it myself.
"Get me some tribal drums and some wordless chanting or get the ****** out."
- Me, on the comparison of the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack to all other Mechwarrior soundtracks

"Tragically, all the Taurians have is Mister Pibb. It's why they're so angry all the time."
- Liam's Ghost

fallen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2020, 22:30:13 »
This is so ****** good that I'm a little annoyed I didn't come up with it myself.

Thanks Kojak! 

Another name I have thought of, I am lifting from the book Nightfall by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg.

Apostles of Flame
No good deed goes unpunished.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2020, 21:15:11 »
Whisper's of Blake

( I'm the author of this unit, would like to see them played more often.  :-[ )

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/how-to-brown-pants-properly!-or-a-tt-opfor-for-free-usage/

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 03 December 2020, 23:40:37 »
Whisper's of Blake

( I'm the author of this unit, would like to see them played more often.  :-[ )

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/how-to-brown-pants-properly!-or-a-tt-opfor-for-free-usage/

NO NO NO  Bad NO

TT
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #19 on: 03 December 2020, 23:55:47 »
Why NO Doc?  >:D

Something bad?  ^-^

Do you know something?  ::)

Spill the beans!  :whip:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2020, 17:50:42 »
I always think of Wing Commander's Privateer:  Righteous Fire- the Retros had all sorts of great things they would tell you as they were trying to kill you.

So yeah, if I actually put a L2 together with the 3 Celestials I have . . . they would be Righteous Fire, and I would be trying to get the sayings and have my mechwarriors trot them out like . . . 'Burn in Righteous Fire' . . . and I would swear one was something about being a technological idolater.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2020, 19:59:53 »
I always think of Wing Commander's Privateer:  Righteous Fire- the Retros had all sorts of great things they would tell you as they were trying to kill you.

So yeah, if I actually put a L2 together with the 3 Celestials I have . . . they would be Righteous Fire, and I would be trying to get the sayings and have my mechwarriors trot them out like . . . 'Burn in Righteous Fire' . . . and I would swear one was something about being a technological idolater.

Wing Commander: Privateer. Not many remember that game anymore.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Register