Register Register

Author Topic: IS Police Forces?  (Read 5612 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: IS Police Forces?
« Reply #120 on: 26 October 2021, 00:40:16 »
One key thing to remember when assessing 'Mechs for non-combat roles is: Does it make sense that it's being used? A lot of mecha settings just use mecha whenever without thinking about does it make sense to do this, and this can make people walk away. As an example modern trucks weigh 40 tons, carry 20 tons of cargo, and can move at least 100 km per hour, so unless your cargo 'Mech design can match this it won't exist in universe.

RifleMech

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 26 October 2021, 02:14:44 »
The Uni says otherwise. 
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Uni

It isn't just about what Mechs can do but where they can go. That truck is limited by terrain a lot more than a mech is.

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #122 on: 26 October 2021, 04:05:39 »
Most of the police units we have stats for are riot infantry, which tend to use things like shotguns, stunsticks, tranq guns, riot shields (so what do those provide in TW scale?), etc.

It did make me wonder, though...what would your standard police officer be carrying?  Do you give them a slug-thrower pistol, which might punch a hole through their target, or a laser pistol, which, well, causes part of them to potentially asplode as the water in their flesh boils?  Stunstick replaces the nightstick/tonfa, and sonic stunners in place of where modern police might use tasers.  A pump shotgun with the option for less-lethal rounds seems an obvious choice, like it is today,

As for bigger stuff, like SecurityMechs...does anyone else remember the arcade game ESWAT?  There was a version for the Sega Genesis, too.  In it, beyond the SWAT team's special weapons and tactics were power-armor equipped police with "Extra Special Weapons and Tactics".  Any SecurityMech-equipped or PA(L)-equipped police would most certainly fall under one of those two camps, and would be comparatively rarer than the other types of police.
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

RifleMech

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: 27 October 2021, 07:45:17 »
Most of the police units we have stats for are riot infantry, which tend to use things like shotguns, stunsticks, tranq guns, riot shields (so what do those provide in TW scale?), etc.

Riot Shields don't do anything. I would have thought it'd give them a damage divisor or something, like armor, but it doesn't. :(

It did make me wonder, though...what would your standard police officer be carrying?  Do you give them a slug-thrower pistol, which might punch a hole through their target, or a laser pistol, which, well, causes part of them to potentially asplode as the water in their flesh boils?  Stunstick replaces the nightstick/tonfa, and sonic stunners in place of where modern police might use tasers.  A pump shotgun with the option for less-lethal rounds seems an obvious choice, like it is today,

Depends on the department but I think slug throwers would be common. It does make me wonder though if infantry energy weapons can be dialed down to 0 like vehicle scale weapons.

As for bigger stuff, like SecurityMechs...does anyone else remember the arcade game ESWAT?  There was a version for the Sega Genesis, too.  In it, beyond the SWAT team's special weapons and tactics were power-armor equipped police with "Extra Special Weapons and Tactics".  Any SecurityMech-equipped or PA(L)-equipped police would most certainly fall under one of those two camps, and would be comparatively rarer than the other types of police.

First I've seen it. Sounds fun though. :)  Mostly I think of mech using police I think of Patlabor, Dominion: Tank Police, Bubble Gun Crisis/AD Police's AD Police and Macross 7's; Police Department. Police using BA/PAL would fall under those used by the AD Police.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #124 on: 27 October 2021, 18:18:38 »
Don't forget Appleseed...  8)

Register