Register Register

Author Topic: How do planetary militias work?  (Read 1584 times)

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
How do planetary militias work?
« on: 09 August 2022, 02:40:20 »
Militias don't seem to get much if any mention in any of the sourcebooks I own, though I assume they exist, so I'd kinda just like to know whatever I can about how they're used, what they use, how big they are, etc. I know it probably varies tremendously from house to house and planet to planet, but they don't seem to get much love from anyone at least. Thanks!

AlphaMirage

• Captain
Re: How do planetary militias work?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2022, 04:02:27 »
Basically they are a collection of mostly conventional forces that can be activated in time of war. Probably collections of prior service troops organized into infantry and armor formations with some Noble Battlemech support. Light, fastz cheap for the planetary government to support

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2022, 07:17:29 »
It also depends on the planet and it's wealth. If said planet has a healthy economy the milita often contains a handful of Mechs and more modern conventional forces then some poor world in the outback. For example the milita of Odessa during the FedCom civil war had a company of Mechs in addition to the conventional forces and 2 squadrons of Aerospace fighters.Also, former soldiers who retire to their homeworld after their tours od duty, become part of planetary militias bringing their Mech too. When it comes to training those men and women are basically "weekend soldiers"

Lanceman

• Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2022, 07:49:48 »
This is one of those things that varies wildly by the need of the plot. By all accounts, all but the poorest and least populated planets should be able to field a few regiments of infantry, vehicles, and conventional fighters, even if they are just "weekend warriors" activated in times of crisis. And when the plot the calls for a planet to have a stiff defense, they'll show up in droves. And when the plot calls for a single mech company to take an entire world, they'll be no planetary defenders to be found. It all circles back around to BattleTech's overall tiny military sizes.

"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2022, 09:27:22 »
You can also find a rough idea in a few sources.  The JFSB and WCSB give lists of defenders on the worlds invaded . . . the one I know off the top of my head and use, is that of Icar which had the 3rd Icar Armored Brigade.  This raises a question of what about the 1st and 2nd Armored Brigades?  What about the non-Armored Brigades?  The Free Worlds League has some structure that plays into this as well, we get listings in the FM:FWL where regional conventional forces are seconded to the federal/national mech regiments in support . . . so you will have xxth Planetwherever Infantry Regiment listed in support of the 88th Atrean Dragoons, for example.

The Objectives series PDFs also included suggested planetary/militia garrison size for those locations as well as any assigned national forces to those production/training worlds.  This takes into account that while say the 3rd Icar Armored Brigade might be a garrison force on that world, they are not likely to be able to consolidate the whole force onto a single battlefield.  For one it would uncover other possible targets . . . send everything to defend the spaceport and you leave the capital city's tokamak exposed to the enemy taking it over . . . which would cut a lot of the power available at the spaceport (it SHOULD have generators to power the essentials).  This also means that when you are attacking a world, the longer it takes you to capture the strategic objectives means the greater the chance of having reinforcements being fed into the battle because they can either finally get there or command decides it does not matter protecting something that is not obviously being fought over if the world is lost.

One other thing to consider is that while all of a state's national/federal military's mech forces are listed, they emphatically do NOT list out all the armor, infantry, or aerospace assets.  Bluntly, to the point that we never get ANY sort of navy listing for a House or Clan which for some factions causes a problem- FREX, the Blood Spirits follow the old Kerensky organization so clusters have no integral aerospace support and we never get a estimated size of their Aero forces.  For the Successor States, it is generally accepted the rough ratio is for each mech regiment there are 3 armored regiments and 5 infantry regiments . . . post-3050, the infantry regiments would also have Battle armor included.  IMO it would not be until after the Jihad that Battle Armor production is established enough that independent infantry regiments/brigades start getting enough BA to have more than a platoon or two as special ops or pathfinders.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2022, 10:30:06 »
Because of the semi-sovereign province system, the FWL works a little differently.  While some worlds do have actual militias, most of a province's military-- and especially those seconded to first line Mech regiments-- are actually standing armies equivalent to the "free" conventional regiments that get mentioned in historicals but don't show up in Field Manual ORBATs.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2022, 06:40:23 »
I back Colt’s comment about the Objective series of PDFs. Check them out, they offer a pretty detailed look local militias.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2022, 08:10:41 »
Think of your local National Guard units. Generally equipped with second hand gear and troops working a few weekends a year and available for callup in emergency. There is a reason some arms manufacturers exist like the makers of the Hetzer, Quikscell to build and supply the world's with smaller budgets and much farther back in the national supply chain.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2022, 10:13:50 »
Think of your local National Guard units. Generally equipped with second hand gear . . .

Actually that is not always the case, sometimes they get stuff before the Regulars as part of testing it out.  As far as their deployments, that has also not really been true for the last 20 years . . . and in some cases they out-performed Regulars, which really makes some types of O/NCOs grind their teeth.

To this point, you are- IMO- going to have a qualitative difference between a militia or noble guard on a border planet vs a interior world.  Worlds such as Axton and Acala would have better skilled planetary forces because they have a higher expectation of having to deal with Capellan forces than say Strawn . . . a world 3 jumps past the border Cappie border.

Other worlds that I would expect to have a better trained planetary force would be worlds like Goshen or Kathil.  Regional command centers or worlds that have important manufacturers & academies are going to have a higher number of prior service and/or retired veterans.  Regional command centers- basically where the region is named for the world- like Kathil, Melissia, Tamarind, Galedon, and more host large garrisons & support infrastructure for the region.  The planetary forces are going to have access to more/better training areas than the typical planetary military force, will be more likely to train against regulars, and more likely to have a better supply situation either due to largess from the regular forces or being able to piggyback purchases/shipping onto getting the regulars supplied.  Depending on organizational structures, you are also likely to get troops that do 1-3 tours and then sign up with planetary forces to continue serving until they reach whatever is retirement or other benefits.  We get this in one of the FCCW stories where Major David McCarthy, formerly of the Kathil Uhlans and survivor of Huntress, leaves active service to join the newly created Kathil militia.  Or Archer Christifori, who does about the same thing.  Both of them brought a huge amount of experience they try to impart to their soldiers, something other officers in their formations cannot bring coming up a local training command track.

BT war material factories also end up with regiments worth of defenders when you include the armor & infantry that support mechs- OR for something that does not merit a mech regiment but still needs protection you are likely to get more of the free/independent armor regiments.  Troops will often stay where they retire or muster out, so besides command center garrisons we also get the manufacturing center garrisons putting a lot of prior service/veteran into the local population.  Which again, will have a large portion join for benefits of one sort or another- FREX, I knew folks who left the Regulars to join Guard or Reserves because they would be able to get a promotion to the next rank . . . which was interesting because the Regulars would also take Guard & Reserves who joined back up at their existing rank.  Additionally, unless some how BT is totally different than current practices you will also get former Regulars and current planetary military forces working as factory security, test pilots/teams, or as part of 'civilian' support & contractors.  FREX, I was hired for a job when a government contractor contacted the local Guard unit asking if anyone in certain MOSs were interested in a temp contract job.  Why did they ask?  We all had security clearances needed for the job and were already trained to operate the software involved as well as being used to setting up command post operations . . . so they hired a bunch of college guys during that summer to run the operations testing for a weapon system, which lol, coincidentally did not operate tests on the weekend we had to drill for the two & a half months we worked for them.

What did the unit gain?  Well, the guys who did the contract gained familiarity with a similar weapons system which funny enough the whole unit transitioned to in 2 or 3 years when a re-organizational shuffle happened.  But it also had us using certain aspects of our military job as extra practice.  This is not a isolated incident, it happens a lot with military contractors who are building/improving systems . . . they hire veterans, Guards & Reservists from the applicable military jobs because they gain experience w/o having to train or run security clearance checks.  So expect the planetary military forces on places like Kathil, Galax, Coventry, Irian, St Ives and more to have folks who have a full time job using their experience on the payroll of the manufacturers.

Goshen and places like Small World are other examples of planetary military forces being better than perhaps expected.  Goshen has a military academy (a favorite of some FS fans) which means they are going to have more extensive training grounds and training options than many planetary militaries.  The planetary militaries are also likely to be invited as visiting 'OpFor' to the academy's cadets- especially if you had a Christifori or McCarthy type officer in the planetary forces.  Or for a learning experience regarding different types of combat . . . FREX, bring in the formation (mixed regiment, battalion, whatever) that is tasked with defending the capital and spaceport.  They would be expected to have trained and practiced urban combat, so you are slipping a ringer in against the cadets when it comes time for them to run urban combat exercises.  Small World was a AFFS-wide cold weather training world, the planetary noble renting out a large section of unused land for the AFFS to practice large cold weather combat training.  I would not expect units from the Draconis March to be sent there, but it was noted Duke Small got paid pretty well and appeared to have picked up 'surplus' equipment from the units rotating through the world.  My guess is he was given 'salvage' grade material that was deemed deadlined where the unit was going to get the replacement through the quartermasters- IE, why transport back deadlined equipment when you can get a new replacement shipped to your garrison post when the unit returns.

The only real problem there is, Small World is the ONLY training world like that I am aware of post-Star League.

Anyway, a few points to ponder.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2022, 11:44:59 »
Excellent essay.
New Hessen worked the same way as Small World, hiring portions of the planet out as training areas, and ofc there were the Dragoon training areas on Outreach. I'm sure there are more cases.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2022, 13:22:01 »
Outreach is why I said post-SL, since it was the Martial Olympiad world it was a SLDF training base.

But I imagine moving a whole unit to another planet for environmental training would, IMO be something that fell off if not with the end of the Star League at least by the end of 1SW.  I think this came back into being when Hanse started rolling out his Operation Galahads.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2022, 06:35:19 »
FM: FS, page 19. Tells us that planetary militias field mostly conventional armor and infantry. Numbering anywhere from a mixed regiment on the smallest planets to dozens of active and reserve regiments on the most populated ones. It also says since it must rely on the taxes collected on a planet, the planetary militia most commonly uses the oldest most outdated equipment unless they have a benefactor of some sort. They also receive hand-me-down equipment from the House military.

You are also more likely to see some specialized equipment in a planetary militia. Conventional aircraft and blue water naval vessels, are likely a lot more common among planetary militia than the larger armed forces. The former aren't as useful in space combat and the latter are often difficult to move between worlds, with a few notable exceptions.

In the book Historical: Brush Wars it provides a 1D6 table for "random garrison" to provide a defense for worlds that has no line units. The dice roll gets a +1 if the world is within 30 light year of a border, or was recently attacked. It gets a +2 if the world is a regional capital. Adding those modifiers a roll of 10 is the highest possible.

The lowest dice roll results in 2 infantry regiments and 1 armor regiment. It scales up from there, more infantry and armor regiments. A roll of 6 has 4 infantry regiments and 3 armor regiments. At a roll of 9+ the planet has 6 infantry regiments, 5 armor regiments, and 2 'mech battalions. A roll of 8 drops those numbers by 1 in each category.

It's just a random table tied to the Andurien War of Succession, but helpful.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2022, 06:39:01 by Alan Grant »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2022, 09:28:55 »
In the book Historical: Brush Wars it provides a 1D6 table for "random garrison" to provide a defense for worlds that has no line units. The dice roll gets a +1 if the world is within 30 light year of a border, or was recently attacked. It gets a +2 if the world is a regional capital. Adding those modifiers a roll of 10 is the highest possible.

The lowest dice roll results in 2 infantry regiments and 1 armor regiment. It scales up from there, more infantry and armor regiments. A roll of 6 has 4 infantry regiments and 3 armor regiments. At a roll of 9+ the planet has 6 infantry regiments, 5 armor regiments, and 2 'mech battalions. A roll of 8 drops those numbers by 1 in each category.

It's just a random table tied to the Andurien War of Succession, but helpful.

This is a really good bit, I either skimmed that or forgot about it.  The main thing to realize however is that you are not likely to fight all of that at once.  Consider of that roll of 9+ you would likely end up with at least a infantry regiment, a armor regiment, and one if not both mech battalions stationed at the capital which would also most likely (by BT culture/standards) have the planet's largest/best space port.  Attackers would ground/land on a plain outside the city before driving in . . . would probably face half the infantry with the rest forming the perimeter & screening . . . half to two thirds of the armor would face them, the amount depends on how fast they could shift companies  from setting a perimeter to the attacker's axis of advance.  All the mechs except maybe a lance or two of scouts working the opposite perimeter.

The reason I say this is the classic attacker vs defender decision . . . attackers have the initiative and can decide the point of attack to try to gain local numerical superiority.  The defender has to cover their bases but in enough strength they do not get wiped out in penny packets while being ready at all times.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2022, 13:29:18 »
Militias are a good excuse to boost mech numbers.  When you play Basttletech, either on the computer or in a scenario book therte are often no shortage of local forces and militia forces that dont end up on any faction roster.

Militias are the in game source of mooks to kill.  Yes many militias are infantry with a light tank and APC lance or so,  but often there are mechs too and in surprising numbers.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2022, 22:13:06 »
I look at the militias force like this.

They handle everything from Close Orbit and Aerospace Control Command:
           Secure tracking of the space, controls all fighters (aerospace and aircraft), Surface Defense (atmospheric air defense) and Orbital Defence. and handles Customs Operations
           Ground Command
           All fulltime Ground Forces, Naval Forces, and any VTOL not under the control COACC
           Security Force
           Might be local cops like Texas Rangers of old or KGB style forces
           Reserve Command
           All Reserve Forces that can be called up in an emergency

Now how well they all work together... depends on the ruler here is an example
Duke Leonard Beissel of the planet Saravan, LC
Duke Leonard Beissel of the planet Saravan, LC
has his personal guard, recruited from family, retainers and Merc forces (Vet to Elite) has authoriation to go just about anywhere.  Mixed force
Police Force = mostly units design to deal with criminals and rioters (Green) if forced into combat
         will have a few specially units (SWAT, a few light mechs which can do both combat as well as search and rescue) mostly assign near the Capital
Defense Force = design to fight off any invader force, not normally based in the capital, and unless ordered in any move into the capital is considered an act of a rebellian.  Scattered into forts/bases all over the planet.  (Reg)
Close Orbit and Aerospace Control Command Commands anything the Duke owns which can fly and which can engage enemy above the planet surface.
Security Force In theory totally loyal to the Duke, they are spread out all over the place looking for disloyal people, green if in mass combat, but used in small squads with jobs like sniper or sabotage or terror act could be reg or vet.  It is beleived that most command level people are covered/have 1 on thier staff with job to hurt/kill them and family if they go Rogue

Now in theory you would need to turn 3 or more succssfully to overthow the Duke without outside forces or limited.  The Duke has limited the amount of power in any one person hands

now a drunk or upset HaulerMech pilot who or someone dealing with grand theft mech who has decided to take the unit though the capital, would deal with the police and special squads to stop it.  Maybe if it got to close be brought down by the Duke guards.

Of course then you can run into the farther the Duke Leonard Beissel of the planet Saravan, LC breaks down his "security forces" to help secure his powerbase, the weaker we become should anyone really land to invade as we conflicting chains of command issuing possible conflicting orders.
Example the Navy and the Harbor Police and Fish and Game Wardens all working on the waters end up issuing orders that do not help each other but in the end allow the raiders to slip back out from the conflict zone.

But the good news is to assemble a coup force against the Duke is very differcult.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2022, 15:20:55 »
FM: FS, page 19. Tells us that planetary militias field mostly conventional armor and infantry. Numbering anywhere from a mixed regiment on the smallest planets to dozens of active and reserve regiments on the most populated ones. It also says since it must rely on the taxes collected on a planet, the planetary militia most commonly uses the oldest most outdated equipment unless they have a benefactor of some sort. They also receive hand-me-down equipment from the House military.

You are also more likely to see some specialized equipment in a planetary militia. Conventional aircraft and blue water naval vessels, are likely a lot more common among planetary militia than the larger armed forces. The former aren't as useful in space combat and the latter are often difficult to move between worlds, with a few notable exceptions.

A few things I recall from the House Book series in the 80's.

EVERY world in the FS is required to pay for at least 1 Planetary Guard regiment (PUG) of Infantry, IE the "Ugly Pugs".

In the CapCon the same "Minimum" for each world is 2 Infantry battalions, 50% of which have a Light Tank company.  (Soo... 12 Scorpion/Vedette + 5-6 Foot Companies)

One of the higher strategic games, IS@W?, had every world as having a minimum of 1 Light AS Fighter wing, which, given what we know about militias means it was probably Conventional Fighters instead of Aero Fighters, but, the rule was ASF so I like to think of it as a mix of the 2, say 2 Squads Medium Strike Fighters & 1 of your local House Light ASF.

As Colt mentioned, ICAR had at least 1 Mechanized/Armored brigade.

Meanwhile Tikonov in the 4th SW had something like 80 conventional regiments.

So as you see, it can really vary based on the importance of the world & probably also it's location near the boarder.

Something in the middle of the Crucis march w/o any factories or major resources is likely a single PUG.  And no Regular Army Garrison

Border of the CapCon w/ a big population & some industry in the form of raw resource mines for Armor/Structure might have a full Brigade+ of Militia & an AFFS Line Regiment of Infantry or Mixed Brigade.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2022, 15:55:41 »
Honestly, using the 1/3/5 metric, I would say it would be reasonable for border worlds to have 1 federal infantry regiment and a armor battalion 'standard' as their garrison on top of whatever the locals raise.  The benefit to that is folks will 'retire' from those national units and join their local planetary forces- either as regulars/cadre or part-timers- and raise the quality of the militia . . . and might even lead to overstrength units.  I could also see border planet militias developing most support for the local national force-

"Hey, let's make that VTOL transport squadron 16 birds instead of 12, they can also be on call to help move the 573rd Federated Suns Infantry Division if they need to rapidly redeploy in the even of a attack."
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2022, 17:34:07 »
There are also "militias" that are excuses for social clubs.  TROP 3026 and the Sea Skimmer entry- the New Glasgow Yacht Club on Skye.

Of course when the Combine invaded they proved to be more than spoiled kids... the last oof the unit carrying and detonating a nuke to the Manty River Dam.  The subsequent detonation flooded the farm land and prevented the Kurita attack.

So a Militia can be anything... but I think the minimum of 1 Regiment makes sense.

There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2022, 20:06:23 »
I did a whole thread on Glenmora's militia after the 4th Succession War... it's also linked in my sig block...  ^-^

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2022, 22:41:26 »
Honestly, using the 1/3/5 metric, I would say it would be reasonable for border worlds to have 1 federal infantry regiment and a armor battalion 'standard' as their garrison on top of whatever the locals raise.
IIRC there is more than enough AFFS Regulars Line Infantry to have at least 1 regiment per world in the FS on top of the PUG unit.
But, I didn't want to say that it IS that way since I suppose some world might get none to make up for worlds that get more than 1.
The AFFS Garrison/Defense Brigades with IIRC 3-8 Infantry & 0-2 Tank Regiments each make for a solid figure on any relatively useful world but I could also see a single brigade be assigned to cover a few worlds w/in 1 jump that are not important.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2022, 08:08:53 »
The original sourcebooks set out parameters for fairly weak militias (2 battalions of infantry and a light tank company per world), and then were immediately contradicted by the Atlas of the 4th Succession War (30 regiments of conventional militia defending Tikonov).

Circa 3025:
Federated Suns: Planetary Guard Units were described as "a regiment of infantry scouts"
Capellan Confederation: Planetary militia were two battalions of infantry in fortifications, with one light armor company.  Backed by Home Guard of two battalions of jump/mechanized infantry and a heavy tank battalion.
Free Worlds League: Static Defense Units - size/strength varies by planet due to local funding.  Fits local conditions - armor, infantry, conventional air, naval, submarine, artillery
Lyran Commonwealth: Militia is described as "regiments of armor, infantry, and artillery" but left it vague as to whether that was "one combined arms regiment" or "one regiment of each" per world.
Draconis Combine: Militia was never mentioned at all.

For 3050+:
Hot Spots had the first formal militia generation guidelines.  Basically, stronger and better equipped closer to hostile borders, weaker on quiet interior worlds.

Objectives updated those guidelines, and also gave rules of thumb for corporate security.

And there have been cases were local militias got so much firepower that they got upgraded to being front line combat formations.  The old Succession Wars game included pieces for the Samarkand Militia, Matar Militia, Chian Militia, and Kessel Militia.  Likewise, Archer Christifori's planetary militia is able to take on Lyran line forces during the FedCom Civil War.

Interestingly enough, even the Clans have militia formations, per Warriors of Kerensky, under the command of the Loremaster.  Presumably these are a dumping ground for freebirth warriors, dezgra trueborns, and those who have failed enough Trials of Position to reach the bottom of the touman, and their mandate is to guard enclaves that lack Front Line or Second Line garrisons against dark caste raids.  We haven't seen much of this force, leading me to suspect it's largely a Kerensky Cluster thing, and wasn't replicated in the Inner Sphere to any great degree.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 22 September 2022, 09:06:16 »
Interestingly enough, even the Clans have militia formations, per Warriors of Kerensky, under the command of the Loremaster.  Presumably these are a dumping ground for freebirth warriors, dezgra trueborns, and those who have failed enough Trials of Position to reach the bottom of the touman, and their mandate is to guard enclaves that lack Front Line or Second Line garrisons against dark caste raids.  We haven't seen much of this force, leading me to suspect it's largely a Kerensky Cluster thing, and wasn't replicated in the Inner Sphere to any great degree.

I would say the Hellions made these their 'flurry' units . . . but I would also suspect they are mixed up with the paramilitary police.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 22 September 2022, 11:17:06 »
The original sourcebooks set out parameters for fairly weak militias (2 battalions of infantry and a light tank company per world), and then were immediately contradicted by the Atlas of the 4th Succession War (30 regiments of conventional militia defending Tikonov).
Is that really a contradiction though?
The CapCon & FS descriptions are listed as the "Minimum".   
Tikonov is anything but a minor world.
Wasn't it 80 Regiments?

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 22 September 2022, 11:19:23 »
I would say the Hellions made these their 'flurry' units . . . but I would also suspect they are mixed up with the paramilitary police.
I think the real issue is we aren't talking about galaxies of solhama infantry for these roles.
Each clan has an enclave, most of the time its not even the whole world.
So really, your probably looking at something along the lines of a Binary of leg infantry.  (1 IS Battalion)
Enough for security at a factory or major facility but its not regiments of tanks or anything.  (IMO)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2022, 11:20:57 »
Wasn't it 80 Regiments?

You are correct.  It was 30 for another world.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 22 September 2022, 11:39:35 »
One of the other issues with the sources though is you get one source listing for the whole world while another world is listing what might be present for a raid encounter, where it is going to be what can respond in a timely manner.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2022, 16:29:15 »
One of the other issues with the sources though is you get one source listing for the whole world while another world is listing what might be present for a raid encounter, where it is going to be what can respond in a timely manner.

This is a big one in my mind. Militia as presented in a specific instance, like the defense of a particular area on a planet. Or militia on-duty on that particular Tuesday. Or the militia that is available on short notice without the time needed for a mass mobilization. It's not always clear to what depths the writers are speaking to.

Another issue is a healthy degree of author/story fluff making to suit a narrative. It always struck me as odd that the Thorin Militia only consisted of a single combined-arms battalion. But that made them the underdog against the single combined arms regiment of Arcturan Guards in a novel.

It's not nearly as sensible an underdog BT novel story if the Thorin Militia assembling resembles that Lord of the Rings-Two Towers scene where Saruman addresses 10,000 Orcs from a tower.

"Leave none alive... to war!" - Archer Christifori addressing 10 regiments of cheering Thorin Militia tankers and infantry.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2022, 16:32:52 by Alan Grant »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2022, 21:00:54 »
i would presume the Thorin Militia only represented the units that were 'full time', that is the mech and vehicle units, as well as a cadre force of infantry. i would presume that the planet could have drawn up a rather large force of conventional infantry that trained maybe once a month and would be called up in the event of a major attack, but otherwise lived normal civilian lives. the force in the book certainly didn't feel like 'weekend warriors' by any stretch, and it seems likely that most militia in BT have multiple levels of involvement, from full time units meant to form the backbone of a defense and be the quick reaction to an attack, to part time units which train regularly and are 'on call' in event of attack, to reserve units that basically are little more than service clubs that train for a bit each year and only get called up in the event of a major invasion or a major natural disaster.

drjones

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 24 September 2022, 12:27:31 »
Would the garrisons mentioned in Interstellar Operations under the Inner Sphere at War section  (pg. 368) represent planetary militia? If so, the tables found there might give an idea of the composition of militia forces. To give an idea of the potential forces, the Random Garrisons Table allows for garrisons ranging from two infantry regiments and one armor battalion on the low end to seven infantry regiments, six armor battalions, and three 'Mech battalions on the high end.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 24 September 2022, 13:24:05 »
Would the garrisons mentioned in Interstellar Operations under the Inner Sphere at War section  (pg. 368) represent planetary militia? If so, the tables found there might give an idea of the composition of militia forces. To give an idea of the potential forces, the Random Garrisons Table allows for garrisons ranging from two infantry regiments and one armor battalion on the low end to seven infantry regiments, six armor battalions, and three 'Mech battalions on the high end.

That's probably a good  "typical"  range of Militia.

2 Regiments is technically above the bare bones minimum that the house books mention & 3 battalions of mechs is a bit under what a planetary capital can muster in Mech Militia from what we have seen on New Avalon & Luthien invasions IIRC, but, I'd call that a good range to be sure.

It's not the extremes on either end, but its a good "average" representation.

Register