Register Register

Author Topic: Light Mech survivability  (Read 596 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
Light Mech survivability
« on: 09 September 2021, 05:34:25 »
One of the things I find with light mechs is that it comes down to the best mix or speed and armor. I know it sounds odd to worry about armor on a light mech, but speed can only save you so long and eventually something will hit you. Being able to take at least a medium laser hit or LRM cluster to the chest is a good idea.

That being said, what do you think are the Succession War Era light mechs with the best speed and armor combination? I would put the Firestarter on that list.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Re: Light Mech survivability
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2021, 08:03:10 »
JVN-10F Fire Javelin: 30 tons, 6 tons armor, moves 6/9/6, 4 medium lasers and 12 HS.

JR7-F Jenner: 35 tons, 7 tons armor, moves 7/11/5, 4 medium lasers and 10 HS

FS9-M Firestarter Mirage: 35 tons, 7.5 tons armor, moves 6/9/6, 2x each ML/SL/MG's and 11 HS

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2021, 08:44:23 »
I would add the Mongoose (introtech downgrade version) to that list.  The speed is better than the previously listed entries, and the armor isn't all that far behind.

DEFINITELY agree with the JR7-F and FS9-M "Mirage"; the Javelin is a bit more "iffy" in my opinion.

The LCT-1V is a borderline case, as it's fast enough to avoid most hits and can survive a surprising amount of abuse while still remaining viable, although the pitiful "arms" with the MGs will vaporize with one hit.

Ruger

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2021, 09:18:00 »
The Spider-5V tends to be faster and more mobile than most opponents, and with both of its medium lasers in the CT, its hands are free to punch while it also fires its weapons. Armor is not great, but it can usually get high movement modifiers to offset that.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2021, 12:53:31 »
I would add the Mongoose (introtech downgrade version) to that list.  The speed is better than the previously listed entries, and the armor isn't all that far behind.

DEFINITELY agree with the JR7-F and FS9-M "Mirage"; the Javelin is a bit more "iffy" in my opinion.

The LCT-1V is a borderline case, as it's fast enough to avoid most hits and can survive a surprising amount of abuse while still remaining viable, although the pitiful "arms" with the MGs will vaporize with one hit.

Dang it I forgot about the Mongoose. Yep it's solid.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2021, 17:23:55 »
The "bigger" light mechs will always have more armor & be "better"

But there are plenty of lower end ones that are still quite survivable.

Stinger-3G
Locust-1E
Mercury-96?  (The intro tech one that is basically a Locust w/ Arms)

Each of those has near-max armor & no ammo to boom.

Actually the Ostscout might be the MOST survivable of all Intro Lights because its got the fastest speed (Tied w/ Spider) while having most Armor/Internals (Better than Spider) going for it.

Seriously, I've been playing since the mid 80's & never once have I lost an Ostscout that I can recall.

« Last Edit: 10 September 2021, 17:26:17 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2021, 00:47:59 »
JR7-F Jenner: 35 tons, 7 tons armor, moves 7/11/5, 4 medium lasers and 10 HS
I have a buddy who loves those damm things, they end up making him the master of the backstabbing
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Teulisch

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2021, 09:33:45 »
I agree with the ostscout being the most survivable (the spider lacks an ejection seat after all). but the Falcon from TRO 3039 deserves mention as well. 6/9/6 with 6t armor at 30 tons, putting it on par with the javelin. medium laser, 2 MG, 2 small lasers. which is kind of strange, as it has 12 heat sinks but can only generate 11 heat (heat neutral if the 2 small lasers get replaced with a medium).

really, heat is a key component of survival. can you run or jump AND fire your weapons? cause if not, then you have to choose between staying alive or shooting back. how often can you alpha while you stay mobile? some mechs (like the jenner) run HOT very fast, often while also carrying ammo. a shut down mech is a dead mech, but cooking off your ammo is worse.

Metallgewitter

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2021, 18:51:30 »
What about the Valkyrie? Sure it isn't the fastest light of the SW era but with it's weaponry it usually has a safe spot and if necessary can escape into broken terrain since not all light Scout hunters have jump jets (looking at you Wolfhound). Plus it has decent armor protection for it's size.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2021, 17:05:10 »
My son and I are currently running an against the bots campaign on Megmek set in 3023 using only light mech. I had initially thought having 6 mechs to a lance would be a good idea to increase our chances of succeeding in the scnearios and reasoned it that the captain was a former Free Worlds Leaguer who converted the long platoon idea from vehicles to mechs. When my son said we should use the Comstar rank structure before seeing that I had six mechs in each lance it fit even better.

So far we are four missions in (five if you count the mission we completed only to have the program crash as we were saving the result) and we have yet to lose a mech. Each lance consists of one each of four variants of the Firestarter, a Valkyrie (my son like LRMs) and a Panther (he likes PPCs too ;D). We did end up having to repair a gyro hit and replace a jump jet on a Firestarter and we have given out at least three Purple Hearts, but so far we have been very successful. One of the more recent missions saw us go against a pack of medium and light tanks. We finished it in turn five or six.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2021, 17:26:40 »
4 Firestarters...  So your lance is a War Crime just waiting to happen...  8)   WOB members?
So that FS9 C, H, K, M??  I have used the K model before because it a shock when the Firestarter pegs someone at range...
Nothing wrong with some Panther Loving.. or the Heavy Mech that got shrunk in the wash..  :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2021, 02:04:14 »
Firestarter A, H, K and M.

Alzer

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2021, 06:54:25 »
What about the Valkyrie? Sure it isn't the fastest light of the SW era but with it's weaponry it usually has a safe spot and if necessary can escape into broken terrain since not all light Scout hunters have jump jets (looking at you Wolfhound). Plus it has decent armor protection for it's size.

I'll second the Valkyrie. Not terribly mobile for a light, but its armor and weapons profile combined with its mobility does allow it to stay safe most missions. Able to scout ahead for heavier mechs andd fall back to provide fire support once the enemy us found.  Also capable of punching up enemy lights if they cross paths while scouting.

I haven't seen the Ostscout much but they are an absolute pain to kill. Pretty sure the only time I managed it took a Fire Jav that had initiative and was able to get in and kick it down.
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2021, 09:06:13 »
Let us not forget the fastest Light 'Mech of the original 3025 TRO: the Hermes I.  At 9/14 speed, carrying relatively respectable armor for its tonnage, it's VERY survivable in a scouting role, unless it tries to tangle with something it should be running away from (which includes practically everything else out there).  Not very powerful, but possibly the most "survivable", since there's not a lot that can catch it.

To me, the VLK isn't all that survivable, due to its mediocre speed.  There are too many designs out there that can both outgun and outrun it, and its feeble short-ranged weapons array (one ML) isn't going to be a very serious threat to them.  As long as the front lines hold and nothing can get through to it, it's fairly safe, but if things go sour, you're going to be hard-pressed to get away if anyone wants to go after you.  I'd give it a significant lead over a Panther in that regard (which really can't even run away from most Heavies), but piloting one is still a bigger risk than with most of the faster Lights.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2021, 09:36:54 »
I have had a lot of success of late with the Valkyrie and the Firebee of all mechs in an Against the Bot Campaign. Both have a good range weapon compared to others of their class but the armor and jump capability to make hitting th and doing real damage mir difficult. I have had to do less repair work on them as I had to on the Firestarters and much less than on the Falcons. The all laser Jenner has also done well.

I am a big fan of the Mongoose but as yet have found nothing to pair it with. Maybe I will take another look at the Hermes.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2021, 09:44:33 »
Let us not forget the fastest Light 'Mech of the original 3025 TRO: the Hermes I.  At 9/14 speed, carrying relatively respectable armor for its tonnage, it's VERY survivable in a scouting role,
/cough........... NOT actually in the Original TRO:3025........./cough 
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

CVB

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2021, 09:46:28 »
Let us not forget the fastest Light 'Mech of the original 3025 TRO: the Hermes I.  At 9/14 speed, carrying relatively respectable armor for its tonnage, it's VERY survivable in a scouting role, unless it tries to tangle with something it should be running away from (which includes practically everything else out there).  Not very powerful, but possibly the most "survivable", since there's not a lot that can catch it.

Minor nitpick: The Hermes I is from TRO:2750, the original TRO3025 had the Hermes II.

ninja'd, sorry
*"But we don't play Battletech to have Simple" - NavPoint

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!