Register Register

Author Topic: Mercenary Commands in 3150?  (Read 3054 times)

five_corparty

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mercenary Commands in 3150?
« Reply #30 on: 29 November 2021, 16:47:36 »
Shrapnel Issue #1: ELH 11th Recon Battalion rebuilding under Major Amelia Donovan.

roger, the 11th BN's (presumably) Rear-D built itself back up into a full BN (probably with other stay-behind elements) while the "forward" elements of the 11th got absorbed into the GS.  But... yeah.  They were killed HARD and then suddenly alive and killed AGAIN.  I don't envy the authors working THOSE stories!  :D ;D (but, as a fan, I can't wait to READ them!!)

personally, I get the situation TPTB are in: they're stuck with products from a decade ago that says these merc units survived, and now they have to explain why.  I REALLY like how they did it with the GDL, TBH, I really feel like it's a brand new unit that just has the colors of the old.  And I'm okay with that, since, you know, even if everyone HAD survived the Jihad they'd be dead from old age ANYWAYS.  I'm cool with new characters commanding legacy units.

I'm also cool with SOME units coming back (like the ceti hussars separating from the AFFS, and hopefully the MAC and northwind highlanders hanging out their "for-hire" signs) but I'm also ready for some fresh blood to know and love.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2021, 16:49:14 by five_corparty »

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2021, 17:10:21 »
Looking forwards to reading the final two instalments in the ELH cycle to find out what happens, the last two deal with the events on Hesperus and the start of the IlClan age if i'm remembering correctly.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 29 November 2021, 17:19:14 »
I'm also cool with SOME units coming back (like the ceti hussars separating from the AFFS, and hopefully the MAC and northwind highlanders hanging out their "for-hire" signs) but I'm also ready for some fresh blood to know and love.

But wouldn't that be only part of the Ceti Hussars? I mean the Ceti Hussars were enlarged when the Lexington combat GHroup decided to become House soldiers. so I would suspect that not all Hussars will become mercenary again.

five_corparty

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 29 November 2021, 21:34:35 »
But wouldn't that be only part of the Ceti Hussars? I mean the Ceti Hussars were enlarged when the Lexington combat GHroup decided to become House soldiers. so I would suspect that not all Hussars will become mercenary again.

ah, that's what I meant, was typing fast and was distracted.  you are 100% correct, my friend!  :)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 29 November 2021, 22:01:40 »
The ELH was a more recent thing . . . they were in MWDA, which means the Jihad had to be written so some survived . . . well, a few did and they were just not the size.  Herb & Co killed them off on Hesperus in FM or ER 3145- finito.  The Falcons & Horses literally had weeks of nothing else to do but hunt down any Ponies trying to hide out in the island of habitability on a hostile world.  And Malvina was not interested in bondsmen.

But hey, now they are back.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2021, 02:04:45 »
The destruction of the ELH was caused by RL matters that forced the writers' hands.

We don't have a good measure for how large they were before their destruction. We know that they were commanded by a Lieutenant General, which suggests a multi-regiment force, but that's far from a confirmation. Likewise, we know that the 50th Heavy Cavalry Battalion (the Bloody Half-Hundred) were operational as of 3135 (Major Franklin Kroger, MWDA Uniques) which would suggest that their parent command, the 151st Light Horse Regiment, also was operational.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #36 on: 30 November 2021, 10:30:04 »
The destruction of the ELH was caused by RL matters that forced the writers' hands.

Which is fine, they were just written to have been destroyed on Hesperus.  Did FM3145 give them a actual strength as part of the defense against the Falcons?  I would go with at least a regiment and a half as well as combined arms- FREX, Lore Kyle sounds like a battalion commander.  Btw, her entry DOES describe how they survived on Dieron and contributed to Stone's Coalition- like pulling in fragments, in the case of her mech some Nova Cat survivors.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #37 on: 30 November 2021, 16:46:16 »
could be worse.. could have been "death by writer oversight", like the Black Thorns.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 30 November 2021, 17:04:02 »
Been there . . . *coughFullMooncough*
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 01 December 2021, 00:17:42 »
The Black Thorns were death by (admittedly hilarious) oversight. The Full Moon is a case where there was a plan but it didn't make it into the final book. World of difference.

As said above, there's no strength given for the ELH at the time of their destruction. We can assume more then one regiment, but how many is unknown. Even then, it needs to be said that they were one of the largest mercenary units in the Inner Sphere at that point.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 01 December 2021, 01:08:15 »
don't forget some units will be listed as destroy (aka no longer combat effective) but still be operational with new hires and store surplus cache and so on.  There a reason in some field manauls may list one units destroy multiple times in some engagement.  As they units may be effective destroy then rebuild taking in battle orphens (stray from other units) be sent back into the front (most likely understrength) and be classified as destroy again.  Only for the core to survive and rebuild once the fighting stop.  With the Light Horse.  they are such a big outfit that not all member may had been in on sight when they were destroy.  Some may had been in some otherworld rebuilding or busy training new recruits.  not to mention some may even had escape the net and rejoin months. later. 

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #41 on: 01 December 2021, 08:04:17 »
I'm hoping that there will be more stories about Snord's Irregulars. Apparently they are still around, I always found them more interesting than other units.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #42 on: 02 December 2021, 04:47:47 »
ER3145 only mentions the destruction of the ELH's fighting force, but says nothing of its dependents either way. It's a fair assumption that they could have been off-world or otherwise away from the fighting; after all, the surface of Hesperus II is pretty damn uninhabitable. Logically they'd either be in the dropships or some of the world's underground complexes if anywhere

I'm hoping that there will be more stories about Snord's Irregulars. Apparently they are still around, I always found them more interesting than other units.

Not gonna lie when I say I'd be happy if we never saw them again

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2815
« Reply #43 on: 05 December 2021, 15:59:17 »
I'm hoping recent events in the ilClan SB concerning the Big MAC might mean it could potentially go merc again.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #44 on: 05 December 2021, 16:20:27 »
That certainly sounds like what they are doing. It is incredibly dumb, but at least its a dumb that hurts the Capellans for the first the time since the 80's.
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

Templar87

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 05 December 2021, 16:22:18 »
I'm hoping recent events in the ilClan SB concerning the Big MAC might mean it could potentially go merc again.

The problem there is that, well, they're really hard up in that case for people who're willing to hire them, thanks to their long-term reputation for, A) being House Liao's personal beatstick, and B) war crimes (lots and lots of war crimes). Well, maybe the Lyrans are desperate enough, and the Combine wouldn't care most likely, but the FedSuns and FWL - really the only places practical for the MAC to get to if they decide they've had enough of serving the Liaos - are very much, " ... And you can go straight to Hell!" as far as attitudes towards the MAC goes; they've been on the receiving end of B from the MAC far too often to just get over it.

Ultimately, the worst thing to come out of Chesterton have tied themselves too tightly to the Confederation, by their own actions, to make it as mercs given the circumstances prevailing.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 05 December 2021, 17:12:11 »

The problem there is that, well, they're really hard up in that case for people who're willing to hire them, thanks to their long-term reputation for, A) being House Liao's personal beatstick, and B) war crimes (lots and lots of war crimes). Well, maybe the Lyrans are desperate enough, and the Combine wouldn't care most likely, but the FedSuns and FWL - really the only places practical for the MAC to get to if they decide they've had enough of serving the Liaos - are very much, " ... And you can go straight to Hell!" as far as attitudes towards the MAC goes; they've been on the receiving end of B from the MAC far too often to just get over it.

Ultimately, the worst thing to come out of Chesterton have tied themselves too tightly to the Confederation, by their own actions, to make it as mercs given the circumstances prevailing.

Alaric conquered half the inner sphere and terra with no problems whatsoever ever, something like logic isn’t gonna stop the Big MAC from going merc if tptb want it

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 05 December 2021, 18:06:21 »
With the Lyrans so desperate, that would be a state that would want Big Mac's.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #48 on: 06 December 2021, 02:21:37 »
At this point, I don't think any employer is going to say no to five regiments of experienced and well-equipped troops. Not only are the Big MAC a powerful unit, but there's also the real risk that your opponent might hire them instead.

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 06 December 2021, 02:30:38 »
And if I really hate them that much, I can still send them through a meat grinder.
"Welcome to the FWL. Your first mission is a Long March through the Wolf Empire, the final target is to take Hesperus!"
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time." - David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

CJC070

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 06 December 2021, 10:27:20 »
Also consider we may not see the entire MAC going merc and most groups looking for mercenaries would look at the loyalty they showed the Capellans.  Not to mention how many rogue FWL units formed mercenary commands and came out on top and the Wolfs Dragoon’s will probably looking for people to bolster their units.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2815
« Reply #51 on: 06 December 2021, 19:20:48 »
Also consider we may not see the entire MAC going merc...

Oh, I think it's probably more likely that Danai is being given the beginnings of her own power base to challenge/topple Daoshen with. But still, the faint hope that a mercenary Big MAC might ride again is tantalizing.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 06 December 2021, 22:23:12 »
Also consider we may not see the entire MAC going merc and most groups looking for mercenaries would look at the loyalty they showed the Capellans.  Not to mention how many rogue FWL units formed mercenary commands and came out on top and the Wolfs Dragoon’s will probably looking for people to bolster their units.

The MAC might offer a discount if the target  is a traditional Capellan enemy (i.e. FedSuns or FWL).  Basically the MAC gets to attack Capellan enemies, and since other people pay them to do so it costs the Capellan state nothing.