Register Register

Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 102303 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #570 on: 10 March 2022, 21:06:44 »
Could've sworn that something notes that the Home Guard uses camouflage suited to local conditions.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #571 on: 10 March 2022, 21:23:11 »
Liao green for parade, camouflage for field.

Customizations to colours is done as needed, usually hotshots.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #572 on: 11 March 2022, 11:51:35 »
Anybody have a good suggestion for painting Liao green? I'm a bit colorblind so matching paint to art isn't my strong suit...

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #574 on: 11 March 2022, 17:38:34 »
Anybody have a good suggestion for painting Liao green? I'm a bit colorblind so matching paint to art isn't my strong suit...

Camospecs reccomends Citidal Caliban green, with warpstone glow highlights or equivilants

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #575 on: 12 March 2022, 12:10:33 »
Camospecs reccomends Citidal Caliban green, with warpstone glow highlights or equivilants

Thanks! Great find!

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #576 on: 15 March 2022, 20:24:40 »
Can anyone point me in the direction of information about Task Force Chong Che. It gets a passing mention in Grey Watch Protocol and Blood Will Tell. All I could pick up is it tried to breach Fortress Republic in 3146 and the wall destroyed the 3rd Liao Guards and the 7th Capellan Defense Force in their dropships.

Kind of a bummer as after reading FM: 3145, I had planned to paint some 7th CDF because their former urban militia schtick sounds cool.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #577 on: 15 March 2022, 21:33:38 »
Can anyone point me in the direction of information about Task Force Chong Che. It gets a passing mention in Grey Watch Protocol and Blood Will Tell. All I could pick up is it tried to breach Fortress Republic in 3146 and the wall destroyed the 3rd Liao Guards and the 7th Capellan Defense Force in their dropships.

Kind of a bummer as after reading FM: 3145, I had planned to paint some 7th CDF because their former urban militia schtick sounds cool.

You're looking for Shattered Fortress, page 22.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #578 on: 15 March 2022, 22:18:09 »
You're looking for Shattered Fortress, page 22.

Many thanks! Another book to pick up.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

LosTech Toaster

• Recruit
« Reply #579 on: 16 March 2022, 15:53:25 »
I apologize if this has been discussed already or seems like an odd question.

This part of the Sarna article had me wondering. Does the Confederation look the other way or even encourage things like men having multiple lovers?
There are no limits to the size of one's family — indeed it is seen as a service to the state to raise large families, and numerous incentives are available for those who do have many children.
Star Commander in Clan Jade Falcon

ComStar Lives!

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #580 on: 16 March 2022, 17:46:54 »
I see that more as "no the capcon doesn't have a one child policy"

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Hey! Hey! You gonna move, or what?
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #581 on: 16 March 2022, 17:49:07 »
Does the Confederation look the other way or even encourage things like men having multiple lovers?

I can't imagine any multi-cultural star empire is going to have a universal opinion on that.

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #582 on: 16 March 2022, 17:56:04 »
I can't imagine any multi-cultural star empire is going to have a universal opinion on that.

agreed. things like that would be at a planetary level

Hotham

• Sergeant
« Reply #583 on: 16 March 2022, 18:10:44 »
I apologize if this has been discussed already or seems like an odd question.

This part of the Sarna article had me wondering. Does the Confederation look the other way or even encourage things like men having multiple lovers?

I've haven't read anything that states polygamy is illegal, though its not presented as a common practice in the general populace. Nobles are known to have multiple lovers, but that's more greed and lust than obligation. It's more like there is no limit to how many children a family can have. Education is guaranteed by the state for every child as well as jobs oppurtunities from skilled labor to military. The more successful a child is, the better it reflects on the family as a whole.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #584 on: 16 March 2022, 19:52:33 »
I've haven't read anything that states polygamy is illegal

Not only is it not illegal in any Great House (AFAIK, though I agree it TOTALLY probably varies on how encouraged/discouraged it is from world to would) the Periphery 1st edition mentioned there was a religion in the OA that encouraged it.  I specifically wrote a character into an ELH story to highlight it: we (writers and readers) sometimes forget that this is a sci-fi universe, not our own, so I purposely wrote in that deep-cut to illustrate that a lot of family groupings we might think unusual in the -real life now- would totally be allowed and might even be commonplace SOMEWHERE in the Inner Sphere.

So, PERSONALLY, I think the Confederation's stance on kids to same-sex parents would be the same as to hetero-couples: "you can have as many as you can raise prosperously, because the children are OUR future, check-or-hold, Citizen?"  :)
« Last Edit: 16 March 2022, 19:55:54 by five_corparty »

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #585 on: 16 March 2022, 20:22:51 »
Polygamy was made illegal in the CapCon under the rule of Androsar Liao. Blame Kalvin's obsessions causing yet another Andurien War.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2022, 20:28:52 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #586 on: 16 March 2022, 20:28:52 »
Polygamy was made illegal in the CapCon under the rule of Androsar Liao after Kalvin's obsessions caused yet another Andurien War.

Source?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #587 on: 16 March 2022, 20:34:11 »
Both the old and new Liao sourcebooks.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Hotham

• Sergeant
« Reply #588 on: 16 March 2022, 20:44:57 »
Polygamy was made illegal in the CapCon under the rule of Androsar Liao. Blame Kalvin's obsessions causing yet another Andurien War.

So a definite no on polygamy, at least in terms of legal marriage.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #589 on: 16 March 2022, 22:41:20 »
So a definite no on polygamy, at least in terms of legal marriage.

Liao: "no polygamy, citizens."
people: "not like we can AFFORD more than one spouse in THIS economy!"
Liao: "what was that?"
people: "nothing, oh mighty celestial one!"

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #590 on: 17 March 2022, 17:31:49 »
I'm trying to figure out if the Harloc Raiders of 3145 would be using a lot of "foreign" mechs based on this passage from FM3145, P. 33:

"In the latter half of the 31st century, many of the unit's personnel were former mercenaries struggling to earn a living and private mech owners fleeing [the Republic's] attempts to confiscate their war machines, but the Raiders of today are just as likely survivors of units shattered in the Republic, Free Worlds, or the Commonwealth."

Would you interpret that--as a unit full of former RAF, former FWLM and former LCAF Mechwarriors who may have brought mechs from their former nations--or does it mean a bunch of CCAF Mechwarriors whose units got wrecked fighting against those nations?

It could be read both ways. Although one data point is the book says elsewhere that the Raiders are the only unit in the CCAF where the Mechwarriors are largely not Capellan citizens.

It would be cool if the former because I have a lot of Capellan designs already and would enjoy a mix of Republic, Lyran and League mechs in a Capellan unit, but I don't want to fall prey to simple wishful thinking...
« Last Edit: 17 March 2022, 17:34:08 by Grizzly »

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #591 on: 17 March 2022, 20:26:54 »
I interpreted it as people from the Republic, FWL and LC. not units broken fighting them (as the capcon's not been fighting the FWL and LC much.) the regiment is BASICLY the "capcon foriegn legion" IMHO

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #592 on: 17 March 2022, 21:48:24 »
Would you interpret that--as a unit full of former RAF, former FWLM and former LCAF Mechwarriors who may have brought mechs from their former nations--or does it mean a bunch of CCAF Mechwarriors whose units got wrecked fighting against those nations?

I intended the former when I wrote it.  :)

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #593 on: 17 March 2022, 22:13:12 »
I intended the former when I wrote it.  :)

Well if that doesn't settle it. Thank you, sir! I can finally justify a Hatchetman in my Capellan units.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #594 on: 24 March 2022, 21:11:51 »
Which units would you all say are the best options for Capellan AAA? Other than ASFs/VTOLs of their own, of course.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #595 on: 24 March 2022, 21:55:49 »
Classic AC2 Carriers or the Regulator Arrow and RAC config.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #596 on: 24 March 2022, 22:04:58 »
Air Defense Arrow does seem like the best play. May I suggest the THR-3L Thunder? Mobile, stealth, can kick a 'Mech to death if necessary.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #597 on: 24 March 2022, 22:39:21 »
Air Defense Arrow does seem like the best play. May I suggest the THR-3L Thunder? Mobile, stealth, can kick a 'Mech to death if necessary.
Powerful but rather expensive for AA purpose, in C-bills and BV. Also questionable amount of ammo for the task, though that does apply to just about anything with this variant.
Classic Catapult C3 offers only half the ammo but is much cheaper. C5 is better and cheaper than the Thunder for this (and jump jets keep its mobility roughly equal at least in more difficult terrain).
For something even cheaper, perhaps simply Demolisher Arrow IV variant, at least for defensive operations.

If ballistics are preferred, there's some argument for the Catapult C2. 2xLB-2X and LRM-15s. Or Men Shen A or B perhaps. And Snake 1Vs and 2Bs have LB-10X, so they can pull double duty in a pinch.
Cheap? AC Carrier LB-X variants or LB-X Vedettes perhaps.
Defensive ballistic platforms? Partisans of some variety, though Partisan AA Vehicles (the Dark Age wheeled thing) work in many situations reasonably.

Think best depends on use case heavily though. Defensive platform or something that's covering a mobile force? Difficult or open terrain? Is expected enemy air support heavy or light?
« Last Edit: 24 March 2022, 22:42:08 by Empyrus »
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #598 on: 24 March 2022, 23:42:35 »
Powerful but rather expensive for AA purpose, in C-bills and BV.

Don't use either, so I can't comment.

Also questionable amount of ammo for the task, though that does apply to just about anything with this variant.

On the contrary, with an attack that can hit up to two low-altitude hexes away, has flak bonus, thresholds DropShips and adds a +1 to the Control roll?  10 shots is more than enough to keep your company safe from enemy aero.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #599 on: 25 March 2022, 00:31:22 »
On the contrary, with an attack that can hit up to two low-altitude hexes away, has flak bonus, thresholds DropShips and adds a +1 to the Control roll?  10 shots is more than enough to keep your company safe from enemy aero.
Sure, if you commit the 'Mech to that task alone, and have reason to expect to need that powerful AA. But given the utility of Arrow IVs as Cappies have all sorts of nasty munitions for them, and the fact the 'Mech has no other real weapons (for its mass), i'd prefer to have other types of ammo available rather than specializing in one type.

I can see value in multi-Shadow Lance formation where cost is not a problem. Though if i were running a Shadow Company with THR-3L for AA role, i'd probably prefer having two of them, each with 5 shots of ADA and 5 shots of whatever else. Still have 10 shots total but there would be ever so slight redundancy in case one gets blown up, or higher volume of fire if needed.

(Incidentally there are only two other Stealth Arrow IV platforms: a unique prototype Danais vehicle and a Planetlifter variant. Perhaps Capellans should expand this selection a bit more...)
-What's the difference?