Register Register

Author Topic: Republic-Capellan war in the 3080s  (Read 803 times)

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
Republic-Capellan war in the 3080s
« on: 16 January 2021, 22:16:12 »
So I've been planning to write an article on Sarna about the Republic's first war with the CC, and a couple of questions come to mind. Are there any substantial sources apart from FM:3085, and does the latter conflict have a specific name?

Regarding the latter, while the brushfire with the ex-FWL members all falls under 'Operation Golden Dawn' the Capellan war was longer and larger, and involved two major operations so using just 'Operation Golden Fortress' doesn't quite cover the whole conflict IMHO. I'm thinking of just titling the article 'Capellan-Republic War' but if there's something more specific in canon I'll use that.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

"Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen"
George Orwell

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
Re: Republic-Capellan war in the 3080s
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2021, 22:20:27 »
Have you checked JHS: Terra or Final Reckoning? Maybe they have some tidbits, especially the latter.
"Get me some tribal drums and some wordless chanting or get the ****** out."
- Me, on the comparison of the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack to all other Mechwarrior soundtracks

"Tragically, all the Taurians have is Mister Pibb. It's why they're so angry all the time."
- Liam's Ghost

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2021, 00:12:07 »
Wars of the republic era

Operational Turning Points: Capellan Crusades

don't know, I've read neither. but there might be something?
« Last Edit: 17 January 2021, 01:58:32 by Greatclub »

Desu Vult

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2021, 01:52:22 »
Wars of the republic era has some, relating it mainly to later conflicts but does provide some insight.

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2021, 01:52:33 »
The Republic offensive was called Operation Vindolanda, if that helps.

But naw, there's not a whole lot of detail on the entire affair. FM:3085 has the most information, from what I can see, with a few more minor details in TR:3085 and OTP:Stone's Trackers. Other sources, at a quick glance, appear to repeat information that can already be found in the Field Manual.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Metallgewitter

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2021, 03:46:29 »
The Capellan attack was dubbed Golden Fortress and it targeted mostly Capellan worlds that the Republic had occupied during the Jihad. There is a small tidbit that Kai Allard Liao defected when the Capellan High Command ordered his Lancers to attack a planet that was never part of the Confederation (Terra Firma). The attack was meant to force the Republic into a weaker baragin position and targeted worlds through a line from Capolla through Acamar, Woodstock and Angol to Tikonov. Tikonov also sw the destruction of Stone's Stalwarts. But Stone refused to even listen to the demands after the Capellans had won their planets back and he ordered a counter strike. Operation Vindolanda was the attack on Tikonov that saw the decimation of 5 Warrior houses. After that the Republic entered Liao space and crushed the last Capellan reserves in the planet Liao. Final Rekoning hints that the Republic was already preparing for an armed conflict with House Liao.

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2021, 17:17:52 »
Excellent, thank you all for the help :thumbsup:
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

"Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen"
George Orwell

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2021, 01:47:06 »
All I know is the Republic killed Faith McCarron. Death to the Republic! ;)
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

GuyIncognito

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2021, 11:30:50 »
(Nod) Death to the Republic.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2021, 21:07:16 »
All I know is the Republic killed Faith McCarron. Death to the Republic! ;)

She died well. Saddened to see her go though. I find Faith and Rahman’s very interesting  characters

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2021, 23:34:11 »
I always felt it was bit odd that the wars were never given actual names. I know that you have look from the future to the past to establish a name historians give them.

However, MWDA history is mushed up little bit the way it was written by WizKids.  They were referred to as the Crusades. However the individual name per conflict was not really given a individual name. Which is i think leave people confused. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2021, 23:43:00 »
She died well. Saddened to see her go though. I find Faith and Rahman’s very interesting  characters

I was just stoked to find a "Faith McC" (Even if it was McCarron instead of McClosky) in the Battletech universe, but then, alas, she got the axe. :(
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...