Register Register

Author Topic: Mercenary Commands in 3150?  (Read 6199 times)

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mercenary Commands in 3150?
« Reply #60 on: 01 May 2022, 06:49:54 »
There was also a bit in a novel/novella that mentions the return of The Knights of Saint Cameron. Also Blaine Lee Pardoe has mentioned in the past he has some Sourcebook/Novel/Novella coming about Snord's Irregulars.

Ah the Knights of St. Cameron. the ones who did the "vanishing act" during the Jihad and took the remnants of Archer's Avengers with them. Maybe we get a hint where they vanished to the souce book for Interstellar Groups gave a hint that the Order has a secret homeworld where they hid a lot of treasures / libraries from the Vatican. Maybe even the holy Grail of all lostech propectors: a complete copy of the Prometheus database

Oh and if the Big Mac abandons House Liao: might the Galatean League be up to hire them? IF said League is still alive and has not come under the wheels of the Mary Sue Wolves
« Last Edit: 01 May 2022, 14:42:51 by Metallgewitter »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 01 May 2022, 10:01:34 »
Morning all, couple of quick questions.

Other than Wolf's Dragoons do any other mercenary commands use the base 5 organisation?

Am I right in thinking that other than Lindon's Battalion the other original 5 mercenary commands are still active in the game?

what were the other 4?  WDs, MAC, and my mind is slipping on the other two...

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 01 May 2022, 10:29:12 »
The original 5 from BattleDroids and Battletech 2nd Ed. boxes were Hansen's Roughrider (Steiner), ELH and Lindon's Battalion (both Davion), 21st Centauri Lancers (Marik) and Wolf's Dragoons (Kurita). Nothing for Liao.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 01 May 2022, 10:38:21 »
The original 5 from BattleDroids and Battletech 2nd Ed. boxes were Hansen's Roughrider (Steiner), ELH and Lindon's Battalion (both Davion), 21st Centauri Lancers (Marik) and Wolf's Dragoons (Kurita). Nothing for Liao.

Correct, then the GDL, KH and MAC all got novels and source books as well.

Angrii

• Corporal
« Reply #64 on: 01 May 2022, 10:39:36 »
The Raging Horde also uses the Clan base 5 organization. Of course, they're composed exclusively of Battle Armor troopers.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 01 May 2022, 14:44:19 »

That's a shame: a mercenary unit i would associate with House Liao would be the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers. From what I remember that unit never left House Liao's employ.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 01 May 2022, 15:04:19 »
That's a shame: a mercenary unit i would associate with House Liao would be the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers. From what I remember that unit never left House Liao's employ.

I guess the most thought of as Liao would be them the 15th Dracon, Highlanders or the big MAC.

CJC070

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 01 May 2022, 21:15:49 »
Ah the Knights of St. Cameron. the ones who did the "vanishing act" during the Jihad and took the remnants of Archer's Avengers with them. Maybe we get a hint where they vanished to the souce book for Interstellar Groups gave a hint that the Order has a secret homeworld where they hid a lot of treasures / libraries from the Vatican. Maybe even the holy Grail of all lostech propectors: a complete copy of the Prometheus database

Oh and if the Big Mac abandons House Liao: might the Galatean League be up to hire them? IF said League is still alive and has not come under the wheels of the Mary Sue Wolves

The Knights make a very small appearance in “No Substitue for Victory”  so they may make an appearance in the “Empire Alone” sourcebook.  I could see MAC move to Lyran space just to avoid Capellan politics.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #68 on: 01 May 2022, 21:47:39 »
Pretty sure Lindon's is still around . . . I know they have been Lindon's Company, just depends on the size of the surviving formation.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 02 May 2022, 06:25:15 »
Pretty sure Lindon's is still around . . . I know they have been Lindon's Company, just depends on the size of the surviving formation.

Think they did make an appearance in Tamar Rising but then that was listed as errata.

Guess it was supposed to have been the 21st Centauri Lancers.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 02 May 2022, 21:32:07 »

No, they were errata'd out. :-/ 

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 02 May 2022, 21:42:31 »
Still better than being oopsed out like the Black Thorns, isn't it?  :-\
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 11 May 2022, 15:52:40 »
No, they were errata'd out. :-/

Are we sure this is true? I just checked out the errata for Tamar Rising, and there nothing about Lindon's Battalion mentioned.

Yet...I think you are correct, because I seem to recall reading it somewhere else on these forums.
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 11 May 2022, 21:10:37 »
Are we sure this is true? I just checked out the errata for Tamar Rising, and there nothing about Lindon's Battalion mentioned.

Yet...I think you are correct, because I seem to recall reading it somewhere else on these forums.
It was here in the forums (maybe the Tamar thread) and one of the powers that be said "they are hard dead, that will be errata'd."

no idea the thread, but since I had literally been pitching a Lindon's BN "Spotlight on" the week prior and was shot down with those exact words (and still have the email  :'( :'( hahaha) I'm very sure.  :D ;D ;D

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 11 May 2022, 22:26:20 »
poor Lindon company .. they were destroy without a footnote. 

CJC070

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 11 May 2022, 23:48:54 »
It was here in the forums (maybe the Tamar thread) and one of the powers that be said "they are hard dead, that will be errata'd."

no idea the thread, but since I had literally been pitching a Lindon's BN "Spotlight on" the week prior and was shot down with those exact words (and still have the email  :'( :'( hahaha) I'm very sure.  :D ;D ;D

The White Witches were brought back to light nothing to say you can do with Lindon’s Company.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: 12 May 2022, 20:51:25 »
The White Witches were brought back to light nothing to say you can do with Lindon’s Company.

Ha!  sorry, my friend, but when the email says "NO. THEY ARE DEAD, PITCH A NEW IDEA" I salute the flag and come up with a new idea.  Some OTHER author with a bit more wasta than I can try and take pork chop hill, but that's a big no from me, fam. :) hahaha

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 22 May 2022, 03:51:00 »
Ha!  sorry, my friend, but when the email says "NO. THEY ARE DEAD, PITCH A NEW IDEA" I salute the flag and come up with a new idea.  Some OTHER author with a bit more wasta than I can try and take pork chop hill, but that's a big no from me, fam. :) hahaha

Well you can't argue with that, but how about trying a different unit?

The Waco Rangers, Burr's Black Cobras, Stealthy Tigers or Wilson's Hussars would be interesting to see back.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #78 on: 22 May 2022, 07:56:28 »

The Waco Rangers, Burr's Black Cobras, Stealthy Tigers or Wilson's Hussars would be interesting to see back.

The Black Cobras were operating circa 3132. Just throwing that out there
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Ghaz

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 22 May 2022, 09:58:25 »
The Black Cobras were operating circa 3132. Just throwing that out there

Key word being 'were'  ;)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #80 on: 22 May 2022, 11:21:02 »

I have two in mind, neither of which is on that list...  ;) >:D >:D

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #81 on: 22 May 2022, 16:06:58 »
Key word being 'were'  ;)

We don't know their current status, only that they were surprisingly alive at that point

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Ghaz

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 22 May 2022, 19:43:45 »
We don't know their current status, only that they were surprisingly alive at that point

Except we do.  From the Fourth Federated Suns entry on page 73 of Field Manual 3145:

The Fourth was on Tikonov through the first battle, but withdrew after suffering heavy losses while destroying Burr’s Cobras.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #83 on: 22 May 2022, 20:00:29 »
There you go. I must have missed that.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #84 on: 22 May 2022, 22:20:57 »
poor Lindon company .. they were destroy without a footnote.
Not a footnote, they were part of the AMC attack on Mars in the jihad. It’s was a major event. It’s the reason they can’t be brought back. Too important a tragedy to handwaive.

Waco Rangers did with a Wayne Waco. There is no possible legacy. And their story actually had a conclusion.
Stealthy Tigers were wiped out in the Jihad, but they suffered a minor schism before then. Payne’s Raiders is still around and we’ll see more of them.
Wilson’s Hussars swelled up in th FCCW and then went out with a bang. That’s a story worth telling one day, imo. But there could be a possibility of a down on their luck Wilson still floating around.
Don’t recall about the Cobras. I think they’re dead and the DA era mention was a mistake. 
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 22 May 2022, 22:52:17 »
Not a footnote, they were part of the AMC attack on Mars in the jihad. It’s was a major event. It’s the reason they can’t be brought back. Too important a tragedy to handwaive.
Waco Rangers did with a Wayne Waco. There is no possible legacy. And their story actually had a conclusion.
Stealthy Tigers were wiped out in the Jihad, but they suffered a minor schism before then. Payne’s Raiders is still around and we’ll see more of them.
Wilson’s Hussars swelled up in th FCCW and then went out with a bang. That’s a story worth telling one day, imo. But there could be a possibility of a down on their luck Wilson still floating around.
Don’t recall about the Cobras. I think they’re dead and the DA era mention was a mistake.

ohh the Wayco Rangers have a legacy... it's just not one any sane rational person (including people HIRING units)  would want anything to do with :)

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 23 May 2022, 01:54:26 »
ohh the Wayco Rangers have a legacy... it's just not one any sane rational person (including people HIRING units)  would want anything to do with :)

Weren't the Waco Rangers or wahtever was left of them destroyed to the last man on Outreach after they fired the opening shots of the Jihad? At least that's what I get from the first Jihad book and the FM:Mercenaries Updates. In essence they got their own Trial of Annihilation also called "Condition Feral" by the Dragoons. You really think one of them survived except perhaps they somehow managed to hide from the Dragoons on their homeworld and then also survived the nuclear bombardment from the Blakists? That would be the definiton of plot armor

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: 23 May 2022, 03:09:00 »
Weren't the Waco Rangers or wahtever was left of them destroyed to the last man on Outreach after they fired the opening shots of the Jihad? At least that's what I get from the first Jihad book and the FM:Mercenaries Updates. In essence they got their own Trial of Annihilation also called "Condition Feral" by the Dragoons. You really think one of them survived except perhaps they somehow managed to hide from the Dragoons on their homeworld and then also survived the nuclear bombardment from the Blakists? That would be the definiton of plot armor

Actually per Sharpnal we know some folks left the unit after covnentry when the rangers really went nuts. Also if someone really wanted a "heor to the unit who survived" it'd be easy eneugh "yeah I was visting family on *insert world here*"  that though isn't what I mean when I say the Waco Rangers have a legacy. You spelled out their legacy in your own post.. they are the unit that in an act of betrayal of norms and conventions fired the opening shots of a war that left the inner sphere in ruins.

THAT is the legacy of Waco Rangers. It doesn't matter if survivors where left or not. it doesn't matter of "Wayne Waco had grandchildren off planet who decided to form their own merc unit later on!" (which is really easy to do, most people thought the carlyle line died with Greyson's kid.. until it didn't) the name is so tainted no one will ever wish to ressurect it.