Register Register

Author Topic: Mercenary insurance?  (Read 2892 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
Re: Mercenary insurance?
« Reply #30 on: 04 April 2022, 16:14:24 »
Look at it this way. Is there insurance on Jumpships? Dropships? Both of which can be put into the line of fire in a wartime environment.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #31 on: 04 April 2022, 23:32:40 »
Insurance companies are the type who'd rent you an umbrella when it's sunny and take it away when it starts to rain.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 05 April 2022, 01:38:42 »
Look at it this way. Is there insurance on Jumpships? Dropships? Both of which can be put into the line of fire in a wartime environment.

Jumpships at least have the advantage that both sides are (mostly) trying to avoid shooting directly at them.  The biggest concern would be someone stealing the Jumpship, rather than destroying it.  By maintaining connections with other insurance companies in other Successor States, it won't matter if FedSuns InsurCo loses a Jumpship to a CapCon raid, then the FedSuns can simply transfer the insurance registration to its partner corporation in the CapCon, while the Jumpship owner/Captain just changes who they make the payments to.

Dropships will take damage, but then you get the fine print in the insurance contracts that cover what situations the Dropship will be covered under.  A cargo Dropship making a steady run between a farming and industrial planet will be able to select from a variety of agents and coverage options.  That same cargo Dropship being put into a combat situation will trigger an escape clause in the insurance paperwork.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2022, 07:24:45 »
Jumpships at least have the advantage that both sides are (mostly) trying to avoid shooting directly at them.  The biggest concern would be someone stealing the Jumpship, rather than destroying it.  By maintaining connections with other insurance companies in other Successor States, it won't matter if FedSuns InsurCo loses a Jumpship to a CapCon raid, then the FedSuns can simply transfer the insurance registration to its partner corporation in the CapCon, while the Jumpship owner/Captain just changes who they make the payments to.

Dropships will take damage, but then you get the fine print in the insurance contracts that cover what situations the Dropship will be covered under.  A cargo Dropship making a steady run between a farming and industrial planet will be able to select from a variety of agents and coverage options.  That same cargo Dropship being put into a combat situation will trigger an escape clause in the insurance paperwork.

And yet there will still be insurance and it will a negotiated contract.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 09 April 2022, 11:22:33 »
In our real world,  mercenaries are legally banned.   Now we have PMCs (private military contractors) but IIRC their employment contracts are carefully worded so that they are not actually hired to engage in combat whether they engage in combat or not is a different matter of course

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 09 April 2022, 19:31:55 »
PMCs *are* mercenaries.  We just don’t call them that because the term is impolitic.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 09 April 2022, 21:20:02 »
In our real world,  mercenaries are legally banned.   Now we have PMCs (private military contractors) but IIRC their employment contracts are carefully worded so that they are not actually hired to engage in combat whether they engage in combat or not is a different matter of course

Under current laws and regulations, it is not illegal for a U.S. citizen to provide combat services as a foreign mercenary fighter. The closest legal prohibition to U.S. mercenaries might be found in the Neutrality Act (18 U.S.C. §960). This statute, however, prohibits only acts carried out “within the Unites States” as part of a military expedition against a friendly country.

Under UN based International Law Mercenary Troops are banned but in the world only 46 countrys are signatorys to it. That's out of what? 195?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #37 on: 09 April 2022, 21:36:20 »
This is probably passing into Rule 4 territory.  Maybe we should switch back to mercenaries in the Battletech universe?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #38 on: 09 April 2022, 21:49:54 »
It's just stating facts about the law rather than making positional judgments about it or policy generally, so it's not over the line. However please don't take the conversation in that direction ("Well *I* sure don't like...", "That sounds really poopy...", "oh yes the 'stupidhead' law...", etc etc).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 10 April 2022, 06:30:54 »
Well in the Battletech universe Merc work is pretty standardized. So they most likely is a whole industry that would spring up around it including insurance. Everything from Life Insurance to insurance on equipment and Mechs. Someone would take the financial risks for the constant payoffs.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #40 on: 10 April 2022, 08:38:38 »
The thing is, like military contractors (i might be wrong here) BT mercs do not engage in combat most of the time. Backwater garrisoning, training thenmilitia...m are all very common contracts. We just do not play them much because they are boring, so the merc units of the players tend to be the 0.1% with the very bad luck of finding themselves in combat on a fairly common basis.

So, insurance for stuff that is not blowing things up (including your on equipment by incoming fire) can be a thing. Insurance for the heel actuators of your mech must be a thing, since replacement parts cost money (and obviously you pay a premium if you pilot a quickdraw).

What is less likely without massive penalities is insurance for destroyed combat equipment. But here is where house militaries hace the muscle to cover you in the contract when the private insurance companies would not.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2022, 08:41:26 by Elmoth »

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 10 April 2022, 21:31:10 »
In the BT universe isn't merc insurance something that would be handled by Comstar anyway?

JureSimich

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 11 April 2022, 06:05:03 »
The core issue here is that insurance companies are for profit entities. The insurance costs divided by risk must be higher than the payouts.

So, IF there is any insurance to be found, it will be based strictly about statistical odds of injury/equipment damage. If 5% of mechs on garrison duty get damaged in a year, you will pay at least 6% mech value per yeae for the insurance,and the insurance company will thoroughly vet your pilots quality, contractterms etc.

Things that statistics cannot cover, like warfare, will be excluded from coverage. Just like"acts of god". I went and checked the general policy of one of our regional insureance companies, injury insurance, and all war  damage is simply not covered.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2022, 06:07:21 by JureSimich »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 11 April 2022, 08:54:35 »
I just imagine a merc going to an insurance company:

"Yes, I'd like to insure my used Panther.  Valuation says it's worth 2,095,600 c-bills.  My unit's taking a contract for a planetary assault next month."

"Sure, we can do that.  The premium will be 2,000,000 c-bills."
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #44 on: 11 April 2022, 10:04:44 »
I just imagine a merc going to an insurance company:

"Yes, I'd like to insure my used Panther.  Valuation says it's worth 2,095,600 c-bills.  My unit's taking a contract for a planetary assault next month."

"Sure, we can do that.  The premium will be 2,000,000 c-bills."

AND it would have a prevision about exclusions.  It is like some of the merc contracts where they will not replace or absorb losses on a non-sanctioned mission/action.  So if your liaison did not sign off on it- OR sticking it to you- then you will not get X replaced.  Shrapnel recently had a story about a FWL merc who got stuck- they would forfeit their pay if they surrendered without the permission of select people in the League chain of command . . . except, she knew the majority of them were dead in the action AND they were already out of communication with the chain of command even before they were dismounted.  Or how Sun-Tzu twisted the Avanti's Angel's contractual rights to salvage or captured material, leaving Marcus Gioavanti to agree for the simple reason of not pissing off the head of a Great House.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Gezkill

• Recruit
  • Ilkhan of Clan Waifu
« Reply #45 on: 02 June 2022, 14:15:44 »
I don't think an Insurance company is going to be like "Yeah this will be a good idea" but I wouldn't put past of the Merc outfit negotiating terms for repairs and replacements depending on how they rank on the MRB or MRBC.