Register Register

Author Topic: Star League Academies and the Amaris War  (Read 418 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Star League Academies and the Amaris War
« on: 27 September 2020, 20:46:04 »
The Liberation of Terra books talk about some resistance to the Coup from Sandhurst and other academies in the Terra system.  But what about the academies outside the Terran Hegemony?  As far as I can recall, there’s no mention of The Nagelring, Sanglamore, or Albion in either book.  One suspects that initially they probably continued training cadets, likely at an accelerated pace.  Later on the SLDF established several makeshift academies, including one on Circinus.  Did the remaining academies supply cadre for these institutions?  SLDF academies don’t seem to have fielded training units like later academies did, or at least there’s no mention of such that I’ve found.  Once CHIEFTAIN and LIBERATION got underway, did the instructors and cadets just keep doing their thing, or did they get pulled into the combat zone as replacement troops?  I suspect answers will be thin on the ground (I don’t recall any from the Liberation of Terra books), but I’m sure I missed something.  Speculation also welcome, but let’s try to make sure we keep the two separate.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
Re: Star League Academies and the Amaris War
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2020, 21:57:23 »
A) Rotated into the combat zone.
B) Sent as cadre for ad hoc recruitment/training units
C) Absorbed by the House militaries themselves.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2020, 12:24:41 »
Are A) and B) speculation, or do you have a source for those?

As to C), this is speculation on my part, but I think that’s pretty sure.  I mean, we know the academies themselves passed to the houses, and it’s a pretty good bet that at least some of the faculty stayed.  The question there is how many?  I’d love to see number on percentage of academy faculty and staff who went on the Exodus.  I suspect the student bodies largely stayed, or at least in higher percentages than the faculty and staff; Field Report 2765: Federated Suns mentions how Albion had a loophole in its charter that allowed cadets to buy out the SLDF service requirement, and that by the 2740s the AFFS was regularly doing so in order to be able to enlist those graduates themselves, which suggests that many, if not most, Albion cadets in that era were FedSuns loyalists, not Star League idealists.  Maybe that wasn’t the case for the Nagelring and Sanglamore, I don’t know.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2020, 17:37:36 »
Can't come up with citations, but really, what else are academy graduates gonna do?

These schools were training pipelines for the SLDF and at that point in history, there was still an extant SLDF.
No matter what the Houses said, they still at this point in time paid lip service to the idea of an SLDF and that meant funneling the new graduates into the armed force that was essentially funding these schools. Besides, the SLDF was badly mauled from the Periphery uprising and the conquest of the Rim Worlds. The plan was to rebuild for the eventual push on Terra. That rebuilding would have been next to impossible without a secure pipeline of personnel.

DelevanGuardsCO

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2020, 20:12:43 »
Nagelring is stated to have supplied officers to the SLDF till the end, but it's faculty declined to go on the Exodus and accepted commissions in the LCAF.
"Away to Nahoni, to marsh and to mud
  before I yield to the Regents I'll shed my life's blood"

Metallgewitter

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2020, 07:06:07 »
I would assume that most of the faculty staff stayed. They might be trained and payed by the Star League but they are most likely citizens of their respective member state. And that is probably the deciding factor for what to do after the dissolution of the Star League. Not to mention that the states will pay them their salary.

dgorsman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2020, 13:56:17 »
Would the senior training staff at those facilities been informed about the Exodus plan?  Or would they have been considered to far outside the regular SLDF, being in/of member states they were trying to get away from?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2020, 15:17:05 »
Would the senior training staff at those facilities been informed about the Exodus plan?  Or would they have been considered to far outside the regular SLDF, being in/of member states they were trying to get away from?
AFAIK, the only thing "member state" about Albion, the Nagelring, or Sanglamore was their location.  They seem to have been wholly owned and operated by the SLDF.  We don't, AFAIK, have any idea how big they were or what rank the Academy Commandant would have carried, but I doubt they'd have been considered "of member states".
Sunrise is Coming.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2020, 16:48:58 »
"Returning to Davion control upon the collapse of the Star League, with the bulk of its instructors choosing to stay with the Academy rather than join Operation EXODUS the Albion Military Academy would quickly resume its position as the Federated Suns premier military academy."

Albion was a Fed Suns Academy before it ever became a Star League Academy. It's cadre also decided to remain.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2020, 04:34:24 »
AFAIK he had a core that was in on the whole plan from the start, but also issued out a wider call for interested parties closer to the departure date.