Register Register

Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 93317 times)

Grizzly

• Sergeant
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #660 on: 13 August 2022, 15:54:39 »
The TSEMP's advanced level equipment though. Even if a tournament is using Dark Age's adjusted TL equipment, the TSEMP is not part of that. If BMM-tech in a game, the TSEMP is not included.
Jut something to consider.

That's a good point I had forgotten. I'm pretty sure it only applies to TW so I will probably mod a Men Shen G for my WNRP350 list and just use it for Alpha Strike.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #661 on: 13 August 2022, 15:57:35 »
Ah sure, no idea what's tournament legal for AS and what's not.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #662 on: 13 August 2022, 16:17:17 »
TSEMP or not I  have to say that after playing Capellans for less than a year, I find their forces have a tool for everything and lots of synergy and character. It's been a blast. Xin Sheng!
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #663 on: 20 August 2022, 20:17:34 »
I keep reworking my Capellan lances. At least i've assembled most of them... had assembled all, but i made additions and changes.

Three companies. As i always planned though differently nowadays from my original plan... All are for FedCom Civil War era, from 3061 onward.
House Hiritsu, with most designs being Xin Sheng ones except a "TRO3055" lance with Wraith, Snake, Thunder and Huron Warrior. Least changed of all my plans.
Second is a St. Ives company, probably 2nd St. Ives Lancers. For CapCon-St. Ives War, and afterwards just another Capellan unit. Not very advanced technologically overall, as five designs are introductory level. Probably need to figure out advanced variants for those, figure things like Cataphract 1X are rather dated when the Jihad begins.
Third is unusual: The Shin Legion. I determined i have many minis of 'Mechs common to the House Kurita (result of getting a lot of Star League 'Mechs) but that would mean i can't actually do a FRR unit as well as that needs to be mix of Kurita, Steiner and ComStar. But i figured that if i make a Shin Legion company with some Capellan 'Mechs and mostly Kuritan designs, i'll make effective use of my options.

Here's the lineup for the Shin Legion company:
Code: [Select]
Recon Lance:
Raptor Light RTX1-O Missile Boat*
Jenner Light JN7-K Striker
Raven Light RVN-3L Scout
Kintaro Medium KTO-19 Skirmisher

Heavy Striker Lance:
Cataphract Heavy CTF-3L Sniper
Lancelot Heavy LNC25-01 Skirmisher
Exterminator Heavy EXT-4D Skirmisher
Charger Assault CGR-3K Skirmisher

Direct Fire Lance:
Catapult Heavy CPLT-K3 Sniper
Mauler Assault MAL-1R Sniper
Atlas Assault AS7-K Sniper
The Charger 3K and Atlas K are used by Capellans and Dracs both, Avatars are used by anyone, and the Raven and Cataphract are very Capellan. Per FMDC, the Shin Legion received Star League-era designs circa 3051, hence the Lancelot, Kinta and Exterminator. Figure this makes the unit interesting unusual for Capellans.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #664 on: 22 August 2022, 08:42:00 »
Shin Legion is a really under represented unit. I like your interpretation.

Have you thought about battle armor support for the warrior house?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #665 on: 22 August 2022, 10:07:08 »
Shin Legion is a really under represented unit. I like your interpretation.

Have you thought about battle armor support for the warrior house?

Unfortunately i may end up cancelling the Shin Legion plan for stupidest of reasons: ran out of superglue to assemble minis and i can't get new right away. And i'd really prefer to get to painting sooner than later so i'm thinking i'll stop assembling minis here. Can't sort out my minis to proper forces without few i didn't get to assemble, so i came up with new forces but this required dropping the Shin Legion.

This said, i'm very much keeping the idea alive. And depending how ilKhan era will go, i might actually do an unusual step and do my own House unit styled after the Shin Legion in that it would use mix of Capellan and Kuritan units. The Unity Pact and its unstable nature, and Capellans and Kuritas sharing border makes this rather possible. Or i'll just do Shin Legion that works as my own reborn Shin Legion, to make it work for both eras.
The Shin Legion has extra benefit in that for 3030s and early Clan Invasion games it can be played as a Kurita unit.
EDIT This possibly with the next set of miniatures i intend to get.

As for battle armor, my very original idea was to eventually expand these units to nearly battalion sizes, with a company of vehicles and and a platoon of battle armor (with transports if necessary). But cost and availability of units has essentially derailed these plans. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Potential House Hiritsu expansion probably shouldn't have a full company of vehicles but perhaps several platoons of infantry in place of most vehicles, Hiritsu Infantry Battalion had a lance of Heavy LRM Carriers around St. Ives War though. Definitively the first unit i'll expand if i'll get a chance to do that.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2022, 11:07:03 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #666 on: 23 August 2022, 05:37:14 »
This said, i'm very much keeping the idea alive. And depending how ilKhan era will go, i might actually do an unusual step and do my own House unit styled after the Shin Legion in that it would use mix of Capellan and Kuritan units. The Unity Pact and its unstable nature, and Capellans and Kuritas sharing border makes this rather possible. Or i'll just do Shin Legion that works as my own reborn Shin Legion, to make it work for both eras.
The Shin Legion has extra benefit in that for 3030s and early Clan Invasion games it can be played as a Kurita unit.

If you want an IlClan era unit with some DCMS designs mixed in, I wonder if the 4th MAC wouldn't be a good starting point. We don't know how salvage was worked out in their withdrawal from Northwind but they might have dragged off a few of the House Kurita mechs they downed.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #667 on: 23 August 2022, 07:53:12 »
If you want an IlClan era unit with some DCMS designs mixed in, I wonder if the 4th MAC wouldn't be a good starting point. We don't know how salvage was worked out in their withdrawal from Northwind but they might have dragged off a few of the House Kurita mechs they downed.
Huh, where was this, Shattered Fortress?
Interesting possibility, though i don't like the 4th MAC paint scheme much. Have considered 1st MAC but kinda low on my priority list.

Really hope the CC-DC border stays for some time, offers an interesting alternative, more enemies.
-What's the difference?

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #668 on: 23 August 2022, 08:33:23 »
Huh, where was this, Shattered Fortress?

Described in Shattered Fortress, in general terms; get the ground-level viewpoint in Michael Ciaravella's Highlander Covenant duology (Grey Watch Protocol and Paid In Blood).
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #669 on: 23 August 2022, 09:02:25 »
Looks like the Cappies sent 4th MAC, 1st Canopian Lancers, House Imarra and Laurel's Legion to Northwind. But the fight against Kuritas seems to have been by 4th MAC only, i read the section from Shattered Fortress right (p92 onward).
-What's the difference?

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #670 on: 24 August 2022, 08:59:34 »
Looks like the Cappies sent 4th MAC, 1st Canopian Lancers, House Imarra and Laurel's Legion to Northwind. But the fight against Kuritas seems to have been by 4th MAC only, i read the section from Shattered Fortress right (p92 onward).

I admit I only knew what was in the recent Highlander novels.

On a side note, despite issues in those books, I though Sang Shao Lindsey Baxter was a strong character that deserves more fiction appearances. We need more than Danai to rep the CCAF officer corp in the IlClan era.

HeavyArmorMecha

• Sergeant
« Reply #671 on: 25 September 2022, 23:53:31 »
Hi, I'm curious about some lore questions.

I know the CCAF was gutted in the 4th SW, but exactly how much is lost in the war?

Does anyone have a TO&E comparison for the CCAF before and after the 4th SW?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #672 on: 26 September 2022, 00:35:15 »
Looking at Xotl's RATs, which include some relevant information like force sizes in 'Mech regiments (sourced from actual official stuff), the CCAF had 40ish regiments when the 4th Succession War started, and when the War of '39 started, the RATs estimate a bit over 11 regiments.
In other words, the CCAF probably lost roughly 75% of its 'Mech forces. Or even more, and did some rebuilding afterwards.

That 11+ regiments stayed until 3050s when they seem to have started really rebuilding.

Specifics probably can be found from some books though i'm uncertain where.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2022, 00:38:29 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #673 on: 26 September 2022, 13:53:56 »
I'll bet a full regiment is the Arrow armed Urbie.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #674 on: 27 September 2022, 09:22:13 »
Hi, I'm curious about some lore questions.

I know the CCAF was gutted in the 4th SW, but exactly how much is lost in the war?

Does anyone have a TO&E comparison for the CCAF before and after the 4th SW?

Check out this thread. It has the answers you seek.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/the-successor-states/ccaf-in-the-4th-sw/30/

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #675 on: 30 October 2022, 21:47:17 »
So, fellow citizens, does anyone have any opinions about the new Vindicator? Personally, I'm in love, but I will wait to wax poetic until others have had their turn.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #676 on: 31 October 2022, 05:15:13 »
The new Vindicator is a work of art. I love how it doubles down on it's reputation of being nigh unkillable.

Between it, the Wraith and the tanks, the CCAF has gotten some really nice new toys.
Jude Melancon lives!

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #677 on: 06 November 2022, 15:38:12 »
I assume we're talking about the plastic mini? It looks so good. Having it in the beginner's box will also introduce a lot of new players to this great mech and faction. Can't wait for new record sheets.

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #678 on: 06 November 2022, 16:17:20 »
I assume we're talking about the plastic mini? It looks so good. Having it in the beginner's box will also introduce a lot of new players to this great mech and faction. Can't wait for new record sheets.

I imagine they're talking about the new varient in the recguide. with a Clan ER PPC, CASE II protecting the ammo, reinforced structure. she's a beaut.

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #679 on: 06 November 2022, 19:25:36 »
Hot damn. I missed that issue!

Gorgon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #680 on: 07 November 2022, 18:39:39 »
It also gives the Capellans the Wraith as a domestic product, some nice Bulldog variants, new Demolishers. And they also partake in the new Pegasus which just works. Overall, a good haul for the CCAF all around.
Jude Melancon lives!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Dreaming of a White Christmas.....
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #681 on: 25 November 2022, 10:07:48 »
The TR5 Wraith is a thing of beauty, & I say that as someone who was skeptical of any Wraith with a smaller engine. For me, it's probably the single best thing in the RecGuides.

I really could have done without another 4/6 Vindicator, though. Reinforced structure be damned, with its primary and precious main weapon being arm-mounted it can be rendered combat ineffective very quickly without having to kill it outright. The inevitable 8L Vindicator needs to be 5/8 or better.

The upgrades of the combat vehicles aren't particularly exciting but were all much needed and long overdue. Glad to see everything coming up Fuel Cell!

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #682 on: 26 November 2022, 09:17:50 »
I talked with someone in the know and they said the Vindicator was really limited by WYSIWYG especially the leg mounted jump jets. I'm just glad it offers something new (headcapper).

The Wraith I'm actually more skeptical off because the TR1 is such a good backstabber already for less BV.

Looking at vol. 26 last night, I think the Flea 21 is another decent stealth backstabber but I rarely see conventional infantry on the board.

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #683 on: 05 December 2022, 12:59:27 »
I'm a little surprised the VND-7L didn't get CR in Alpha Strike rules.

Has anyone tried the Galleon 201 yet? I'm thinking it needs some precision ammo and some fa Shih riding the top.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #684 on: 05 December 2022, 17:34:59 »
I'm a little surprised the VND-7L didn't get CR in Alpha Strike rules.

Has anyone tried the Galleon 201 yet? I'm thinking it needs some precision ammo and some fa Shih riding the top.

Reinforced only gives a -1 in classic so it doesnt qualify for CR. I asked the same thing about the Mastodon
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Register