Register Register

Author Topic: Lawyers for Mercenaries  (Read 1960 times)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
Re: Lawyers for Mercenaries
« Reply #30 on: 01 June 2022, 10:15:46 »
Also in Schlock . . . which is what spawned this question.  I was sort of thinking of fluffing them out on Galatea for fun.
They'll diagnose and repair that untraceable actuator problem in your 'Mech then review and troubleshoot that pesky contract with the Lyrans.
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 01 June 2022, 10:38:13 »
Lol, I was also thinking of being the lawyers that draw up the loan contract for mechs or other equipment.

Odds of sneaking in a penalty clause, for deploying the mech to a combat zone before 50% of the principle is paid, being included . . .?  Then imagine the payment structure they would arrange.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #32 on: 01 June 2022, 23:42:56 »
Lol, I was also thinking of being the lawyers that draw up the loan contract for mechs or other equipment.

Odds of sneaking in a penalty clause, for deploying the mech to a combat zone before 50% of the principle is paid, being included . . .?  Then imagine the payment structure they would arrange.

Heh. Given that Tom and Ray Magliozzi went to M.I.T., I'd imagine every clause in the contract would be written using a Byzantine "if-then-else" statement dictated in Latin and transscribed into binary code.
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #33 on: 10 June 2022, 11:19:18 »
But that is ALSO why you have a REALLY good Status of Forces clause in your contract- your troops SHOULD be shielded from local jurisdiction and any criminal let alone civil matters referred to merc liaison.
Like I said, you better have a good contract lawyer on call, if not on staff. :D

Prospernia

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 14 June 2022, 20:43:24 »
Lawyers are experts in non-lethal dispute-resolutions. So, being able to resolve conflicts before the escalate to violence is a plus for a Merc-unit.